• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    If you evaluate 20th century presidents, and you are conservative or libertarian, and yet you think Reagan and Bush were terrible, I'm asking who was good? If you say none, fine, I get that. In these types of discussions, there's a question that needs to be asked: Compared to what?

I find comparisons between real people and real situations compelling. Comparisons between real people and situations, and the idealistic views people hold in their heads, will always leave the folks who had to solve real problems in the real world wanting. Life is a lot messier than it seems in the freshman dorm over beer and pizza.

I submit that my mention of Calvin Coolidge is an appropriate response to this.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    You must've posted this while I was writing mine.

Personally, I can't give someone as a description of a good president anywhere in the modern era. The only possible elected president may have been Kennedy but we don't really know how he would have done overall. I do not agree with his idea of sending troops to Vietnam but I did like the fact that he took a hard stand against the Soviets.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I submit that my mention of Calvin Coolidge is an appropriate response to this.

Yeah, I passed over that. I'll give props to Quiet Cal and you for pointing him out.

Goldwater would have been pretty interesting, too. Interesting to imagine where we would be had the '64 election gone differently.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Personally, I can't give someone as a description of a good president anywhere in the modern era. The only possible elected president may have been Kennedy but we don't really know how he would have done overall. I do not agree with his idea of sending troops to Vietnam but I did like the fact that he took a hard stand against the Soviets.

Don't forget his large tax rate cuts.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Reagan was in for 8 years, Obama has tripled the deficit in one year, probably more if you could accurately gauge the healthcare costs to come. He did help bring the Bear down too, what was that worth, I can't say, it might only be temporary. Here's a decent article on the Reagan years and his deficit.

Rewriting the Reagan years - Above the Beltway - Column | Chief Executive, The | Find Articles at BNET

Reagan brought the bear down and loved America, which is why he is so hated by the left.

Obama has brought the bear back, this time within our own country, and hates America. Which is why he's so loved by the left.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I try to do the same. As a left leaning liberal libertarian type person I try to steer clear of Political discussions here and stick to the Guns/Ammo/Accessories/SHTF areas. But sometimes I can't stay away from watching a train wreck...

Regarding reps, I rep whomever I agree with. Sometimes they are lefties, sometimes they are right-winged. If one has a good idea I fully embrace it regardless of their other sometimes moronic posts. If it is complete BS I'll either ignore it or try to constructively give my point of view.

I don't give negative rep (tho sometimes I really want to) and I don't call people names. And I always try to listen closely and think critically. Sadly some people here and elsewhere are not like that. And so, I do might best to ignore them.

BEST POST YET (in this thread)! Repped.

It is funny how some on this forum view centrist ideas as extreme left.

I'm sure I fall into the group that the OP would classify as 'new posters posting wild left views'... especially after the 'some of those thread just turn funny'... Epic, yes... funny, probably not.

Is it time for a political spectrum test as a pre-requisite for INGO membership???

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    People place too much emphasis on the President. The President doesn't raise or lower taxes - Congress does. The President doesn't make laws - the Congress does. The President doesn't do anything without the Congress' permission. The President can request, and even set an agenda, but it is up to Congress to empower it.

Tip O'Neill, Newt Gingrich, Jim Wright. These were good to great Speakers of the House. Gephardt and Pelosi have to be among the worst.

I prefer divided government. Given the choice, I'll take a Dumbocrap President and a Republican Congress anyday. Bill Clinton was a good President once Newt was holding his leash.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    People place too much emphasis on the President. The President doesn't raise or lower taxes - Congress does. The President doesn't make laws - the Congress does. The President doesn't do anything without the Congress' permission. The President can request, and even set an agenda, but it is up to Congress to empower it.

Tip O'Neill, Newt Gingrich, Jim Wright. These were good to great Speakers of the House. Gephardt and Pelosi have to be among the worst.

I prefer divided government. Given the choice, I'll take a Dumbocrap President and a Republican Congress anyday. Bill Clinton was a good President once Newt was holding his leash.
    Don't leave out Executive Orders.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Reagen was a great President and Bush did a helluva a lot better than the current turd has done (and the Demonrat turd president before him)

I guess that makes me retarded, right SE

Anyone that says Bush was a great POTUS is a friggin retard.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Reagen was a great President and Bush did a helluva a lot better than the current turd has done (and the Demonrat turd president before him)

I guess that makes me retarded, right SE

I guess so. Considering Bush was no better than Clinton, yea, I guess you're right. :dunno:

So how's that Stimulus working out for ya? Is the Rectal Patriot Act feeling okay? Yep. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :thumbsup:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I guess so. Considering Bush was no better than Clinton, yea, I guess you're right. :dunno:

So how's that Stimulus working out for ya? Is the Rectal Patriot Act feeling okay? Yep. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :thumbsup:

He most certainly isn't the greatest president we've ever had, but I definitely think he gets more :poop: than he deserves.

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    As I've said repeatedly, my favorite is William Henry Harrison (1841), who had the good decency to drop dead shortly after taking office.

I'm not too upset with Calvin Coolidge, who seemed to do much better on economic issues than almost any other of that period, but I'm sure that if I did enough research I'd find something to be disgruntled about.

In my lifetime? Let's see... Nixon, Carter, Reagan, Bush 1, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama... Nope. The only one that I have the least bit of respect for was Reagan, and then only because he was willing to beard the [strike]lion[/strike] bear in its den ("tear down this wall!"). I love it when people drop the pretense and call it out.

What are you talking about? Carter rocked!
    But only after office. And only because he started HFH! Other than that, yeah he kinda sucked too!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    That may be true, but he's no Reagan and he's certainly no Jefferson. It's a shame sanity is dead in Washington...

Hmmmm 1986 and Reagan you should do a little research...

While I agree Reagan did a lot for this country he also signed into law one of the worst laws for the 2nd and gun owners.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Hmmmm 1986 and Reagan you should do a little research...

While I agree Reagan did a lot for this country he also signed into law one of the worst laws for the 2nd and gun owners.

Really? What bill is that? Why don't you tell us all the horribles in the bill? How was it passed? Who supported and opposed it? It's incredible the amount of nonsense people write about 1986.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    It amuses me that many on this forum believe that conservatives have exclusive claim on gun ownership and that everyone here thinks just like them. The presumption that left leaning posters must be trolls is even more amusing.

It's a big country with lots of different points of view. I've been a gun owner since before many, if not most, of you could spell g-u-n.

If I leaned any more left, I'd fall over. But, it's my country and my Constitution, too. :patriot:

Top Bottom