• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    This post is "simulcast" from my THR Thread.

:)

I finally got to shoot my new SP101. I bought a 3 incher as a "companion piece" to my tried and true 2 & 1/4 . The 2 incher will now be my primary Summer Carry gun while the new 3 incher becomes my Winter/Jacket weather Carry Gun. While I love the two inch gun I always thought the 3 inch looked like the ultimate revolver for a small handed shooter. I dunno it just looks perfectly balanced to me. And I think I was mostly right at least for ME. The first thing I did was swap the factory grips (which look/feel great but don't fill in behind the trigger guard enough for me) for Hogue soft rubber.

My main carry load in the SP101 is Remington Golden Saber 125 grain JHPs but I didn't have any to spare right now. So I opted to put 50 rounds of my "next best" choice - the Remington 110 grain JHPs. The Scalloped jacketed Remington has very similar recoil to the Medium Velocity Golden Sabers anyway & POA/POI isn't all that far off at the relativity short ranges I shoot at. Also the fact is I don't shoot tight enough groups to whine about POA/POI!

Picking up the 3 inch SP101 it just feels perfect - the balance is awesome and the sites just line right up for me. So does my 2 inch SP but this is just a bit better I think. I shoot at the 10 yard mark. I like to keep it simple so I just use standard white paper plates as targets. I was aiming for the center and firing DA only. I like to do twice around the cylinder 10 shot groups. I have a mild tremor in my hands AND I haven't been regularly practicing for about 10 years ( I am correcting that now -going once a month started in May). Now that the excuses are out of the way -I took a picture of my best group for posterity. I was fairly pleased with it. My speed I would describe as "medium-fast" -not rapid fire but a steady clip. This was the LAST of my five 10 shot groups and the best oddly enough. I know it looks like 9 hits but trust me that cluster that looks like 3 shots is actually 4. :) I never claimed to be a really good shot but this was pretty good for ME.

It was a decent range trip. The only public range around here is Strictly Shooting. It's not the greatest but it's OK and a short trip from my house. I hate indoor ranges when there are other people shooting so I tend to get there as soon as it opens and usually I am alone for the 15- 20 minutes it takes me to shoot 50 rounds. This time there were already 2 guys there shooting their 9mms. It always kills me when these 9mm guys are rattling off there standard pressure loads and then I fire my .357. Their like BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG_BANG and then I'm like WHOOM_WHOOM_WHOOM_WHOOM_WHOOM! That usually makes them get quiet for a little bit.

"I'm sorry did I break your concentration?"

:):

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    For the two incher I have a Galco FLETCH high ride with thumb-break. Not many high production holster makers offer anything for the 3 incher. So you have to go custom/semi custom for that. After a ton of searching I had Ray at Lobo Leather make me one for the 3 incher. I actually ordered the holster about 6 weeks before I got the gun. I'll get some pics up of the leather in a bit.

URLs

Lobo Gun Leather - Home

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    leather2.jpg
    leather.jpg

cowboywitek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Noblesville IN
    great info man! I'm looking at the sp101 2 1/4" for summer carry. is the accuracy about the same for you with both guns? nice piece, thanks for the report.
    TW

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Yeah, I would say the accuracy is very similar for me. The 3 incher just "points" easier. And I think it looks cooler.

And about the leather -both of these rigs are outside the waist band pancake style. You can certainly get plenty of inside the pants versions though. I always found the inside the pants holsters PAINFUL...but a lot of people love them.

FCSD 23-18

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I just traded an LC9 for a 3 inch SP101 in 38 Spc only,I havent had the gun out shooting yet but I have fallen in love with its looks and feel. I am considering sending it off to have an adjustable rear sight installed and an action job.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The 3" is an often overlooked (and under-appreciated, imho) version of the SP101. Nice choice. :yesway:

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    I'm upgrading from a .38 special 637 Smith and Wesson. I think I'd like the 3" barrel of the SP101 much better. Which do you prefer, the 2" or 3" for general .357 magnum useage? I have .38 specials so I expect to be using the SP 101 for just about all my .357 usage.

~LT

gblank

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I just bought the very same gun a few months ago. LOVE it. I really struggled trying to decide on the 2 or 3". Finally decided on the 3. just seems to fit me a little better.
    I really had a hard time looking for the holster. I finally just went and got a Uncle Mikes super belt slide just to have something. It actually doesn't feel to bad. Like the look of the one you had made.

I gave up on strictly shooting's range. I never could get in there at the times I wanted so I went and joined Red Brush. Good decision if I do say so myself. I can go there almost anytime I want. Its a good club to join.

Top Bottom