• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget96

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Avoca
    Wanted some info on breaking in a new AR15. Shoot clean, shoot clean, etc.
    I know opinions are coming, but sure would like to know! :popcorn:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Go shoot the thing. IMO the break in procedures are a bunch of hype. On super accurate premium match barrels, they are usually hand lapped anyway. I used to go with the long drawn out affairs of barrel break in back in my high power days. I soon found out it doesn't make one bit of difference. A accurate barrel will be accurate. One that is not might be able to be saved by smoothing out machining marks ect. But that is a whole different story.

Go shoot the heck out of it. When you get done clean the thing and be done with it. 99% of shooters will never see any difference no matter what you do with it.

Here you go- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LvPjreNjg[/ame]

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Just like the vid, and the others say....go shoot it, have fun with it, take it home and clean it. I will add this, AR's are "wet" guns, meaning keep that bolt carrier group lubed, not dripping wet, just wet enough that a finger print will show up on it. :twocents:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If new, give it a quick cleaning and lube and go shoot away !

This is what I have done each time I've gotten a new one and have never had any regrets.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Go shoot the thing. IMO the break in procedures are a bunch of hype. On super accurate premium match barrels, they are usually hand lapped anyway. I used to go with the long drawn out affairs of barrel break in back in my high power days. I soon found out it doesn't make one bit of difference. A accurate barrel will be accurate. One that is not might be able to be saved by smoothing out machining marks ect. But that is a whole different story.

Go shoot the heck out of it. When you get done clean the thing and be done with it. 99% of shooters will never see any difference no matter what you do with it.

^^^This is what Ive done with all mine and havent had any trouble with any of them^^^

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Thats a matter of preference for alot of people. I've read where some prefer to shoot and clean each shot till they get to 5 rds, some clean then shoot, clean it when you get home.
    I don't think it matters unless you're firelapping.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I took mine out of the box, cleaned it, lubed it, took it to the range and put 100 rounds through it. Cleaned and lubed when I got home. Has ran 100% every range trip.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have heard the BCG and upper fit will smooth out after a fair number of rounds downrange and the rifle will cycle smoother. Is that what you are talking about?

Top Bottom