• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Got to try a brand new cigar. Its not yet available to the public but will be coming out in the next month or two.

La Gloria Cubana makes some amazing cigars that are often expensive, the Serie R and the Serie N cigars are some of the more expensive cigars you can get from the Caribbean and they are generally worth it, but they are pretty much special occasion cigars.

They've come out with a much more affordable product line ($7 to $8.50 each depending on size/shape) and I got to sample a couple of them. WOW is a reasonable statement of description. These are medium bodied cigars, not so strong as to make your head spin and cause weakness of the knees, but plenty of flavor in a very nicely made cigar with a great draw, even burn and holds a long medium grey ash.

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

I was so impressed with the samples I think this may become one of my "go to" cigars for those days when I don't want to experiment but rather would like a great smoke while relaxing.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had a Series R this past weekend. First one in a year or so because, as you say, they are on the pricey side. I look forward to giving this one a whirl. I usually like a fuller bodied smoke. I assume they will have it in a maduro wrapper as well. The line did need some updating though. You just never hear much buzz about LCGs any more.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Huh, I have always found them to be really consistent and a really good budget smoke at around 4 or less. I am curious are they just a bit too robust, or acrid for you? What others do you enjoy? I like Rocky Patel maduros or Olivia Serie V.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Huh, I have always found them to be really consistent and a really good budget smoke at around 4 or less. I am curious are they just a bit too robust, or acrid for you? What others do you enjoy? I like Rocky Patel maduros or Olivia Serie V.

I think the Series R I bought was 12 or 13 bucks.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Padrons are too tightly packed and hard on the mouth for me. Never seen them at that kind of price, they are generally double or triple that price depending on the series.

I like the Rocky "The Edge" Maduro, good strong honest cigar at a good price. Not a fan of Olivia. Comacho SLR Maduro is a great smoke, medium to medium strong body, great flavor, very smooth.

I think the Series R I bought was 12 or 13 bucks.
    Yup, that is about right, with some costing more.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I think I paid $50 for the last box of Padron's that I bought.

From the online cigar retailers the series 3000 Padrons are running between $105 and $140 per box plus shipping. Online retailers don't pay the Indiana 24% cigar/tobacco tax so they can beat any Indiana tobacco store in price pretty easily. Its likely those would be about $140 to $160 per box at a brick and mortar store just because of the Indiana "OTP" tax.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I typically have ordered from Thompson I swear I paid about 50 for 10 of the 3000 :dunno: I must be getting old. If I do buy singles, I buy in KY on my trips to Louisville from a place on Bardstown. I haven't bought in a couple of months though because I am trying to quit cigs and think the cigars might throw me off the wagon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OK $50 for 10 cigars sounds close to reasonable. A box is typically 21 to 26 cigars.

EDIT: FWIW, when I looked up both Famous and Thompson (they are both typically pretty high priced) they do sell them in 10's for $59 and by the box for $140. Cigars International has them for $105 but are out of stock.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Ok now that I have led us on a wild goosechase, ....sorry... About this new cigar you tried, what ring sizes and lengths and where might we be able to find em when they are available. My local area is horrible for finding cigars or really over priced.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Initially 4 sizes. 7x52, 6.52, 6.5x58 and 5.75x47.

Projected MSRP (depends on state taxes) are $7.50, $7.25, $8.15 and $7.00 respectively.

They should be available at any good quality cigar store.

According to the brochure it took 8 years of trial and error to come up with this blend. I think it was worth it!

The wrapper is a Connecticut seed grown in Honduras. The cigar uses a double binder (never heard of that before) that is a mix of Nicaraguan and Mexican with a filler of Dominican ligero and Nicaraguan. The brand will have private events in August with a full roll out by late Sept.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    No I haven't tried them. They don't have them at the Tinder Box in SB. I bet they would be good. Maybe I will grab a couple on my next mail order.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    "Nub" started the trend with their 4" cigars. Now quite a few other brands have picked up on it and offer their own variation. The fat ring gauge offers complexity and richness right from the start, they are 30 minute cigars, but not budget cigars as they are often over $5 each. They offer a great smoke for when you don't have a lot of time.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    "Nub" started the trend with their 4" cigars. Now quite a few other brands have picked up on it and offer their own variation. The fat ring gauge offers complexity and richness right from the start, they are 30 minute cigars, but not budget cigars as they are often over $5 each. They offer a great smoke for when you don't have a lot of time.

I was just wondering how long they lasted, that would be a perfect length smoke for after dinner.

Top Bottom