• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moose75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Nashville
    I currently am shopping for a new everyday carry. I narrowed down the search to 2.
    1. Xds 45 4.0
    2. M&P Shield 40
    After reading some of the forums on smith and wesson's site I had questions about the reliability of the shield. But after reading the responses from my other post obviously there is a very strong following of the shield. The shield fits my hand the best.
    I also liked the feel of the Xds too and liked that it came in 45.
    All the reviews I have read put these too too close to pick an obvious winner. Just curious who out there has these and what's your opinion on using it everyday for a CCW weapon?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Don't own either, but I'd still recommend trying to shoot both before deciding. Hand feel is useful, but actually test firing is the best way to determine which works best for you. Look for local ranges that rent guns and/or you could ask INGOers to let you try theirs. Good luck in your search. Both are quality firearms.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I don't think you would have any reliability issues with either.

The Shield is a fine little carry gun and I found it to be very accurate for it's small size. I don't own one, but I'd have no problem adding one to the carry rotation.

I've never personally shot an XDS but that's because I'm not a big fan of grip safeties. I'm sure it too would serve you well.

I second what pudly said. Find a shop that has them both in the rental counter and shoot them both until one stands out.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Don't own either, but I'd still recommend trying to shoot both before deciding. Hand feel is useful, but actually test firing is the best way to determine which works best for you. Look for local ranges that rent guns and/or you could ask INGOers to let you try theirs. Good luck in your search. Both are quality firearms.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The advise above is rock solid.
    I have never held nor fired an XD, I have, however, owned two Shields, a .40 first and then a 9mm. I can tell you first hand that each of the Shields were their own beast. The .40 was very snappy, even with standard shelf loads, the 9mm is much more managable in that size gun. Nothing wrong with the Shield .40, just wanted to point out the differences between the two calibers in the same gun. Both were 100% reliable for me.

As I stated, zero experience with the XD's, but I've heard lots of praise on them, especially the factory triggers. I don't think either would be a bad choice which boils it down to your preference and that brings us back to pudly's post, go shoot them both. Have fun with your decision making and don't be reluctant to throw another pistol into the mix, ya wont know ya don't like it 'til ya shoot it.

Good luck and let us know which one ya go with.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I currently am shopping for a new everyday carry. I narrowed down the search to 2.
    1. Xds 45 4.0
    2. M&P Shield 40
    After reading some of the forums on smith and wesson's site I had questions about the reliability of the shield. But after reading the responses from my other post obviously there is a very strong following of the shield. The shield fits my hand the best.
    I also liked the feel of the Xds too and liked that it came in 45.
    All the reviews I have read put these too too close to pick an obvious winner. Just curious who out there has these and what's your opinion on using it everyday for a CCW weapon?
    I went Glock 30s, but out of curiosity why not the m&p 45c? What calibers do you have now? I dont have anything against 40, but the thing that keeps me away from it is that I don't want to add another pistol caliber to stock ammo or reload for. So, what I am saying is, another factor may be ammunition commonality with your other firearms.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Welcome to INGO!

Both of those guns are fine, but not sure about how proficient or experienced you are with handguns.
    The Shield 40 can be a hand full. Pretty poppy with 40 cal in a small package.
    The reason I say that is because a lot of new gun owners only think about the carry/comfort/power aspects and not the 100's or 1000's of rounds you should run through it for break in and practice over the years.

If you only plan to shoot a couple boxes of ammo for practice and call it good (not recommended), keep shopping.
    If you plan to run 500 rounds through it for break in and 1000's more for training, then I hope you have strong hands and arms.

IMHO, higher caliber/low capacity compact carry guns are only for very experienced people and are proficient with any handgun available.

If you are not experienced, then I would highly recommend a full size 9mm of whatever brand you like, and train with it first.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    As others have said, go rent what you are interested in and shoot them. Don't discount the XD-S or XD subcompact 9MM.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I've had experience with both a shield 9mm and an xds 3.3 45acp. Both are reliable. The grip safety is of no concern if one knows how to hold a handgun. If you can depress a grip safety than maybe you shouldn't be carrying a handgun.

The biggest deciding factor is the difference in trigger feel. The shield has the m&p double hinged trigger that I do not care for. The xds I really like as it is a really crisp break and a helluva awesome audible and tactile reset. I can't hit well with the m&p triggers but many can.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Im curious why cc people bother with the 4" xds? I own yhe 3.3 and for cc, i love it. I default to my RAMI...but when its hot and Im in shorts and a tshirt Im quick to pick up the XDS because its lighter and flatter.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Barrel length is hardly a factor in CC. the main thing to hide is the grip.

I chose the 4.0 xds 9mm for more velocity and faster follow up shots as well as better reliability.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    I hate M&P triggers, for some reason I hate the Shield trigger the least of them all.

we have put about 12-1500 rounds through our 9mm shield, about 200 of those +p carry loads, no reliability issues.

i like the XDs trigger better, but also don't like the grip safety. Though, I think powder river makes an extended one with a 1911 style bump which looks nice.

im personally of the opinion that your default CCW weapon should be bigger, G19 sized, and the little guns are for special circumstances. It isn't hard to carry a G19 sized gun with a decent holster.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Barrel length is hardly a factor in CC. the main thing to hide is the grip.

