• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    This fall my wife and I are taking a road trip out east. Currently here is out route. Indy>Niagara Falls>Brattleboro, VT>Mt Washington>Portland, ME>Salem, MA>Boston>Indy. Doing all of this in a week with mostly one night stays.

Anything you recommend seeing on the trip? I would like to drive out on the beach in Cape Cod and my wife is looking forward all of the witch stuff in Salem. I would like to ride UTVs up by Mt Washington but I don't know if I can convince her to get in a UTV with me driving.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Guess this would be new England
    But seeing Gettysburg in the fall was absolutely beautiful.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's not exactly on the way, but instead of going straight to Niagara we went to Gettysburg PA first. Then up through NY, stopping in Buffalo for lunch at the Anchor Grill (originator of the Buffalo wing), then across the border in to Niagara Falls.

Highly recommend staying on the Canada side at Niagara, the US side is dumpy. See Ft. Niagara on the US side, though, if you like historical what-nots with cannons.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Highly recommend staying on the Canada side at Niagara, the US side is dumpy. See Ft. Niagara on the US side, though, if you like historical what-nots with cannons.
    Definitely see the Canadian side. When we went to Niagara we signed up for a tour. It was a large van with maybe 12 people on board and covered both sides of the falls. Worked out well to see a lot in one day. The driver would drop you off at a site to view and you did not have to screw around with driving and parking. Some stops were a quick look and see with some explanation from the driver. Other stops you did Maid of the Mist and when done hopped back in the van for the next destination. We were able to see a lot in one day and not having the stress of driving and parking was nice.

Of course take your passports and look at the naughty list of items not to take over the border.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    P
    It's not exactly on the way, but instead of going straight to Niagara we went to Gettysburg PA first. Then up through NY, stopping in Buffalo for lunch at the Anchor Grill (originator of the Buffalo wing), then across the border in to Niagara Falls.

Plan is to drive up on the Canadian side. Our hotel is also on the Canadian side.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Guess this would be new England
    But seeing Gettysburg in the fall was absolutely beautiful.

Agreed.

I love Gettysburg. As many times as I have been there I never tire of driving/walking through the battlefield or up and down Baltimore St. Of coarse, Mr. G's Ice Cream is a nice bonus.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    While in Boston area go and see the USS Constitution. It's not far from Salem. It is a cool piece of history.
    My wife and I did just about that exact same vacation last year but in reverse order. We stopped first night in Pittsburg and messed around a little. We went to Boston and spent a day then up to Portland, ME. Spent 2 days there just hanging out and checking out the old pier area. Went to Niagra and spent a couple days there then came home. We were going to stop at the Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland but couldn't make the timing work. They require prebought tickets with a timed entry.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    While in Boston area go and see the USS Constitution. It's not far from Salem. It is a cool piece of history.
    My wife and I did just about that exact same vacation last year but in reverse order. We stopped first night in Pittsburg and messed around a little. We went to Boston and spent a day then up to Portland, ME. Spent 2 days there just hanging out and checking out the old pier area. Went to Niagra and spent a couple days there then came home. We were going to stop at the Rock and Roll hall of fame in Cleveland but couldn't make the timing work. They require prebought tickets with a timed entry.
    I'm not a big history buff but I am going to add this to the list! Looks really cool.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Anybody been mountain biking at Mount Washington? Trying to decide if it's worth the side trip.
    Looks like a steep mountain for biking. Better have a granny gear up front and a pie plate on the rear.

It’s a tough one, alternating steep and not-so-steep all the way up. Mostly steep.

Mt_Washington.jpg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Mount Washington is a must experience. Do research and bring cold weather gear.

Battleship Cove in MA is probably the best museum ship experience I've ever seen.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Battleship Cove in MA is probably the best museum ship experience I've ever seen.
    This^^.
    If you go out onto Cape Cod, consider Provincetown (Gomorrah by the sea). Much like Key West, be ready for an "interesting cultural experience." We had young kids along last time we went, and they had many questions that were not answerable then (such as why would they Spank the Monkey [store name] - was he bad?).

Top Bottom