• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You arent shooting slugs out of your field barrel are you? If so and it is choked (either fixed or screw in) DO NOT shoot a slug out of a full choke! I believe improved is the smallest choke you would be able to shoot a slug out of.

I killed quite a few deer when I was young shooting fosters through a fixed modified barrel with a bead sight.

old man Bill

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My 870's all like something different, you'd think they were wimmin. I found that Winchester slugs worked pretty well in most and Remington's were the worst. I had one Wingmaster 870 that, when loaded with Rem's, would let you hit the side of a barn but you had to be in the barn. Get a box of several different one and head to the range and try 'em out to see what the pipe likes. If it's a rifled barrel, don't use rifled slugs, use sabbots. JM2CW
    Bill

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Winchester fosters of old had a larger OD than those of Remington. Rumor has it Remingtons were smaller because they thought some folks would shoot them from full chokes.

Remington made their "slugger" fosters larger in OD a few years back. I still see some boxes with "new/improved" on them at stores.

Which makes me wonder if what is of regular packaging on store shelves is the new new stuff or the old old.

Go Wnchester, and make sure the boxes are from the same lot # (on one of the endflaps). ;)

Jrod

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Same here I shoot cheap slugs out of my 870 mag and have never had any issues. Great inexpensive deer gun.

Taylor1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    indianapolis
    Yea with me not testing the shotgun of which slug would be best I'm holding off on using the 870 and have decided to use my 16 gauge I used it growing up and know it well

Top Bottom