• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    This goes back to "know the law." Most states have a ZERO tolerance policy when it comes to guns and schools. Follow the law or pay the price. Screw up and you WILL be convicted of a felony AND lose your ability to legally carry your weapon. Sad, but true. :(

I think this one belongs in the "Too stupid to survive category." He strikes me as the kind that would go poke a Tiger with a stick because someone told him not to.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I may be mistaken, but was there a change in indiana laws recently, something about changing the severity of carrying at a school with a license. Seems I heard something like changing it from a felony to a misdemeanor or something.

I may be smoking crack.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I may be mistaken, but was there a change in indiana laws recently, something about changing the severity of carrying at a school with a license. Seems I heard something like changing it from a felony to a misdemeanor or something.

I may be smoking crack.

Negative as of the 2011 Laws. There was talk on INGO to try and get it changed in the next legilsative session but it's still in "talk mode" school property is still OFF LIMITS

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Gbuck, i know that is the current law, but has anyone had to actually reference it to avoid trouble? I pick my son up regularly after school, but I am usually sweating bullets (pardon the pun) until I am off the school property, as I do not want to be the test dummy for this law.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    Negative as of the 2011 Laws. There was talk on INGO to try and get it changed in the next legilsative session but it's still in "talk mode" school property is still OFF LIMITS

Unless you are dropping off or picking up and you must stay in your vehicle.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The only provision for carry on school property is if you *have LTCH *are the driver of the vehicle *are there to drop off or pick up a person *do not exit the vehicle, either with or without the firearm. I don't know what's supposed to happen if your vehicle malfunctions while you are there and you are not able to leave under its power. Maybe you're expected to starve to death and become a monument to bureaucratic stupidity. Maybe you could get the tow truck to hook you up with you in the car. I probably wouldn't call the police, that'd just be asking for trouble.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The only provision for carry on school property is if you *have LTCH *are the driver of the vehicle *are there to drop off or pick up a person *do not exit the vehicle, either with or without the firearm.
    Actually, the requirement is that you must be "operating" the vehicle to pick up or drop off someone. To me - that means never shutting it off (simply remaining in the vehicle might not be sufficient).

In fact, it might be a good idea to have junior bail out in the parking lot as you're cruising through at 15 mph or so.

Guy

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In fact, it might be a good idea to have junior bail out in the parking lot as you're cruising through at 15 mph or so.

LOL.:laugh:

Heaven forbid that junior wants you to walk him to the door after a bad day at school or you have to carry the science project.

Great, must you bring attention to the fact that this statute and its exception creates a Knight's Fork for the prosecution.:D Carrying on school grounds OR child endangerment.

All the more reason to have the exemption include anyone with a LTCH for guns and knives.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I believe it was SB180 this year that was attempting to change it from felony to misdemeanor. Never got a hearing in the committee, probably due to the right to work union BS going on and the demotards walking out every day. Actually I believe there's quite a few states that allow you (leaving the firearm in your vehicle) to actually get out and walk your child to or from the school while parked on school property. GA and maybe MO if I recall, started looking and saw a few others.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Actually, the requirement is that you must be "operating" the vehicle to pick up or drop off someone. To me - that means never shutting it off (simply remaining in the vehicle might not be sufficient).

Guy
    I know a guy who was busted for a DUI for sleeping it off in his car, parked in a lot...the cop tapped on his window to wake him up. The keys were left in the ignition and this is what they considered "operating".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    That's a DUI, though, but the same applies; I always understood that if the driver is in the driver's seat, even if the engine is off it's not considered "parked", even in a no parking zone. You're there to move it out of the way should that be required. As to "operating" the vehicle, the operation you are performing is sitting there waiting for someone. Just like going straight doesn't require the turn signal to be engaged, sitting and waiting doesn't require the engine to run. Maybe I'm mistaken, but at least I've never had that understanding challenged IRL.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I know a guy who was busted for a DUI for sleeping it off in his car, parked in a lot...the cop tapped on his window to wake him up. The keys were left in the ignition and this is what they considered "operating".

That happens all the time. But I would never depend on the DUI cases in this context. If you disagree - that's certainly your prerogative.

Guy

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    (snip) Actually I believe there's quite a few states that allow you (leaving the firearm in your vehicle) to actually get out and walk your child to or from the school while parked on school property. GA and maybe MO if I recall, started looking and saw a few others.

Found it - http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C500-599/5710000107.HTM

Short version is that most places where you are prohibited from carrying, you are allowed to have it in the vehicle as long as you don't brandish it.

If carry is going to be forbidden, this seems the most prudent way to handle it. It would be a big improvement to IN law to move at least to this.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008

Guy

Then how do they convict people for OWI, when they are merely in the vehicle sleeping it off in some parking lot?

Just one of those inconsistencies I've always wondered about.

"The law is what I say it is," I guess.

Top Bottom