• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I spotted a pole myself that was nearly eaten completely through. It was on the line that goes from the corner of Jackson/Williams St. in Salem to Henriot and Main in Georgetown.

I've seen linemen working on that line in weather I'd never thought they would be working in.
    That's usually when they're needed to be working the most. If you don't like working in bad weather you shouldn't be in Utilities.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    The concern about having your power cut in error because someone else didn't pay their bill should be a real one. A week or so ago, I scheduled a disconnect with the local power company to upgrade a panel for a customer. I gave the address and received a work order for the requested day and time. Lineman never showed. After placing a few calls with the power company, it was apparent that they had sent a lineman to an completely different address in a completely different city to disconnect the power. Not sure if it was human error or computer error, but errors happen. The more layers of technology we add to the system, the more likely this stuff is to happen.

Lpherr

Occupied
    The concern about having your power cut in error because someone else didn't pay their bill should be a real one. A week or so ago, I scheduled a disconnect with the local power company to upgrade a panel for a customer. I gave the address and received a work order for the requested day and time. Lineman never showed. After placing a few calls with the power company, it was apparent that they had sent a lineman to an completely different address in a completely different city to disconnect the power. Not sure if it was human error or computer error, but errors happen. The more layers of technology we add to the system, the more likely this stuff is to happen.
    Talking with more people, some say they had to put a second meter on their house, specifically for their A/C. During peak times, if the grid is being taxed, they will shut the power off to the A/C. I'm sure this could leak over to main power as well, if someone decides it to be.
    Another was offered a remote programable thermostat, so the power company can reduce the temp, or turn off the HVAC, to lower energy costs. I decide how warm, or how cool I need to be. I pay the bill, and incompetence plays such a huge role these days, and I don't want to return home to frozen or burst pipes because "someone" forgot.
    The list goes on. Everyone wants to control everyone.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Talking with more people, some say they had to put a second meter on their house, specifically for their A/C. During peak times, if the grid is being taxed, they will shut the power off to the A/C. I'm sure this could leak over to main power as well, if someone decides it to be.
    Another was offered a remote programable thermostat, so the power company can reduce the temp, or turn off the HVAC, to lower energy costs. I decide how warm, or how cool I need to be. I pay the bill, and incompetence plays such a huge role these days, and I don't want to return home to frozen or burst pipes because "someone" forgot.
    The list goes on. Everyone wants to control everyone.
    If you don’t know it already, you do now, the grid cannot sustain the coming use levels. You will not be in control of your power, that will be history. California is just leading the curve, not an anomaly…

Reactions: Leo

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Our meter was swapped out last year one day. No notice, just a quick power outage. I thought it was odd since there was no weather but all my critical stuff is on UPS so I didn't think anything of it. Later that day I noticed the new meter. Did a quick look around the neighborhood and saw that all meters had seeming been changed. This is from IPL/AES.

I'm not too concerned. In a hacking, SHTF, or emergency situation it should be easy enough to bypass the meter. That assumes the utility is still live at all though.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just because the meter is in a locked yard doesn't mean they can't read it.if it's visible from outside of the yard there is a good chance they can read it.

When I read meters I would rather not enter a fenced yard to read, and read the majority of them from outside a fence.

The company I work for went to the meters that you collect by driving by. Are you on AEP?
    We're AEP, jaybird and it is my understanding that our smart meters form a mesh network. Supposedly they are read remotely and no meter readers at all

An outage basically reports itself and is easy to locate and an app gives me access to a lot of granular data about usage as well as allowing me to see if an outage is widespread, just a few or just me and lets me leave and check in real time to see when power is back on or get alerts

The downside is they are cheap Chinese made junk, mostly plastic lowest bidder type stuff and there are quite a few reports of some overheating and catching on fire

origin.jpg

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    We're AEP, jaybird and it is my understanding that our smart meters form a mesh network. Supposedly they are read remotely and no meter readers at all

An outage basically reports itself and is easy to locate and an app gives me access to a lot of granular data about usage as well as allowing me to see if an outage is widespread, just a few or just me and lets me leave and check in real time to see when power is back on or get alerts

The downside is they are cheap Chinese made junk, mostly plastic lowest bidder type stuff and there are quite a few reports of some overheating and catching on fire

View attachment 186801
    Yeah ours are the same style.

