• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I brought a new toy home today to add to the 1911 collection. It is a Kimber Pro Carry II and is the first Kimber I've bought. I currently carry a RIA Compact and intend to keep carrying that until the Kimber is broken in. Once that happens, I'll probably put the RIA back to standby gun.

The main reason I picked this up was to make carry a bit easier and with a shorter barrel and alloy frame, and this should help. It's funny though, but after buying this and comparing it to the RIA, I'm even more impressed with the RIA in terms of bang for the buck. I am looking forward to carrying this though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

hunt4fun

Retired
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    North Salem
    Nice gun. I'm considering several 1911s right now. What led you to the Kimber? I know they have a good reputation, but so do others.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    That is exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you get it? I would like to go take a look at them. did you get a good deal?

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Looks nice - my guess is it came from Elmores? Either that or a private sale is my guess. Compared to Kimbers I can see how the RIA would seem like a great value - Kimber uses MIM parts just as RIA does and (in my estimation) gets a lot of $$$ out of their name. That's not to say they're not fine pistols (which they are - quite nice as a matter of fact) but you pay a lot of $$$ just for the Kimber name IMO.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I picked this one up at Bradis for $769 and they had its sister sitting next to it. There really is nothing that lead me to the Kimber other than it having what I wanted in the way of being small and light (for a 1911 in 45 acp). I'm happy with the RIA, but want to do night sights and when I started adding up everything I wanted to do, it just made sense to go with the Kimber. As I said earlier, the RIA compares well to the Kimber and, truth be told, I think the RIA has the better trigger. That will most likely change as the Kimber is broken in, but at the moment, the Kimber trigger has a hair of roughness just before it breaks that the RIA does not.

I wish I had bought it at Elmore's but his prices keep me going elsewhere. I bought a full size Springfield from him and am having him so some work on another 1911 I have and like his shop. I just can't afford to buy much from him. It's a shame too, since I've bought nearly a dozen handguns in the last year and each time I check on prices there, he comes in almost a hundred bucks higher than most other places are asking. To be fair, I haven't tried to see if he'll match anyone else's price and should probably start checking on that.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It was NIB and listed at $779 but he knocked another $10 off because I probably looked like I could use the $10 :). There was a second one there that was identical for $789. I probably would not have bought it, but thought it was a good deal that was hard to pass up. I can't wait to get to the range and run some ammo through it.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Nice gun, but the RIA isn't junk either. My RIA has an excellent trigger. When I bought it I went in to get a Springfield and ended up with the RIA. A lot less money and better trigger.

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    I loved my UC 2! It was the first metal frame gun I ever purchased. I couldn't believe how much easier it was to shoot, considering my two previous were HK USP's in .40. Watch your ejector on it, mine sheared off in the first 200 rounds I put down the barrel. Not sure why, other than it was a MIM part. Also, I had some trouble with my mags. Not sure why either. I eventually settled on Mecgars. Happy shooting.

Top Bottom