• ...and so much more!
  • JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Thanks @tackdriver

I'm returning now to my annual October Halloween Horror Movie Binge. I have an extremely large movie library, about 15% of which is horror genre from 1920 silent to contemporary 2022, including a smattering of foreign stuff. This year is focusing on 1950's to mid 1960's B-movies -- the stuff of late night Drive-In and Saturday matinee double features.

I'll be monitoring the cases though, but it seems to be in a lull right now.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks @tackdriver

I'm returning now to my annual October Halloween Horror Movie Binge. I have an extremely large movie library, about 15% of which is horror genre from 1920 silent to contemporary 2022, including a smattering of foreign stuff. This year is focusing on 1950's to mid 1960's B-movies -- the stuff of late night Drive-In and Saturday matinee double features.

Tomorrow nights Svengoolie offering may interest you.
    It's a double feature with Killer Klowns from Outer Space, and The Crawling Eye.
    Both cheesy as hell, and perfect B movies.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Thanks @tackdriver

Oddly, my dad is a big fan of the bug movies including that one from Mexico, The Black Scorpion IIRC. Great moviie, the claymation is amazing and I think same guy who did King Kong.

Can you imagine the effort that it took to do the special effects like that?

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Oddly, my dad is a big fan of the bug movies including that one from Mexico, The Black Scorpion IIRC. Great movie, the claymation is amazing and I think same guy who did King Kong.

Can you imagine the effort that it took to do the special effects like that?
    Interesting you should mention that one. I'm watching it today (on Blu-ray) . . . about 15 minutes into it. A giant scorpion crawls out of a volcano and heads off toward Mexico City leaving death and destruction in its wake. Stop motion animation was used quite a bit . . . and that's how they did the effects in The Black Scorpion, along with masking techniques.

If you study the technical aspects of how movies get made, you can spot what they used. The master of the stop-motion effects became Ray Harryhausen and his Dynamation method. Too much to dive into here. I'm posting my binge in the Break Room with brief remarks on each one.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It's the Des Moines Register pandering to their WOKE Left audience and subscribers. Wouldn't expect anything less from them.
    It’s gannett pandering to their WOKE owners and editorial staff. Never expect anything less from them.

And FYI gannett never endorsed a presidential candidate until they endorsed Killery Klinton!

The funny story about Gannett was when president trump came to Evansville the secret service told the box owners that only employees and spouses could sit in the suites, there were 8-10 of us (could have easily seated 20) all of us were production or sales!…not one editorial staff member was there even to report on the event!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Interesting you should mention that one. I'm watching it today (on Blu-ray) . . . about 15 minutes into it. A giant scorpion crawls out of a volcano and heads off toward Mexico City leaving death and destruction in its wake. Stop motion animation was used quite a bit . . . and that's how they did the effects in The Black Scorpion, along with masking techniques.

If you study the technical aspects of how movies get made, you can spot what they used. The master of the stop-motion effects became Ray Harryhausen and his Dynamation method. Too much to dive into here. I'm posting my binge in the Break Room with brief remarks on each one.

me: mom can I go see Golden Voyage of Sinbad again at the matinee???

mom: you boys just saw that last Saturday...why do you want to go again???

me: the special effects

the special effects:

1698110447666.png

1698110640144.png

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    wait. How did we get to this in the pistol brace thread. Ohh I think someone has been into the Falls City again..

Anyway if the government is dead set on getting rid of pistol braces... let them repeal the Short Barreled Rifle part of the NFA.
    I guarantee that 99% of pistol braces would hit the trash bin within minutes of repeal.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    wait. How did we get to this in the pistol brace thread. Ohh I think someone has been into the Falls City again..

Anyway if the government is dead set on getting rid of pistol braces... let them repeal the Short Barreled Rifle part of the NFA.
    I guarantee that 99% of pistol braces would hit the trash bin within minutes of repeal.
    Haven't been into Fall City Firearms for a while. Hope Rick is doing well.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    BREAKING NEWS (27 October 2023):
    U.S. District Court for Southern District of Texas (Victoria Division) Issues Preliminary Injunction . . .

State of Texas, GOA, GOF, and Brady Brown v. BATFE
    Memorandum Opinion and Order issued by Judge Drew B. Tipton is here (29 page PDF):
    https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txsd.1905516/gov.uscourts.txsd.1905516.80.0.pdf

For the TLDR, Skip to the Chase Scene Crowd:

IV. CONCLUSION
    For the foregoing reasons, the Court GRANTS IN PART Plaintiffs’ Motion for Preliminary Injunction. (Dkt. No. 16). Therefore, it is ORDERED that:

1. Defendants and all their respective officers, agents, servants, employees, attorneys, and other persons who are in active concert or participation with them are hereby ENJOINED and RESTRAINED from enforcing and implementing the Final Rule against Plaintiffs Brady Brown and his resident family members, as well as GOA’s current members and their resident family members.

2. This preliminary injunction shall remain in effect pending a final resolution of the merits of this case or until a further Order from this Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, or the United States Supreme Court.

No security bond is required under Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 65(c).

It is SO ORDERED.
    Signed on October 27, 2023
    /s Drew B. Tipton
    I've not read all 29 pages yet, but at the least, there's no mention of Texas and its citizens in general, or its employees and agents. Obviously this is limited to Gun Owners of America members (nationally) and the individual plaintiff, Brady Brown. All members of GOA are now covered by this preliminary injunction.

Add this to the October 2nd injunction from Judge Reed O'Connor covering FPC members nationally (Mock v. Garland), and to the October 4th injunction, also from O'Connor, covering Texas Gun Rights, Inc. and NAGR. Members of three major organizations are now covered by injunctions -- plus a Texas state organization's members.

I'm going back to my Halloween Horror Film Binge -- and finishing up putting batteries in my quartz watches that ran out of electrons -- a task that always reminds me of why I prefer mechanical timepieces versus electronic ones. This time it includes the oldest quartz watch I have. Still working after 47 years, it's a Texas Instruments 401 digital LED. Push button once for time. Push twice rapidly for date. Unfortunately, there's no Leap Year setting. Before LCD digitals, there were LED digitals. Initially those were expensive . . . until TI came along and radically forced the prices down with their pricing. Even so, I believe I spent about $30 on this one . . . in 1977 . . . which would be about $150 today. The LED watches were battery eaters compared to the LCD, especially if you pushed the button frequently to display the time. Discovered that in the first two weeks I owned it.
    TI 401 1024.jpg TI 401 Illuminated 1024.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    BREAKING NEWS (27 October 2023):
    U.S. District Court for Southern District of Texas (Victoria Division) Issues Preliminary Injunction . . .

State of Texas, GOA, GOF, and Brady Brown v. BATFE
    Memorandum Opinion and Order issued by Judge Drew B. Tipton is here (29 page PDF):
    https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.txsd.1905516/gov.uscourts.txsd.1905516.80.0.pdf

For the TLDR, Skip to the Chase Scene Crowd:

I've not read all 29 pages yet, but at the least, there's no mention of Texas and its citizens in general, or its employees and agents. Obviously this is limited to Gun Owners of America members (nationally) and the individual plaintiff, Brady Brown. All members of GOA are now covered by this preliminary injunction.

Add this to the October 2nd injunction from Judge Reed O'Connor covering FPC members nationally (Mock v. Garland), and to the October 4th injunction, also from O'Connor, covering Texas Gun Rights, Inc. and NAGR. Members of three major organizations are now covered by injunctions -- plus a Texas state organization's members.

I'm going back to my Halloween Horror Film Binge -- and finishing up putting batteries in my quartz watches that ran out of electrons -- a task that always reminds me of why I prefer mechanical timepieces versus electronic ones. This time it includes the oldest quartz watch I have. Still working after 47 years, it's a Texas Instruments 401 digital LED. Push button once for time. Push twice rapidly for date. Unfortunately, there's no Leap Year setting. Before LCD digitals, there were LED digitals. Initially those were expensive . . . until TI came along and radically forced the prices down with their pricing. Even so, I believe I spent about $30 on this one . . . in 1977 . . . which would be about $150 today. The LED watches were battery eaters compared to the LCD, especially if you pushed the button frequently to display the time. Discovered that in the first two weeks I owned it.
    View attachment 308452 View attachment 308453
    I think many gun rights groups that have a preliminary injunction will grow over the next few weeks in memberships.

JAL thanks for the update.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    A few weeks ago I had the chance to shoot a CMMG Banshee in 9mm! Never thought I'd want a braced 9mm but wow I was wrong, it was just flat out fun to shoot. Bad on my part but I haven't really kept up one the brace issue going on so it's very disappointing see what's currently going so I guess my plans to purchase will be delayed until this gets sorted out. For now I'll be joining the GOA though.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Copy of the decision.

TL;DR - 5th circuit stays the rule in it’s entirety and places a nationwide injunction on the ATF and the new pistol brace rule, not allowing any enforcement across the board. FPC and GOA members are not the only one’s covered anymore.
    Well this is a good step. I could see this as a step on the way to invalidating the entire SBR portion of the NFA?

I mean I guess if the government realizes the cat is well and truly out of the bag here.

Top Bottom