• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    My folks have an old (like 2004 vintage) Polaris Ranger side by side. They indeed have a farm - and use that thing almost every day for farm duties. BUT - it's also used for quick jaunts between their farm property and their home (via county roads) and to their other business (also via a county road).

I understand that while the thing is on their own property it's going to be an exempt farm vehicle - but can that classification change once the vehicle leaves or is between non-farm properties?

I'm afraid that this on-road use is going to catch them "out", so to speak, if/when a county mounty decides to press the issue when he sees my kids riding with mammaw to go get a snack from their other business. This vehicle has seat belts that are ALWAYS used with the kids + a full roll cage.

I'll dig up the code (we just had this discussion ~1 month ago in General), but AFAIK, it is with the actual usage of the vehicle. As we all know, the way your intent and usage is interpreted is dependent on your ability to explain your it and possibly provide evidence to support it.

If your family is joy-riding, or just taking the kids for a ride then it would be an ORV. If the intent is to work on the farm, check farm crops/animals, maintain trails/paths/roads on the farm etc, and the kids are just accompanying them while doing that then I don't see a problem with them returning to the house (even if it's on a county road*) for bathroom/snack/beverage breaks.

* Usage of ORVs on county roads is banned in some counties, look at a map to see if it's permitted in your county. Usage of farm equipment (Polaris Ranger used for farm use) is not banned, but you may get a county mounty that doesn't understand the nuances of the law and thinks it's an ORV.

GAH, don't know what happened to my response... ugh, I edited to better answer and the edit was lost. All ATV's post 2003 are required to be registered, even if they're off-road, it's a theft-prevention thing. There are a few exceptions but not many, and not even ag use is listed. However, I believe it's a gray area as to whether a vehicle initially intended to be an ATV/ORV, but is being used as a farm vehicle, is required to register. My dad (can't get anymore "farm use" than his Ranger is, registered his just to be safe. IIRC it's $30 for 3 years. Even if you register as an ORV, and the vehicle is being used as a farm vehicle, I believe you would be exempt from other ORV laws such as county road bans & helmet requirements etc.

Here is the previous discussion: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...acres-mule-educate-me-mule-i-am-clueless.html

Last edited:
    Top Bottom