• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Specifically, powders...more specifically, powders that meter well from a Lee pro auto disc.
    What ones should I look for?
    Which ones to avoid?

Thank you.

I like the ball powders like Win 748, stick powders like Varget work well although are a little harder to meter.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Tac works well for me in my Dillon 650. I weighed out 100 dumps at 24.5g and all but 2 were within .1 grains. The 2 that were out were dumped back to back and both were .3g light. Couldn't figure out why they were light.

Matt

Rockhound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    As was mentioned, ball powders will meter better than stick and are usually a little less $$. H335 has worked well for me for plinking rounds for the AR. Cleaner than BLC-2. The new CFE223 might be interesting, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

If you're making up these rounds for an AR, be sure to pick up some of the CCI#41 primers. They are thicker and harder than standard or benchrest primers and afford a margin of safety on floating firing pin rifles.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Update: picked up some 62gr pulls locally for cheap. Then I called indiana gun club and got 2 lbs of h335 and 1k win small rifle primers. That's the only brand they had. How much worse are they than a cci 41?

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Sounds like you don't need a shopping list now, but you are going to need more H335 if you want to load all 1000 of your bullets.
    If you want powder at the gun show, go on Friday. I doubt there will be much left on Saturday/Sunday unless its way overpriced, which is likely.

Do you have a brass trimmer?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Sounds like you don't need a shopping list now, but you are going to need more H335 if you want to load all 1000 of your bullets.
    If you want powder at the gun show, go on Friday. I doubt there will be much left on Saturday/Sunday unless its way overpriced, which is likely.

Do you have a brass trimmer?

yes, I have a lyman case prep.center and an adapter to use the lee trimmer on it so it's a all in 1 unit. Supposedly. I haven't used it yet. Still waiting on a turret so I can size and deprime then fire up the lyman.

I know I need more powder. It's all the wallet would allow today. I figured I will try another powder when funds allow and compare them.

Bigdodge

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2014
    Kokomo
    new loader here as well. From what I have gathered a 1000 cci primers should go for about $30 or less? Can someone elaborate on what "overpriced" would be for a good 9mm and 223 powder. in general anyway. Still figuring that part out and dont want to be taken too bad as I sure my ignorance would show.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I've only been reloading a couple years but about $32.99 is my upper limit per pound for usual powders. There are a few that go for that normally but I'm not so picky that I will pay for those powders. $24-$28/lb is fairly normal pricing in my experience.
    Last few 1000 primers I have bought have all been over $30. $32-$34 has been what I paid, mostly at Profire.
    Matt

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    new loader here as well. From what I have gathered a 1000 cci primers should go for about $30 or less? Can someone elaborate on what "overpriced" would be for a good 9mm and 223 powder. in general anyway. Still figuring that part out and dont want to be taken too bad as I sure my ignorance would show.

At the 1500 show, primers are (or should be) $30. Take cash. Some vendors don't charge tax on cash purchases. Ask for a "cash discount". Not exactly legal, but I will save $ where I can.

Powders at the show will be at or above $30. At Indy gun club, I just got powder for $21/lb but that is a rare occurance. Some powders just plain cost more too so don't let a couple dollars keep you from buying what you need. Even at $30/lb, its still cheaper than buying 8lbs online and eating the shipping and hazmat fees.

Whoever said "if you want powder, go Friday" is EXACTLY right. The deals will be gone the first hour. What's left is higher priced and or unobtanium.

Bigdodge

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2014
    Kokomo
    thanks for the advise guys. now just have to figure out how to get there on friday when they open AND get some sleep. I work nights so its going to be tricky.

Top Bottom