• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Who knows maybe after the third or fourth bankruptcy someone at Colt actually realized they might want to start listening to customers, because I don't think anyone really wanted tbe Cobra, now the King Cobra might be a totally different story all together.

g3BlKgO.jpg

RYzLk6W.jpg

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/01/357-magnum-colt-king-cobra/

I picked up a brand new Cobra in .38spl just last year, but unintentionally.
    I gave $20 for a raffle ticket, and guess what!
    No-one was more surprised than me.

It has a 2" barrel, is a 6-shot, and has a matte stainless finish.
    Rosewood grips make it a beautiful thing to look at.
    I got this back in September but haven't been able to force myself to fire it yet, let alone carry.

Now that King Cobra has my attention.
    I normally carry a revolver, but I'm not sure I could carry something that looks that good.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I also think it looks nice and I think it will sell decently and even raise the prices of the originals. I also think it would look much better with a rounded trigger guard, but I know the slightly slanted one serves a purpose, but It looks bent to me, like it was bashed over someones melon.

More likely it will de-value the originals, much like the cheaper entry level AR's have saturated the market and de-valued the high end AR's.
    The mindset will be "why would I pay X for yours when I can get a brand new one for Y", the same mindset that thinks their Smith Sport II is on par with a BCM.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Holding out for the version with actual sights to be released. Then i will consider.

When looking at the pic, my very first thought was, where is the rear sight.
    Like a lot of other firearms that have passed through my hands, I once owned a King Cobra. Bought it from Bradis in the late 80's.
    I ended up selling it to buy a GP 100 that Ruger had just come out with. At the time I was heavy into reloading and wanting to run some rounds with some "heat" and didn't think the Colt would hold up.
    I also did not have the income I have today, so I had "to sell one to buy one".

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Why can't Colt reissue the Python? To me, this is the most iconic of their snake guns. The marketing and sales team at COLT appears to be a bunch of blithering morons.

Probably trickling them out to gauge market and sell as many of the lesser snake guns and then reap the $$ when the do later release a Python.

When looking at the pic, my very first thought was, where is the rear sight.
    Like a lot of other firearms that have passed through my hands, I once owned a King Cobra. Bought it from Bradis in the late 80's.
    I ended up selling it to buy a GP 100 that Ruger had just come out with. At the time I was heavy into reloading and wanting to run some rounds with some "heat" and didn't think the Colt would hold up.
    I also did not have the income I have today, so I had "to sell one to buy one".

Same story in the late 80's for me as well. Had a Colt 6" Stainless Steel King Cobra, and traded it off and bought my brother's 6" GP100. The GP was a much better gun than the King Cobra I bought, and only wish I had the Colt so I could sell it for a bundle. I'll never own another Colt, unless someone is giving them away. Had that one bad experience with mine, and that was enough.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    More likely it will de-value the originals, much like the cheaper entry level AR's have saturated the market and de-valued the high end AR's.
    The mindset will be "why would I pay X for yours when I can get a brand new one for Y", the same mindset that thinks their Smith Sport II is on par with a BCM.

I doubt it will de-value the originals since it is not really like the King Cobra I almost bought in the late 1980s. The original KC was more similar to Smith 686 or GP100 with real sights. Even the intro of the Smith & Wesson Classic series has not resulted in older pre-lock , pre MIM Smiths to drop in value from what I have seen in online auctions.

View attachment 73656

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I doubt it will de-value the originals since it is not really like the King Cobra I almost bought in the late 1980s. The original KC was more similar to Smith 686 or GP100 with real sights. Even the intro of the Smith & Wesson Classic series has not resulted in older pre-lock , pre MIM Smiths to drop in value from what I have seen in online auctions.

View attachment 73656

You do have a valid point, the re-release Smiths' have not de-valued the pre lock revolvers.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Why can't Colt reissue the Python? To me, this is the most iconic of their snake guns. The marketing and sales team at COLT appears to be a bunch of blithering morons.

I don't think they can physically make it, the "bright" Cobra with the nice high polish stainless finish is $1300 MSRP compared to the $700MSRP of the "normal" Cobra. So just to do a proper finish on the Python Colt would be charging an additional $600! Plus I don't think the have figured out the Royal Blue yet (as that is what most want in a Python IMHO).

That and after playing with several Cobras I just don't think the Action is there for a Python they just aren't nice enough and after Colt short sightedley gutted their custom shop they lost a lot of their capabilities to even produce a Revolver as nice as a Python. So if we do ever see one expect it to be $2K+ and at that point I would rather go hunting for an old used one so I don't have to shoot my mint one :rockwoot:

IndianaGlock85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2018
    Madison
    I’ve owned a lot of guns but never a Colt usually because they are for the most part ( not including the cobra) very pricey but I had not heard all the bad experiences I’ve read about on here. I appreciate the heads up and so does my bank account.

Top Bottom