• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should students who have met the requirements from the state be able to carry?

• Total voters

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    Ladies and Gents, A Senate Bill was introduced to Committee (SB-097) that would bar Colleges and Universities from restricting the rights of law abiding citizens who already have met the State Requirements for Carry. This effectively would lift bans on any student who lawfully could.

It's time to write your Senators and tell them you support it! National Gun Rights aren't the only battle we are facing today. Our student's deserve to be able to protect themselves too.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130107/NEWS05/130107040/

What does INGO think???

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    First vote :D, YES! Public colleges and universities should already fall under the state preemption law.

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    absolutely! less chance of something similar to columbine happening again if there is a chance of walking into a room full of armed students all hopped up on mountain dew and snickers

PLM2001

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ashley, DeKalb County
    I know I would feel much better when my daughter goes away to college that she would be able to legally carry. If I can't be there to protect her then she needs to be able to protect herself if the situation arises.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    I agree. I am the President at Indiana State University for Students for Concealed Carry. I feel it's my duty to let you guys know!

I'm also a survivor of violent crime and I can tell you my gun saved my life. It happened on a campus too! (Not IN, my previous city I lived in, Memphis TN.)

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    This would be amazing if it would actually happen. Though I do not go to a state school, I feel this could change the mind of the people that make policies at my school.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I don't see it happening, but I definitely support it. That'd be great! I don't understand why some people try to treat campuses as so much different than the rest of the state. People that normally carry, will carry; people that don't, won't. A campus is not some magic land where law abiding citizens that normally carry everywhere else in the state become madmen. So stupid!

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    It's important to note that the Campus Police argued that mixing drugs and guns on campus was bad when it came to addressing parties. These parties already occur off campus where the policy doesn't apply and Campus Police has no jurisdiction. That being said I know for a fact that many house parties with vast amounts of alcohol have been had in homes that have a plethora of guns in them, and yet we have seen no shootings or violence, student to student, or student to police at all as a result.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    Ball state is what, the 18th most violent campus in the nation?

As a student (not BSU) you can bet your sweet spot i have been in contact with my reps. already concerning this.

sarlakk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I voted yes, and I have already written to my senators and congressman on this. As an IUPUI student who has to catch the late night bus downtown, while I personally don't feel totally unsafe, I can definitely empathize with any student in a similar situation that does, and can only hope that the ability to carry for protection is opened up for the campus.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is important to not this is NOT a Campus Carry bill.

This is a "The State cannot have rules different than State Law" bill. The same as the previous State Preemption legislation, but now for the State government (rather than just local governments).

The fact that it includes State Colleges and Universities is a Good Thing, but only a small part of the bill.

I'm afraid that the moniker "Campus Carry" will get it killed before it even reaches the floor for a vote.

dangar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    New Castle, IN
    I support this legislation. I work at a state university and would like to exercise my right to carry without the threat of any disciplinary action.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    Here's something to consider. According to my research, (IANAL) I am not a student, I CAN carry on IUPUI campus. My kids, who are students, CANNOT carry on IUPUI campus. It's not a state law that prevents carry, it's the student conduct policy.

Isn't that crazy!?
    Paying customers (students) - no carry
    General public with LTCH - carry
    Felons and rapists - do whatever they want anyway

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Absolutely i know i would have felt much safer if i had been allowed to carry on campus. I hope this becomes law even though i have just recently graduated and will not be directly affected by it. I still however hope it passes.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is important to not this is NOT a Campus Carry bill.

This is a "The State cannot have rules different than State Law" bill. The same as the previous State Preemption legislation, but now for the State government (rather than just local governments).

The fact that it includes State Colleges and Universities is a Good Thing, but only a small part of the bill.

I'm afraid that the moniker "Campus Carry" will get it killed before it even reaches the floor for a vote.

Excellent points.

Top Bottom