All the digital meters for the last 20 years remote read or not have been garbage. The older metal dial indicator meters are by far the best, the plastic indicators aren't terrible, but the digital ones are not nearly as good or durable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A hack isn't much different than AEP, in regards to shutting off our power, other than a hack would target more than one house or business.
    Shutting down a grid is different than singling out an individual address.
    We used to have DirecTV, and they shut off our access based off of another account that they inverted numbers on.
    It wasn't pleasant getting it straightened out, so I imagine this happening with our power, in the dead of winter, when it's 0* on a Sunday night.
    I'll pay the extra $17.
    Why do you think you need to have a smart meter for that to happen? Do you think they won't send someone to a house to cut the power off?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    When I was in Texas, around 2008 or so they put "smart meters" in huge amounts of homes all over Houston and Dallas. They were a disaster, ended up with multiple huge class action lawsuits, Federal and State level involvement, etc. 10's of millions of dollars of over billing was proven. (funny that none of the meters were proven to undercharge). The technology just was not accurate or reliable. I would hope that they have refined it since then.

My personal house that had $70-$90 per month electric bills for 15 years got a $2400 electric bill the month after they changed the meter. I even provided engineering documentation that their feed to my house could not have conducted that amount of electricity.

There have also been studies documented that the signal strength and frequency of the transmissions from the smart meters have caused a significant number of health problems.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I am a director of a local member owned REMC utility. Without picking on anyone individually who has commented in thread I can state 90% of what has derogatorily written is pure horsesh*t.

A response to contradict all the misstatements to outright lies would take several paragraphs and not worth the effort.

Suffice to say all you independent “ not on my property I don’t trust any utility and I know a guy whose brother-in-law‘s barber is married to her kid sister“ who knows first hand not to trust any business that resembles big brother and I’ll certainly show’em who’s in charge if they try that on my property.“.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    I had a smart meter for years now (remc huntington county). Never had any issues.

They have a phone app that has daily, weekly, monthly, yearly usage records. Numerous txt or email alerts can be configuered for maximum or minimum usage, kwh or $. Alerts can be sent for power outage detected and when restored. Several can be set up for billing such as past due alerts.

Our nat gas also smart read and has a similar phone app for info.

funeralweb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I

I wonder if Smart Meters made this possible. Might as well just do away with budgeting if it can be changed quarterly...​

Email from Duke Energy this week:​

Your Budget Billing Annual Plan is Changing.​

In April, we’re upgrading to a new, modernized billing and technology system. As part of these changes, your Budget Billing Annual Plan will include an updated review process to prevent a large settle-up at the end of your plan.
    No action is required on your part. We simply wanted to notify you of the changes in advance.​
    • Beginning in April, your Budget Billing plan amount will be reviewed on a quarterly basis and may be automatically adjusted to keep your payments more in line with your actual usage. Adjustments are based on your average usage over the previous 12 months.
    • If adjustments are needed, we'll notify you a month in advance through a message on your bill as well as a letter or email based on your preference. Since adjustments will be automatic, you do not have to call us to request a change.
    • Starting in April, your bill will include an improved analysis chart displaying the progression of your plan charges and your actual annual usage costs to date.

Like your current plan, any final difference between your Budget Billing amount and actual usage at the end or your plan will be reflected in your settle-up that occurs in month 12.
    We will also continue to offer customers the option of the Budget Billing Quarterly Plan. The Quarterly Plan works similarly to the Annual Plan, but automatically adjusts every quarter as needed to avoid the need for any year-end settle-up.
    We hope you continue to enjoy the predictability and convenience of Budget Billing.​

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I wonder if Smart Meters made this possible. Might as well just do away with budgeting if it can be changed quarterly...​

Email from Duke Energy this week:​

Your Budget Billing Annual Plan is Changing.​

Sounds like preparing for rate increases and will need to get them paid for…

frickyjim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    I am a director of a local member owned REMC utility. Without picking on anyone individually who has commented in thread I can state 90% of what has derogatorily written is pure horsesh*t.

A response to contradict all the misstatements to outright lies would take several paragraphs and not worth the effort.

