• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    I have been looking for a different pistol to but with my BOB. I currently have a Ruger lc9 but my SO would like to start to us that for her CW. I dont want to leave the BOB empty and, dont want her not to have a CW any longer. So i have been looking for a very cheap pistol until funds open up in 6 months plus. I fumble across the high point 9mm sometime ago and thought it was a cheap POS for the price. After giving it some though and looking more into it i have found that there are 2 types of thoughts on this gun.
    Group A says "POS, stay the hell away and save up for a GLOCK, S&W, XD, etc."
    Group B says "Great gun for the price. Goes BANG every time you pull the trigger."
    Quick search on INGO shows kind of the same thing. But i want to get some thoughts on it from a prepping stand point. I would like to maybe get 3 based on the price. 1 for both cars and 1 to replace in the BOB. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    I've thought of doing the same thing as a good cheap handgun to put in my families BOB's. I would probably stick 9mm's in the women's BOB's and .45's in my Dad's and my bags. I've heard mixed feelings about these as well and also heard some of them are a 50/50 chance. If that's all you can afford though until a later date, that's what you've got to do. Just my :twocents:.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Go buy one, and shoot it to make sure it operates. From what I hear, they're ugly, heavy, blocky, but damn it when you aim at something and pull that trigger, it's gonna put a hole in whatever you're aiming at.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    In my opinion you can't go wrong with a glock. I do not keep a handgun in my bug out because I CC two on me everyday. My primary is a glock 19 and the secondary is a Keltec 380. I do keep extra mags loaded and in BOB though.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Walther P22 with 3 mags with some hot rounds(only thing it likes)
    Just as a extra back up or to handout to a family member or friend if needed

:twocents:

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Thanks for the input!!! I think im going to take a gamble and grab one and try it out.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Consider a .38 or .357 revolver. 2" barrel. Totally reliable. Plenty of punch for SD in a tight situation. Couple of "wallet packs" will get you 36 rds of easy to carry ammo. South of $300 will get you a number of good choices.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    My brother has one. Ugly and bulky for single stack, but very accurate and honestly reliable. I have yet to see a malfunction from it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am a fan of the CZ-82/83 as an inexpensive sidearm. Either 9x18mm mak or .380. I recently ordered a surplus CZ-83 in .380 from Buds for less than $250.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Have you considered a used glock? Gen 2 g19 maybe? Yes, the Hi Point may be cheap, but it will always be cheap. A glock may cost more, but it will always be worth more, too.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Ideally I would say No to hi points, well because they are hi points. But a pos is better than an empty hand in a time of need. So the answer is simple on that point, but with that said.
    if you havent bought the hi point yet. I think I would take the guy from Four Guns up on his offer if your in his area.
    Now I am interested in Glock gen 1 for under 150.00 ..lol

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Thanks for the input!!! I think im going to take a gamble and grab one and try it out.

My :twocents:

CLEAN THEN OIL it BEFORE your first range trip. Put about 300 rounds through it your first time out. If it performs to your standards, clean and oil it again and throw it in your bag.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    How about a Kel-Tec PF9 or P11? Both 9mm With a New price of $259 (usually) but only 1 mag. Light, Compact, reliable, CC, OC, BOB.

Top Bottom