• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I am the first person outside of the industry to actually see it or report on it so this really is an exclusive.

Detonics Defense...is on the verge (read that as next couple of weeks) of introducing a fully CNC machined 1911 pistol (that is another industry first for Detonics).

SVI has offered fully CNC machined 1911 and 2011 frames for several years. Detonics offering such a frame is not an industry first. The modular design likely qualifies as such, but not full CNC machining of the frame from bar stock.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    SVI has offered fully CNC machined 1911 and 2011 frames for several years. Detonics offering such a frame is not an industry first. The modular design likely qualifies as such, but not full CNC machining of the frame from bar stock.

Are their slides also fully CNC machined from bar stock? And the hammers and small parts?

I said fully CNC machined gun. Not just the frame.

So MD, since your so close to the Detonics personnel, do you get a free one or at least a major discount? Not for resale of course but for your personal?
    No. But I wish!!! Sadly I don't. I'm just a collector. Actually I'm really just a collector of the Seattle, WA guns. I have 1 each of the Arizona, Georgia and Illinois guns produced to date. But I have many dozens of the Washington era production guns.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've really come to more closely examine my traditionally styled Limited Edition CombatMaster (pictured in POST #3 and again below) because it uses the very same new style slide and hammer that will be used on this all new CNC machined design that is pictured POST #4 of this thread.

Take a very close look at the hammer in the photos. You may not be able to see it in the pictures but its more interesting that you might think based on first glance.

18-1.jpg

The serrations in the hammer are tapered on the side, which you may be able to see in the photos??? That means that they don't dig into your shirt or your skin. They are square cut serrations, which you can clearly see and they are very grippy against your thumb, there is no slipping. But even more interesting is that the "bottom" and "top" serrations are taller than the next two serrations as you move toward the center. The center serration is the lowest. So its sort of like a bowl. These serration heights are not really apparent when you look at it casually, but your thumb actually fits into it rather than resting across a straight plane with cuts in it. Not sure I'm really describing it well, but its actually a very impressive piece of design work that is functional. Again, you really don't see it, but if you carefully look at it you realize someone put a heck of a lot of thought into the serrations on that little odd shaped hammer.

Here is another view of the hammer, not previously posted, this may give a slightly better view of that to which I refer:

17-1.jpg

The slide serrations are also interesting. Not just visually, but again functionally. While they look like wide angled cuts they are very grippy cuts. I've tried many guns with serrations that are cut so close together that they actually are not as grippy as the serration cuts on the slide of my Limited Edition slide. Think of it like checkering on a front strap. If it is "too fine" then you almost don't feel it. But if the checkering is in the 20lpi range you can really hang onto the gun because you really feel those serrations as they grip your hand. That is the way these new wide spaced angled serrations on the slide seem to work. Because they are spaced out a bit, and because of the angle at which they are cut, you get a very good grip on the side of the slide.

My initial impressions of the Limited Edition gun were that it was a 'stylish' gun.

My further impressions are that it is a well designed, highly engineered gun.

Now if they took that much time refining the little details in just the slide and the hammer, I have to think that the upcoming modular gun is going to be even more well thought out. Honestly one of the things that concerns me about the new all metal grip on the modular gun is that the grip may be slippery? Especially if it gets wet with rain, or, heaven forbid, you own blood. Hopefully the grip design will prevent that. But since I've not had the opportunity to try it I can't speak to it either way. I'm lucky to have gotten some information that I've shared, but I'm just a customer/collector no different than anyone else here. I'll get my new all CNC machined gun no sooner than anyone else, it will arrive AFTER the public release and then only after I pay the same full price as anyone else. Yes, I'm going to buy one as soon as possible!!! And I'm hoping that it is as highly engineered as it appears, but I'm also hoping they thought about some of these factors that we all are questioning.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I would be very interested in a 5 inch gun in 40 sw. I think it would make a great uspsa limited gun. Sadly it doesn't sound like it will be available any time soon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Here is a better photo of the slide serrations. Remember this photo is of my current production Limited Edition CombatMaster, it uses the same slide as is used on the upcoming modular gun so it is sort of a prelude to what we will see when the new gun is introduced.

I discussed the slide serrations in my previous post but below are some additional thoughts.

14-3.jpg

Traditional serrations are vertical with minimal spacing and depth. Some serrations are so close together they serve no functional purpose beyond cosmetic. On the new slide they cut a crescent moon shape to capture your finger pads as they rack the slide. But to enhance the gripping of the pads, they cut the serrations on an angle that allows the pads of your fingers to seat themselves for maximum gripping. Using my neighbor micrometer, I measured 30 thousands deep from the beginning of the serration to its deepest point. The serrations are cut at a forward canting angle AND cut into the slide at an angle. While the slide doesn't look like it would offer a firm gripping surface I can assure you it has a very secure gripping texture.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Melensdad, I found some pics of the left side on the net. As I look at pics, it appears that this pistol will NOT have a plunger assembly and grip safety? Is the grip polymer or metal? I am intrigued by the concept of these pistols the more I see pics of them. Of course, the real proof would be to hold and shoot one.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    GRIP SAFETY: Detonics has not used a grip safety on their compact 1911 pistols since they where first developed in the mid-1970s. They have only used them on their larger 1911 pistols.

The Limited Edition gun that I own, that is in some of these photos does not have a functional grip safety. I am not sure if the new, soon to be introduced, modular framed gun will have a functional grip safety. The rear of the frame is cut for a grip safety, it has a beavertail, which is part of a typical grip safety, but I simply don't know if the grip safety is functional or not.

PLUNGER ASSEMBLY: All of the current and past production Detonics pistols have the plunger assembly. I believe the plunger assembly on the new gun is totally integrated into the frame like the STI double stack 1911 pistols, rather than added onto the frame like on a traditional single stack 1911. I am not 100% certain of this, but I believe it to be true.

GRIP MATERIAL: Steel, at least it was on the prototype guns in my first photo. But because it is fully CNC machined it is thinner than some of the cast frames.

Last edited:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Are their slides also fully CNC machined from bar stock? And the hammers and small parts?

Yes. Slides, frames, grip safeties and most other parts are CNC milled from bar stock. Even their barrels are CNC machined from bar stock with a single continuous process that they do in house. Hammers and sears are made from tool steel using a CNC electrical discharge machining process. Struts, disconnectors and the trigger base pads and inserts are also made with a CNC EDM process using a variety of materials.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I got an email from an acquaintance inside the factory, the modular guns will be shipping sometime during the week starting Monday Oct 24. Not sure when the website will be updated to begin accepting orders from end users like us. I suspect there are some selected stocking dealers and wholesalers who have already placed orders and the initial production may be going to them with website orders being filtered into the shipping schedule as the the orders arrive.

Yes. Slides, frames, grip safeties and most other parts are CNC milled from bar stock. . .
    OK, I learned something. Let me amend my statement.

The Detonics will be the first fully CNC machined fully modular PRODUCTION gun from a production gun company that allows for end user switching between single & double stack configurations in both compact and full size pistols rather than from a semi-custom, special order manufacturer that will be shipping guns to stocking gun dealers who will support/stock the brand in their stores.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    It's a pretty nice design. The MSRP is quite a bit lower than I thought it would be for a Detonics. I'll probably wait for the full size though.

It's cool to see the Detonics brand making firearms again.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    what in the world holds the grip to the frame?......i wonder how it would hold up after 50k +
    rd's?......looks to me as a weak point....

Screenshot2011-10-03at84251PM.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ...i wonder how it would hold up after 50k + rd's?....
    Some guns have a service life of 10,000 rounds, many guns only in the 5000 round area, (I know one gun that has a service life of only 150 rounds) interesting that you'd pick the number 50,000.

Honestly I have no clue what the service life is on this gun. I'd guess it would be in the 10,000 range as that is pretty typical of an all steel gun.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have a Gold Cup that's comin' up on 50k......10k?.....maybe for the barrel?....10k seems low to me for any gun......on my fourth barrel and over 40 spring changes....a just a tad looser than what it was new.....

I'd guess it would be in the 10,000 range as that is pretty typical of an all steel gun.]

what have you seen on a quality gun give up after 10k?....10k just sounds low to me??..

btw what holds the grip on???

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not to nit-pick, but ...
    Clearly you are.

But thank you for admitting that Detonics is the first modular CNC production pistol since you just admitted that SVI is not a production pistol company.

got any pic's of where the screws go?
    Take a look at the photos I posted already. There is one above the front of the trigger guard, there is another visible in the frame above the grip.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Some guns have a service life of 10,000 rounds, many guns only in the 5000 round area, (I know one gun that has a service life of only 150 rounds) interesting that you'd pick the number 50,000.

Honestly I have no clue what the service life is on this gun. I'd guess it would be in the 10,000 range as that is pretty typical of an all steel gun.

10,000 rounds would be ridiculously low for an all steel gun.

This gun has 10K rounds through it and is just getting broken in.

10,000 round report - SVI 2011 nightstand gun - THR

This gun has more than 10K (now) and though it has had issues it is not beyond it's serviceable life. Hasn't been very reliable, but that is another story.

10K report: Les Baer Premier II - 10,000 round report - THR
    15K report: Les Baer Premier II 15,000 round report - THR

My dad has an aluminum alloy frame Kimber Custom that likely has at least 10K rounds through it and it shoots fine.

Another friend has a Model 19 S&W that he shot so much that the barrel needed to be replaced, but the gun still works just fine otherwise. I am expecting similar life from my Model 19 as well.

This gun has about 5000 rounds through it and it is just getting broken in.

Smith & Wesson 629 5000 round report - THR

Regardless, an all steel gun that is used up after just 10,000 rounds would be a rip-off.

Top Bottom