Suffice to say all you independent “ not on my property I don’t trust any utility and I know a guy whose brother-in-law‘s barber is married to her kid sister“ who knows first hand not to trust any business that resembles big brother and I’ll certainly show’em who’s in charge if they try that on my property.“.
    Sorry you don't want to take the time to enlighten those of us who have inquiring and questioning minds. But with your disdain and derogatory remarks I wonder if you could give unbiased facts.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    eating-popcorn.gif

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Sorry you don't want to take the time to enlighten those of us who have inquiring and questioning minds. But with your disdain and derogatory remarks I wonder if you could give unbiased facts.
    My intent was to not single out any one specific individual. The folks I was referring to were the ones who didn’t cite any specific issues that had caused problems. Rather, their comments, for the most part, was by gosh and by God I know the electric utility is nothing but a big business rip off scam and the primary goal is to keep the little guy down.

It‘s not hard to do some research about smart metering. One comment, I think, in a post was that the electric utility had raised their rates exponentially and could do so because of the smart meter. Or. . . . . . .the utility needed to raise rates to pay for the newly installed smart meter. Both theories are pure BS.

The purpose of smart meters are :

Enable remote meter reading which is more accurate than a personal on site reading by an individual.

The cost to the utility is lower. No personnel cost - wages, benefits, vacation, sick time, pension, 401k, etc. Before you say the meter reader is now out of a job - so is the guy who made buggy whips. Life goes on. Industries change. Technological advances impact us all.

A smart meter can identify electric usage anomalies which, in turn, can be used to assist home owners in learning how to conserve energy.

Smart meters represent a technological advance. No more. No less. No government intrusion, no big brother control. So, if you’re worried - you can take off your tin foil hat. Life is gonna be okay.

I can’t speak first hand for investor owned utilities (IOU) like Duke. I represent a Rural Electric Member Cooperative (REMC) in one of the donut counties surrounding Indy. The utility is member owned. There are no investors and no dividends are paid. Any “profit” ( margin over expenses ) is returned to members in the form of patronage on a periodic basis. The members are represented by directors whom the members vote for in an open election. Anyone who is a member (buys electricity) can run for the director position in the district where they receive service.

Members can attend board meetings and annual meetings and openly discuss concerns and issues with Co Op management or the directors, and may remove a director by voting them out on a three year rotational basis. It is the purest form of democracy. ( It is not a democratic republic )

For those living on a Duke, AEP, or other IOU line, complain to the Indiana regulatory commission if you have a complaint. Don’t, however, expect the IOU management to curtail any program, service, or benefit if it will mean the shareholders stock price or dividend will suffer.

Electricity is a unique commodity. Realistically speaking, it is an on demand commodity. It can‘t be stored for later use like fossil fuels or other products. (Not even if you believe Elon Musk is about to solve the cost and production of battery storage. Hint - it ain’t gonna happen in our lifetime.)

For those who want to escape the dependence on a utility - then convert to solar or wind. But, please be honest and include the cost of the equipment, the useful life, the time for cost recovery, and what to do when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow. Then factor in the cost of the batteries you’ll need to purchase. Thereafter, also calculate maintenance costs and additional insurance premiums. If you think you can generate enough electricity on your own and sell the excess back to the grid - then please explain who is going to pay for the transmission lines, meters, etc. to enable you to do so. I suspect you’ll want the utility to cover that expense.

This country is heading for a huge surprise in short order re: energy costs. Political administrations are convincing planet earth needs to be saved and fossil fuel generation is evil. According the Green Party we all need to buy electric cars, install our own generation equipment, and demand utilities only generate electric from renewables ( wind, solar, and hydro ). Don’t count on nuclear cause that ain’t in vogue now either. Don’t worry that the US is compromising the safety and efficiency of fossil fuel generation while China is building 50 new coal fired plants a year and Russia is selling oil and natural gas to European countries for ransom prices. (See news reports about Germany). I could go on and on. This is a complex problem. But the utilities aren‘t a huge conspiracy to stick it to the little guy. If you want buy a gasoline powered generator and make your own knock yourself out. (Pssst - how much is gasoline right now ? )

I’ll wait for replies.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom