• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I love how people on other news sources for this story are flipping out about "rusting" and how road salt is going to make the alum F series "virtually disintegrate" as it drives. The corrosion forms a non-flaking outer layer that won't continue into the base metal... I would prefer that over a rusting steel panel.

As for carrying capacity: I would imagine their engineers researched, developed and tested various designs to make sure it would withstand what they rate it for... Some folks were hollering (despite not even HAVING one yet) about how it's going to stretch the frame and they can't tow a 5th wheel.

Some people are just complaining to complain, and know nothing about what they are talking about... lol Kinda excited b/c I want to see what the various manufacturers take lead on this and start putting lighter carbon and aluminum in cars to make 'em lighter. Lord knows they spent decades adding material to the bodies and airbags to put the weight they just took off back on! :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I think it is funny that people who haven't seen one yet are complaining about the aluminum bodied Ford pickup, yet have no problem flying at nearly 10 times the normal interstate speed at 7 miles up in an aluminum tube with wings not much thicker than foil.

Glad to see ford taking the first step. Gotta save weight somehow and lawyers will not allow manufacturers to remove even one airbag to save weight.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    A significant number of cars already have aluminum body parts. The newer generations Mustangs have an alum hood and so does the Miata. They are able to put a steel frame under these flatter parts and get the stiffness needed.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Saw a piece about it earlier. I don't care that they're using aluminum but the truck is kind of ugly. Some renderings I've seen from custom companies have only made it look worse.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    Land-Rovers have been aluminum for years. It is stiffer and lighter than steel. I want to know how much the cost will go up! At least they can use recycled coke cans, so maybe this will encourage recycling. It is supposed to get better mpg thanks to the lighter weight.

I do think they look a little more ugly than the current model though. The silver/white are the least ugly that I saw.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Land-Rovers have been aluminum for years. It is stiffer and lighter than steel. I want to know how much the cost will go up! At least they can use recycled coke cans, so maybe this will encourage recycling. It is supposed to get better mpg thanks to the lighter weight.

I do think they look a little more ugly than the current model though. The silver/white are the least ugly that I saw.

Not sure if it was a lead designer or a marketing guy but they said that with the amount of aluminum they're buying, the price shouldn't really be too different than the steel F150s...so still much more than I'd want to spend on a brand new vehicle.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Every year I see ads proclaiming all of the additional HP they are wringing out of the new engines. My thought instead of increasing HP, how about keeping the HP the same, reducing engine size and increasing MPG. I don't need to be able to haul a freight train. I just want to pull my boat or a reasonable weight camp trailer.
    Whatever happened to manual lock-in hubs on 4WD trucks? Would that not save gas to not have all four wheels being driven all the time? I didn't mind getting out and locking them in if I needed to.
    I have wondered for years why they didn't put two-speed rear ends in domestic vehicles like they have in commerical trucks, then I just heard from a Dodge rep this fall that they are now starting to do that!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Can't wait to see the corrosion on these puppies... Almost all manufacturers have used aluminum panels, mainly on hoods and trunk lids or hatches. They all corrode cannot stop it on aluminum. I've seen it a lot on Cadillac hoods, ford hatches on the exploder and expedition. Bad deal for my business as aluminum does not take well to being repaired. If only the manufacturers would rust proof the inside of the panels as well as the outside the steel would not rust...
    Oh well. I'm glad somebody is doing something different for a change. I still would not buy anything newer as it's not built to last, just throw away cars now. Technology is outdated the day it leaves the factory and the repair costs on the electronics are not pretty. I wish they still made simple cars. Good thing there are plenty of classics out there.

Rant over, Jon

jimmythang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Will it turn purple to let you know it is cold? Widemouth doors?

Ever seen a hail repair bill on a land rover? Ouch. Dont hit any large bugs out in the country.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Every year I see ads proclaiming all of the additional HP they are wringing out of the new engines. My thought instead of increasing HP, how about keeping the HP the same, reducing engine size and increasing MPG. I don't need to be able to haul a freight train. I just want to pull my boat or a reasonable weight camp trailer...

My Silverado has 315hp which is plenty for a 1/2 ton. I haul a horse trailer once a week all summer long- no problem.

I agree. I don't need (or want) more than 315hp. What I could use is more than 16 city, 20 highway.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    I will be in my 13 F150 for a few years yet gettin it paid for. I think the new one keeps a few keys from the older styles and still looks the part. If you can drop 700 LBS with no loss in functionality dude thats a winner! I will be interested to see if the body panels are truly as durable as Ford claims they are. If so they will be fine. I will also be interested to see how the aluminum is treated for corrosion. Prolonged exposure to salts can cause aluminum to deteriorate but I am pretty sure that happens to steel to :). Finally I will be interested to see how paint sticks and how the side panels handle impacts and fuel spills and all that. I expect it has already been thought through but time will tell.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Can't wait to see the corrosion on these puppies... Almost all manufacturers have used aluminum panels, mainly on hoods and trunk lids or hatches. They all corrode cannot stop it on aluminum. I've seen it a lot on Cadillac hoods, ford hatches on the exploder and expedition. Bad deal for my business as aluminum does not take well to being repaired. If only the manufacturers would rust proof the inside of the panels as well as the outside the steel would not rust...
    Oh well. I'm glad somebody is doing something different for a change. I still would not buy anything newer as it's not built to last, just throw away cars now. Technology is outdated the day it leaves the factory and the repair costs on the electronics are not pretty. I wish they still made simple cars. Good thing there are plenty of classics out there.

Rant over, Jon
    THIS^^^. Ford isn't the first company to put aluminum parts on a vehicle. I've worked on several with aluminum parts.

Top Bottom