• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I like the paint job, but like some of the others have said I would be afraid to try it. You make it sound too easy. My wife and daughter can paint just about anything. If I tried to paint a person it would probably look a lot like your avatar.:dunno:

Hey hey hey now, I know I'm funny lookin' but you don't have to rub it in! :):

Seriously, it really is that easy, a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I am not artistic by any stretch of the imagination. I'd suppose if a person wanted, they could get a piece of 2x4 or even a plain old board and practice. Give it a shot, it IS that easy.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    Hey hey hey now, I know I'm funny lookin' but you don't have to rub it in! :):

Seriously, it really is that easy, a lot easier than I thought it would be, and I am not artistic by any stretch of the imagination. I'd suppose if a person wanted, they could get a piece of 2x4 or even a plain old board and practice. Give it a shot, it IS that easy.

Sorry, I didn't realize that was an actual photo. :ugh:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Is it time for another rifle painting thread?

I'd probably have to do WW1 camo.

SSE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Tippecanoe Co.
    Hey Rookie, do you have any thoughts on the Pulsar Core ? At $1650 to $1900 they seem reasonable for thermal and alot of guys seem to like Pulsar.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're talking about the Pulsar Core RXQ30V I wouldn't recommend it. The biggest problem is the native magnification at 1.6. The minimum I would recommend is 2x. Another problem that Pulsar seems to struggle with is humidity. Their picture is severely affected by humidity when compared to other thermals. I think some of this is due to the cores they use. Finally, they seem to be struggling lately with quality control. Lots of people are reporting that they've sent their thermals back two and three times. Others have reported that they finally got their money back after multiple returns and went with a different brand.

I have three recommendations from lowest to highest.

1. Bering-optics-hogster-35mm. https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...ng-optics-hogster-35mm-compact-thermal-scope/ $2,675. I own this model and I love it. In some ways, the picture is better than Trijicon. If it had more native magnification, I would seriously consider replacing my Trijicon. For now, I use it as a scanner/second thermal.
    2. OPTICS SUPER HOGSTER R https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...ptics-super-hogster-r-384-12um-2-9-11-6x35mm/ $3,195. I have one that should be arriving this week or next week. I'm really looking forward to using it, and I think the 2.9 native magnification is going to work out well.
    3. IR Hunter MK3 60mm. https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/IR-Hunter-MK-III-60mm-p/irmk3-60.htm $8,999. I use this as my primary thermal, and I love it. Like I said though, the Bering optics thermals are better in some ways. The biggest advantage is the 4.5 native magnification which allows you to really reach out. I've shot quite a few coyotes at 300+ yards and one at 650+ yards. I'll admit that some of it was luck since I figured it was 450 yards, but I wouldn't have considered taking the shot without the higher magnification.

The biggest problem everyone has is buying something so costly without ever seeing one. I'll make the same offer as I do with most everyone. Feel free to stop by sometime and I can let you get some first hand experience with my equipment.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Holy crap Rookie... Most of my vehicles have cost less than your scopes. :faint: I reckon if coyote pelts get up to a couple grand apiece it would be worth it for me. :):

Top Bottom