• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Saw the announcement and some pics on another site; looks interesting. Seems like the extended upper side rails would be a natural spot for a tac light. I also like that the lower HG doesn't leave a big hole or gap between the rounded handguard profile and the squared receiver profile like the MI system does, and that there's no extra contact/stress on the barrel like there is with the Ultimak gas tube rail.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I like the price point, made in the USA and I know it was tested very hard before bringing to market. I also like how small the lower portion is, many other rails are way to large and difficult to hold. I'll be putting these on some of my AK's! I did confirm that they will fit on the AK74's as well.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    My only concern would be heating in the lower handguard, given that it is metal and has no internal heat shield. The positioning of the vent holes might make shooting it without gloves uncomfortable. Thoughts?

Will these be available in your online store, as well? Any INGO discount?

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    The positioning of the vent holes might make shooting it without gloves uncomfortable. Thoughts?

The post sample we have get's way to hot because the heat has no where to go, it's sealed up like an oven. My experience has been that ventilated rails allow the heat to escape so it does not heat up as bad. The good thing is that you can mount a forward grip getting your hand off of the metal.

We are going to place one of these on our post sample and test it out. As far as an INGO discount I'll let Jahred work that out for the August 1500.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Made in USA should help with 922 parts count as well! Very nice.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I wonder if you can really co-witness on this rail?

Looks like it is a lot lower than the Ultimak, plus James says it will so I am sure it will. I'll see if we can get an AK done up to show folks at the Indy 1500.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Looks like it is a lot lower than the Ultimak, plus James says it will so I am sure it will. I'll see if we can get an AK done up to show folks at the Indy 1500.
    Sweet! I'll have to look at it at the show. If it has a decent co-witness, then I might have to get rid of my UTG rail:D
    :+1:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Co-witness is probably out, but lower 1/3 should probably be good to go.

I might be interested depending on price. Im NOT an tacticool AK guy, but I like to have options. :)

MattCFII

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Danville
    I heard A. these were going to be made by Choate and B. a little cheaper...

Here's some stills:
    AK Rail Installation | Facebook

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/will111167/100_1696.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/will111167/100_1695.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/will111167/100_1694.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/will111167/100_1698.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/will111167/100_1697.jpg

My only concern would be heating in the lower handguard, given that it is metal and has no internal heat shield. The positioning of the vent holes might make shooting it without gloves uncomfortable. Thoughts?
    In general most of these metal rails are well ventilated and have a little heat sink action going on is my understanding so they tend to do okay with heat.

I think its F-ING AWESOME!!!:rolleyes:

Jeez.. whos that moron with Yeager. I've often thought about a rail but they always seemed heavy and unnecessarily awkward.
    Yeah a little annoying, also agree in general with the weight issue. But when I look at the specs it seems that railed handguards aren't that much heavier since they are aluminum, it would more be all that junk people are going to hang off of it.
    Co-witness is probably out, but lower 1/3 should probably be good to go.

I might be interested depending on price. Im NOT an tacticool AK guy, but I like to have options. :)
    I have a hard time seeing that it would even 1/3 dispite what Yeager says. The lower Ultimak will only do a 1/3. Granted it seems lower than most railed handguards but to me looks too high still which is sad since it is its own tube. Now I might be wrong once it hits the streets.

Again I agree that it is a little tacticool for me but I like it on the surface better than most other railed handguards for the lack of side rails on the bottom handguard. Keeps the more traditional handguard thickness.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I heard A. these were going to be made by Choate and B. a little cheaper...

I believe you are being miss-informed. If you don't mind please PM me who told you this so that I can pass it on, I would appreciate it.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    This rail is in use by the U.S. Military and is built to the Mil-Spec requirements. This is the only rail that meets Mil-Spec requirements. You can use your iron sights when installed but co-witnessing may be difficult depending on the optics chosen. A quick detach optic mount will solve any issues.

I stole this from James on another forum.

4PWW9

Marksman
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Mishawaka
    Just to add a few comments...
    The rail profiles are machined to Mil-Std 1913 specs, of which there is a dimension of a height of .367 called out on every rail including the top. You can not co-witness with an optic but can use the fixed sights without an optic. Use a QD optic mount and no issues. There is a "add-on" quick-detach optic rail that will be released later that mounts on the top and cantalivers back over the receiver and still allows use of fixed sights while mounted.
    Heat transfer is minimal, I've had AK barrels white hot and can still hold the forearm without burning my hand. I like running my AK's with a stubby forward grip on the bottom rail now.
    These rails were made to fill a military requirement and were tested extensively on select-fire AK's. Several AK's were completely shot out during the test. Only a small quantity of these rails were released commercially for now, get them while you can, it may be awhile before more are available due to required Govt fulfillment.
    And not only are they Made In USA, but made right here in Indiana.

Top Bottom