• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nsolimini

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ellettsville
    "A new piece of technology in Iowa may soon make police pursuits a thing of the past."

New Device May End Police Pursuits | Military.com

Not sure how I feel about this device. I mean sure you can back off and not chase the bad guy at high speeds, but what when he decides to stop suddenly and ditch the car the police aren't close enough to see where he took off to on foot. However, it is pretty cool

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Seeing as how a number of high speed chases end with a crash into an innocent third party, this is a good compromise. Police can follow from a distance at normal speeds and notify other LEO as the now slow speed pursuit continues to minimize the search area after the BG stops.

Last edited:

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I like this idea and it addresses the problem as it stands today but it may be the 21st century 'works-in-the-drawer' solution. After all, as cars become more tech-enabled they become easier to track anyways. One of the 'features' of GM's OnStar technology that they certainly don't advertise is that in addition to being able to unlock your doors remotely it can also disable the vehicle remotely. All the police would have to do is run the plate, pull up the VIN, confirm that is the vehicle's description and OnStar could end a pursuit in seconds, even locking the occupants inside the vehicle until LEO can secure the perimeter around the vehicle. The only reason this isn't more common already is that there's no protocol in place for police to execute rapid confirmation of the vehicle in the midst of a pursuit... they're kind of too busy maintaining pursuit while attempting to neutralize the situation. So until such technology is near-universally deployed this tagging device seems like a reasonable alternative.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seeing as how most high speed chases end with a crash into an innocent third party

"Most" or "some"? Most means over 50%. That's far from my experience.

If it works, great. It would be safer for everyone, pursuits are dangerous, especially in congested areas. At some point, you still have to stop them, though.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    Prepaid cellphone with GPS tracking app enabled and duct-taped to a harpoon gun spear.
    Total estimated cost: $200

Actually you can buy a tiny square about the size of a quarter that is cell enabled. Kinda pricey at $320 but you can hide it in the cab of your vehicle and make a call to it from your cell phone. It automatically picks up without a noise and you can listen in on what's going on. You could even put it in your child's back pack or sew it into his/her clothing.

Small GPS trackers can be had for a price that text your phone the GPS coordinates and you can track it on a map. Or you could buy a cheap pay as you go cellphone that has GPS and there's GPS tracking apps out there. Just set it to answer automatically with no ring. Maybe even wire it's power into your 12V system so you never have to charge it. Another idea would be using that same cell with an audio app that detects a sound and then texts you a message to let you know that someone is tampering.

Plenty of ideas if you're creative.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    "Most" or "some"? Most means over 50%. That's far from my experience.

If it works, great. It would be safer for everyone, pursuits are dangerous, especially in congested areas. At some point, you still have to stop them, though.
    Apologies, I was guessing and figuring someone in the know would eventually augment my statement to reflect reality.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    GREAT! That's a cheap price to pay I think! I don't support high speed chases unless it's to catch a kidnapping victim or a murderer. Just my opinion so if you don't like it no need to cry that I hate cops or am uninformed. I'd rather implement items like this not only for public safety but also officer safety. Yes cops are better drivers tan most but the scum bags being chased aren't.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I like this idea and it addresses the problem as it stands today but it may be the 21st century 'works-in-the-drawer' solution. After all, as cars become more tech-enabled they become easier to track anyways. One of the 'features' of GM's OnStar technology that they certainly don't advertise is that in addition to being able to unlock your doors remotely it can also disable the vehicle remotely. All the police would have to do is run the plate, pull up the VIN, confirm that is the vehicle's description and OnStar could end a pursuit in seconds, even locking the occupants inside the vehicle until LEO can secure the perimeter around the vehicle. The only reason this isn't more common already is that there's no protocol in place for police to execute rapid confirmation of the vehicle in the midst of a pursuit... they're kind of too busy maintaining pursuit while attempting to neutralize the situation. So until such technology is near-universally deployed this tagging device seems like a reasonable alternative.
    OnStar usually needs to speak with the owner first. Then they hang up and call us back to confirm we are legit. for stolen cars, it usually takes them 30 minutes of procedural bs before I can get a location...too long for most persuits.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville

OnStar actually DOES advertise this feature on the radio quite frequently. The plotline is that some guy's truck gets stolen and with one quick move it's disabled. The bad guy gets caught, the good guy gets his truck back. For now the technology won't be widely adopted simply because too many people are driving around in clunkers. In time I could see it becoming a government standard that all cars on the road must have a remote-disabling device. Most of the sheep would have no problem with it but there will always be an element who will see the harm in allowing outside access to who can and can't control your vehicle. Savvy hackers have already figured out ways of remoting into cars with all the new technology. Imagine how it will be when the government starts mandating even more of it. I'm happy with my older tech.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    OnStar actually DOES advertise this feature on the radio quite frequently. The plotline is that some guy's truck gets stolen and with one quick move it's disabled. The bad guy gets caught, the good guy gets his truck back. For now the technology won't be widely adopted simply because too many people are driving around in clunkers. In time I could see it becoming a government standard that all cars on the road must have a remote-disabling device. Most of the sheep would have no problem with it but there will always be an element who will see the harm in allowing outside access to who can and can't control your vehicle. Savvy hackers have already figured out ways of remoting into cars with all the new technology. Imagine how it will be when the government starts mandating even more of it. I'm happy with my older tech.

In the 5 years I spent on the street, I had exactly one Onstar recovery. It was on a vehicle that had already been ditched long enough that the hood was cold.

Top Bottom