• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I agree, I put together a 224 Valkyrie once it came out. It doesnt seem to be growing. If the 6mm ARC can be a versatile hunting cartridge along with the DoD involvement I think will help it in the cartridge market.

This is my hope as well. I like what I see and the potential for a fun caliber for my wife to use in an AR platform for target shooting (up to 500 yards once the nearby range is done!) without being battered by recoil. For some reason she doesn't get the same enjoyment that I do from 300wm...

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Hornady is loading the 103 ELD-X in the 6 ARC...that's a fantastic hunting bullet.

I had marginal success with a 107 SMK out of my 6 Dasher (not entirely surprised...), switched to the 108 ELD and have ZERO concerns using it on deer.

I was looking for some results with the 6mm diameter bullets and your post helps. Its not a caliber/dia that I have any experience with currently.

Did you have any still travel quite a bit after being shot or tracking involved? I’m concerned probably most about the penetration and want to be ethical in my hunting. Appreciate your insight into the 6mm bullets!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    High BC 6mm bullets have pretty high sectional density so penetration generally isn't an issue.

The 107gr SMK was about 50yd with an impact velocity of likely >2650fps; I expected pretty decent yaw and fragmentation due to impact velocity but it mostly penciled through with minimal blood trail. This was somewhat different than reported results with other Matchkings like the 6.5mm 142 and 30cal 168/175gr but again, not *entirely* unexpected.

Every tipped Hornady I've ever used has significant fragmentation with good penetration, especially with some velocity behind it...gel results from Hornady TAP (which used AMAX and now ELD-M bullets) is pretty impressive IMO.

The ELD-X is more designed to expand than the ELD-M while being less likely to frag hitting bone, but I honestly would not worry about either bullet's effectiveness on whitetail deer.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    Interesting experience on the smk’s as ive only heard good reports. I have no experience with them myself as I have mainly had luck with core-lokt or interlocks.

I did put in an order for the eld-x to load in my 300 win mag and will see how they work with my loads. Thanks for the suggestions!!

Top Bottom