This is the same for me too. The barrel is easy for me to conceal. However, a longer handle when I carry IWB tends to catch and print with my clothes.

In addition, a slightly longer barrel would give you better velocity (could be noticeable in a .45) and also a better sight picture.

moose75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Nashville
    Thanks for the input. I currently have a glock 22 (full size 40 cal) and a keltec pf-9 (9mm). My keltec is the one I carry most of the time. I like being able to drop it in my front pocket when I am wearing shorts. It has been a good gun but very snappy. Was looking for something with a little more knockdown but still can carry around easily. Both of these guns fit good in my hand and pocket. I looked at the glock 36 but it is not much smaller than a xds mod 2 or compact glocks which have more capacity. I have heard great things about the xd's and know alot of people that own them. Know a few people that own the shield and they love em. All the reviews I have read have these 2 really close. The shield is more comfortable, cheaper, and I own 40 cal ammo which to me are big advantages for the shield. As far as the Xd-s it has the same capacity as the shield but it is 45. I have also heard, with the 4.0 the 45 cal. does not snap your wrist as much as the 40cal. The low maintenance and reliability of my glock are 2 items that I prefer in a pistol, but from what I can tell both guns will be a giant step up from what I carry now.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The XDs and Shield are obviously great pistols. You can't go wrong with either. As others have said, stick with what fits best (and if you can shoot them, what shoots best for you).

Some other single-stack .40s that you could consider:

Kahr PM/CM 40 series - I've owned a cm9 and a few other kahrs. My dad has a P40 Kovert, which has the short stock. It can be a handfull, but it is crazy how small they are.

Walther PPS in 40 - seems to be a pretty popular choice

Bersa BP40CC - single stack, striker fired pistol. Seems to be an ok pistol for the price.

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    99% of gunowners who own large caliber pistols won't hit their target when the **** hits the fan. And you aren't going to know when that will happen. The .40 caliber round is one of the snapiest rounds out there. Let alone in a small frame semiauto. Face reality folks, shot placement is the "only" thing that matters. Do you practice shooting one handed?. Shooting one handed with your non dominant hand? Shooting while crouched?. Shooting while on the ground? Shooting while moving while your target is also moving? Shooting in the dark? Shooting after drawing your weapon in all the previous scenarios mentioned? And doing all those things one handed with each hand? Probably not. Big caliber handguns are for large four legged targets, not Human self defense. Just my 10 cents. But I am sure all of you will be offended.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    99% of gunowners who own large caliber pistols won't hit their target when the **** hits the fan. And you aren't going to know when that will happen. The .40 caliber round is one of the snapiest rounds out there. Let alone in a small frame semiauto. Face reality folks, shot placement is the "only" thing that matters. Do you practice shooting one handed?. Shooting one handed with your non dominant hand? Shooting while crouched?. Shooting while on the ground? Shooting while moving while your target is also moving? Shooting in the dark? Shooting after drawing your weapon in all the previous scenarios mentioned? And doing all those things one handed with each hand? Probably not. Big caliber handguns are for large four legged targets, not Human self defense. Just my 10 cents. But I am sure all of you will be offended.

70% of all statistics are made up on the spot by 64% of people that produce false statistics 54% of the time they produce them.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for the input. I currently have a glock 22 (full size 40 cal) and a keltec pf-9 (9mm). My keltec is the one I carry most of the time. I like being able to drop it in my front pocket when I am wearing shorts. It has been a good gun but very snappy. Was looking for something with a little more knockdown but still can carry around easily. Both of these guns fit good in my hand and pocket. I looked at the glock 36 but it is not much smaller than a xds mod 2 or compact glocks which have more capacity. I have heard great things about the xd's and know alot of people that own them. Know a few people that own the shield and they love em. All the reviews I have read have these 2 really close. The shield is more comfortable, cheaper, and I own 40 cal ammo which to me are big advantages for the shield. As far as the Xd-s it has the same capacity as the shield but it is 45. I have also heard, with the 4.0 the 45 cal. does not snap your wrist as much as the 40cal. The low maintenance and reliability of my glock are 2 items that I prefer in a pistol, but from what I can tell both guns will be a giant step up from what I carry now.

I understand what you are saying about having 40 cal ammo on hand. A few years ago I down sized to a few calibers. I mainly shoot 9, 38/357 and 22 now.

Good luck with your choices...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Since you already have a 9mm in your collection, I'd go with a 9mm for your next gun. With the high quality of SD ammo now, there is very little difference between 9 and 40 as far as terminal ballistics is concerned. FBI just switched back to 9mm from 40. Less recoil (especially in a small gun), higher capacity and cheaper to shoot/practice with.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Im curious why cc people bother with the 4" xds? I own yhe 3.3 and for cc, i love it. I default to my RAMI...but when its hot and Im in shorts and a tshirt Im quick to pick up the XDS because its lighter and flatter.

Barrel length is easy to conceal. Grip length isn't. I've considered buying a XDm compact just so I could put my 5.25 slide on a compact frame. I can conceal my 5.25 with a good IWB holster and belt and a baggy cover shirt. It prints a little but with the smaller grip, it would disappear.

I have a 4" xds. The longer sight radius and a tad more weight let's me shoot it better.

I'd carry this all day long.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    iSeekLight
    Top Bottom