• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hi everyone, I just picked up a new CCW today. I've been considering what I needed from my purchase (strictly for conceal carry), so here's a bit about that.

I needed something friendly for front pocket carry, given my work attire is a tucked in shirt and pants. 9mm would be the smallest caliber I' want to carry. Considering the size required for my carry, I'd be limited to 7-8 9mm rounds, so I started thinking about M&P Shield 9mm, Glock 43, and J-frame revolvers as well.....

I decided on .357 Magnum because:
    • I want some real stopping power, and If I ever use my gun, that threat needs to stop now not later.
    • Granted I only have 5 shots and 9mm would give me 2-3 more, but I don't plan on sticking around for a shootout unless I got kevlar, friends, and an AR-10. If I cant make 5 work, 2-3 more likely wont help either.

I picked up a used S&W 340-PD from ZX Guns on Colliseum here in Ft. Wayne. Gun, Box of Gold Dot, and DeSantis Nemesis Holster, $583 out the door (everything you see in the picture).

All this said; does anyone know anything about the 340 PD, or other "Air Lite" revolvers? Any experience with them? From what I read, it's called "The devil's handshake" for a reason....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    First off the 340PD is a fantastic little pocket gun. Great choice for the intended role. Now heed my advice and buy some Gold Dot 38 spl +P to carry in that thing. You really are not going to gain a lot out of the magnums in that short gun. I see that the Gold Dots you bought are the Short Barrel version so you might get a pass. Go ahead and shoot a few of those .357s. You will know the answer to your question.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Looks like a nice piece. Cannot help you on those j frames, but my 6" 357 is a handfull with some good ammo, can't imagine something this small! All I can say is good luck!

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    First off the 340PD is a fantastic little pocket gun. Great choice for the intended role. Now heed my advice and buy some Gold Dot 38 spl +P to carry in that thing. You really are not going to gain a lot out of the magnums in that short gun. I see that the Gold Dots you bought are the Short Barrel version so you might get a pass. Go ahead and shoot a few of those .357s. You will know the answer to your question.
    Ya I imagine I'll likely do just that after I visit the range.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    Some are more sensitive to recoil than others. Me, I love handling recoil. Especially that of a snubnose 357 magnum. What I do no recommend is carrying full house 357 loads for personal protection.

I have fired a couple dozen rounds out of a snubby without hearing protection and I will tell you that the muzzle report alone is like someone slapping you on each side of your head right on your ears. It is VERY DISORIENTING even out in the boonies where we were shooting. I would never carry such ammo in a snubby. 38+p is much kinder to the ears. I was wincing in pain. If you don't believe me try for yourself. No way I am subjecting myself, others, my family, or my son to the deafening muzzle report. I couldn't imagine the pain indoors.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You will know it every time you pull that trigger. I second the +p 38's, which are also quite snappy.

Another vote. Check out the snubbie ballistics differences between the 38+P and standard 357. Not much more ooomph delivered downrange, just a bigger fireball. And your follow up shots will be quicker and more accurate.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ain't no way I'd put .357 magnum rounds through a gun that size. .38 Special+P is absolutely the way to go.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    That is one sexy revolver. It is hard to argue with 5 rounds of .357, might only have 5 rounds but they are some potent pills for sure. Congratulation. ;)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Never liked roll checking on the trigger. How you guys do it, I just don't know, but that's me.

I forgot to respond to your question. Answer is I don't roll check my revolver. I only carry it with premium factory ammo and I check that the primers are seated properly. I also make sure the unloaded gun is working properly and there isn't any debris under the extractor. So hopefully a properly function revolver in the holster will give me 5 shots.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Never liked roll checking on the trigger. How you guys do it, I just don't know, but that's me.

Have you shot it yet?
    sorry I havent been on here in a few days. No I havent shot it yet. I'm waiting for a friend to get back from training down south, near the end of the month, then we'll head out and shoot it. I'll probably get a box of 38+p defense ammo as that seems to be the general consensus. I'm already going to get a box of 38spI for the range so I'll be able to see about the recoil for myself, as I've never shot .357 mag.

I think I'm really falling for the revolvers, I learned of the S&W R8 revolver today.... oh man. Now I wanna trade my M&P .40c for a 686 or other full size .357.

tripwire96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Fishers
    I carry a S&W M&P 340 daily and was hard charging about carrying fully house .357 at first, but that didn't last long for me. Each shot felt like hitting a steel pole with an aluminum baseball bat. I quickly switched to the 135 grain .38 +P Gold Dots and have been happy every since.

The other thing to remember with the .357 rounds other than the recoil is the huge fireball out of the short barrel. In a low light situation, it is blinding and it makes it very difficult to get back on target quickly.

Top Bottom