• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Wow- I'll make sure I never buy anything from you!

Well, the person that bought the bulldog paid $200 for a brand new gun that was fired 50 times. I paid $302 for the gun. I was up front with the buyer as to the reason on selling. What the buyer chose to do with the gun is hard to say. He may have sent it in and had it repaired free of charge by Charter. The choice was his, I wanted nothing to do with Charter ever again.

I was honest with the buyer as well as everything I've done. Can you say the same?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Although the gun should have been "right" from the factory, you should have allowed Charter Arms to attempt a repair or replacement IMHO. Of course that was your decision and it cost you a C note. In my experience, most firearms manufacturers will stand behind their products. They usually go the extra mile and give good service even when the user and not the product was at fault.

You didn't indicate in your previous posts that you had been upfront with the purchaser or even had any contact with him. When you called him a "sucker" I too was made to think that you didn't disclose any problems prior to the sale. I'm glad that you cleared that up.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You ask around when you go to buy a model or make you never had any experience with. Sometimes you just take the chance and t works out, sometimes it does not. I was looking for a short barreled revolver and came across a Taurus 415. The advice from friends was don't buy a Taurus. I bought it anyway and have been very happy with it. For me it worked out. But with the cost of guns rising I'm more careful now than I used to be.

I hope they take care of you. Looking forward to seeing you post your experience with Charter Arms service.

jbrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Gas City, IN
    I was just looking at one of these for the wife today. Very unfortunate. I would assume that the part was probably cast, not billet. Could not see something like that breaking unless it was cast

wbjenks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Noblesville
    My Charter Arms 44 Buldog has been just fine. Shoots to POA and I have had no reliability issues. Fit and finish not superior but for the price, OK. I does work!

joed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Although the gun should have been "right" from the factory, you should have allowed Charter Arms to attempt a repair or replacement IMHO. Of course that was your decision and it cost you a C note. In my experience, most firearms manufacturers will stand behind their products. They usually go the extra mile and give good service even when the user and not the product was at fault.

You didn't indicate in your previous posts that you had been upfront with the purchaser or even had any contact with him. When you called him a "sucker" I too was made to think that you didn't disclose any problems prior to the sale. I'm glad that you cleared that up.

I guess I take it personally that I was more then fair in selling the gun, especially at a loss. I even told the buyer of the bulldog that I would consider him nuts for buying the gun. He still wanted it, why I'll never know. But being honest was why it took so long to sell.

I opted not to send that gun back because there were things wrong that should not be wrong on a new gun. At one time I had 45 guns in my safe. Some had problems but none were as bad as that Charter. I never owned a gun that couldn't hit a silhouette at 10 feet, the Charter was that bad. Also, at the time there was talk of Charter going out of business. I still think I came out ahead by not sending it back even with the money I lost.

Since that episode I've seen lots of others on the internet with the same experience. Charter should not be in business, yet they keep reeling us unsuspecting fish in. It's one thing to have an occasional bad product but inexcusable to consistently have a horrible product.

The worst thing of all was on some website last month they had a video with the owner of Charter Arms showing off shooting targets. He was saying how great the bulldog is. The person doing the interview never tried to shoot the gun. And I wonder how many guns the owner of the company had to go through before he found one that could even hit a target.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Sorry that happened. But thanks for the heads-up. Keep us posted on the service you receive. I was thinking about picking one of those up, but now I think I will wait awhile. Or mabey try to get the "Off Duty" I bought for my mother back in 1982 back and get here somethin else.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Since that episode I've seen lots of others on the internet with the same experience. Charter should not be in business, yet they keep reeling us unsuspecting fish in. It's one thing to have an occasional bad product but inexcusable to consistently have a horrible product.

Could you give us some links to the some of the other owners of CA revolvers and their problems? I would be interested in seeing them.

joed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Could you give us some links to the some of the other owners of CA revolvers and their problems? I would be interested in seeing them.

I'll have to look around for some as it has been awhile since I looked. IIRC there were a lot of problems with the barrel and shroud, accuracy and lastly problems with the cylinder timing. Mine certainly had timing issues.

With the holidays upon us it may take me awhile.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom