• ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I have a dpms oracle I bought not to long ago...fy first AR:rockwoot:
    I had the shop I bought it from boresight it for me, which was a burris ar scope mount...
    hTJdKxhX0V2TWP_Fvpbef_n8gKpna1pxvZUs9gMuWKblUyXTO7GpsUYvqjRpWjXqrAPFzQ31AauQ-rI8r_SCYo8nSbdUkOePl_xFrE74HKNe7_HuYOzU9iP2Q6nhXqJQmEyqRpG01NOjNG6SPVkiKAGLgb99ktNM4fUGcLLcj56IoS8LTaHVXluielkghof94E5MwQxl4C6Yxs8J
    and I bought a Redfield Revolution scope for it to, which wasn't cheap for me...
    So the first time i shoot it, it is no where near on target, we are talking really high. So I decide to bore sight it myself and it is way left on both of my bore sighters, we are talking probably 8 or more inches off.

Then I buy a set of iron sights (a pair of utg A2 sights) for it and it is shooting really high also (probably 2 feet high at 25 yards) I have done all the adjustments that i know how to do.
    Maybe the general pool of great people here can find the problem, I love this gun for its purpose but I have not been able to enjoy it yet...
    what ye say???

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    You said it was "way high" ....what does that mean? At what distance were you shooting? A little more info will go a long way.

was shooting at 25 yards, just trying to get it on point anyway I can, tried it at 50 yards when i first got it, and could not tell where the bullets were going, at 25 yards I could at least tell that the bullets were hitting high about 2 feet. the windage is dead on...

It should not be that way off at just 25 yards...I wouldn't think:xmad:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    was shooting at 25 yards, just trying to get it on point anyway I can, tried it at 50 yards when i first got it, and could not tell where the bullets were going, at 25 yards I could at least tell that the bullets were hitting high about 2 feet. the windage is dead on...

It should not be that way off at just 25 yards...I wouldn't think:xmad:

That should be impossible. If you think about it, 2 feet high at 25 yards you would be roughly 1 foot high at 12.5 yards. You should be able to sight down the barrel without any sights and get better results.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    that's exactly what happened, I took off the iron sights and just shot from the barrel and was hitting the paper, at 25 yards but I still had to aim about 6 inches low, I don't know what else it would be because everything is original from the factory...

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Just to satisfy my own curiosity what position are you shooting from? Off hand, kneeling, prone (sitting at a table)? Does your rear site have an elevation? Some of the comments from earlier are correct, there is a big issue with 2ft high @ 25yds. I'm not bustin your chops, but I have to imagine that some part of it is the shooter, especially if it was sighted just prior to your shooting it...That or your sight adjustments are just really off!

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I was sitting at a bench with a nice shooting rest, it probably is me but all the other guns I have, including an ak and a sks have sighted in perfectly...

No I have not tried another scope on there yet, I wanted to keep this one straight iron sights.
    What other problems can there be???
    the only problem I have is the only range with a 25 yard range is winimac, and I can only get there like once a month...
    unless someone with land would want to help me out and figure this out with me in Northwest Indiana.lol

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    how are you making your elevation adjustments? is your gas block the same height as your reciever? ( same plane irons? its a flat top im assuming) a little more information on your set up might get you closer to baseline for your zero

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I just bought the same rifle, bore sighted it myself with the scope attached and the upper sitting on a table outside and was on paper at 30 yards (within 4 inches of bullseye). The gas block IS a little shorter than for a handguard sight but I think that the sight he showed IS for a railed gas block unless the have two models that look alike.

Ok, I re-read your first post. Question: do you still have the scope mounted or did you give up and yank it in favor of the irons? Did the scope have the same elevation problems? You only mentioned the sights having elevation issues and the scope having windage issues.

QB 45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Lafayette
    If you're near Lafayette, you could bring it in to Applied Ballistics and I'll have a look at it for you, I work with customers' ARs all the time

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I just bought the same rifle, bore sighted it myself with the scope attached and the upper sitting on a table outside and was on paper at 30 yards (within 4 inches of bullseye). The gas block IS a little shorter than for a handguard sight but I think that the sight he showed IS for a railed gas block unless the have two models that look alike.

Ok, I re-read your first post. Question: do you still have the scope mounted or did you give up and yank it in favor of the irons? Did the scope have the same elevation problems? You only mentioned the sights having elevation issues and the scope having windage issues.

When I bought the rifle new, I had the scope on there. After a few trips to the range I could not get it anywhere near the paper i was shooting at so I decided that this AR would have strictly iron sights on it...the only way I can tell if my scope is off is when I bore sighted it with a leopuld sighter is was way off, (I have done a lot of scopes with this and have never been so far off) so really that is what I am going off of. I put the scope on another gun and it is smooth sailing...

So after this I decided to keep this AR for close range home defense. Now when I shoot it with the iron sights I have it shoots high like in previous posts, the windage is dead on...someone asked about the gas block being the same size, it looks to be lined up with the rest of the receiver, so I don't know what else to look for???

I am going to go shoot it this weekend and see what else I can find out, maybe it's just me being a retard and I got my directions wrong, we will see and I will keep everyone posted.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ok, I would say you need to take LOTS of pictures. Pictures of everything. Pictures of the rifle, of the target, of you holding the rifle, etc. Also, if it were me I would put a known good scope back on there and get the scope to shoot where it should.

BTW, your gas block SHOULD NOT be level with the receiver if the rifle you posted is indeed the rifle you have, it is slightly shorter and they make different sights to fit them accordingly.

Top Bottom