• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    So I am proud new glock owner! Searched high and low, while one was just under my nose at C&C Midwest. By the way they still have a few at very reasonable prices if anyone is looking.

On to the real topical hand; hoping some of the Glock vets on here can fill me in.

Is it required or common practice to clean the gun before the first use?
    And
    What does everyone use for cleaning supplies?

Thanks for helping the noob.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Let me guess. A 19? If I'm right I win the Glock, right? :):

But seriously, which model did ya get? As far as cleaning the gun before first use, I don't, but there are plenty on this board who do. It certainly isn't necessary with a Glock.

Also, a late welcome to INGO! :ingo:

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Congrats on your new toy. I have never cleaned a Glock before shooting it, but I have always looked down the barrel to make sure it is not obstructed!

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Glocks really do need to be broken in correctly. The easiest way to do it is on the drive home from where you purchased it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=llM3SRu0W6g

As soon as you get it home, rapidly fire a lot of rounds through it, and you will see the value of the break in period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QOvFSTYcb7c&feature=endscreen

After that, be sure to care for your Glock correctly. The article is long but it shows all the methods for assuring your Glock is always in tip-top shape.
    Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

:D

Last edited:

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    Field strip and inspect the gun, making sure nothing in hiding somewhere it should not be, like obstruction in the barrel. Then shoot the snot out of it. Glock recommends you keep as much of that copper colored lubricant in the slide rails as long as you can...it helps with breaking in a new gun

Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    It is a 19! I figured why not get something that could eventually become a carry weapon.

Thanks for the welcome.

Let me guess. A 19? If I'm right I win the Glock, right? :):

But seriously, which model did ya get? As far as cleaning the gun before first use, I don't, but there are plenty on this board who do. It certainly isn't necessary with a Glock.

Also, a late welcome to INGO! :ingo:

Indye41

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Westfield
    Thats hilarious!

Glocks really do need to be broken in correctly. The easiest way to do it is on the drive home from where you purchased it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=llM3SRu0W6g

As soon as you get it home, rapidly fire a lot of rounds through it, and you will see the value of the break in period.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=QOvFSTYcb7c&feature=endscreen

After that, be sure to care for your Glock correctly. The article is long but it shows all the methods for assuring your Glock is always in tip-top shape.
    Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

:D

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    You just made the best decision of your life! I use a combination of some kind of oil (dont remember what exactly it is), no lint swabs, and a soft brush and that cleans mine up about right. I would just go out and shoot it! No oiling or cleaning needed from the factory.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Ahhhhhh, I remember my first Glock, many, many Glocks ago ........
    Congrats on what you will discover to be a very wise and enjoyable investment!
    Safe shooting. :patriot:

Cto

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Hamilton Co
    So I am proud new glock owner! Searched high and low, while one was just under my nose at C&C Midwest. By the way they still have a few at very reasonable prices if anyone is looking.

On to the real topical hand; hoping some of the Glock vets on here can fill me in.

Is it required or common practice to clean the gun before the first use?
    And
    What does everyone use for cleaning supplies?

Thanks for helping the noob.

Congrats! Me too. Bought my first glock a few weeks ago.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Great decision on you 19...Hoppes and CLP are my cleaning/lubricating choices. Shoot it as much as you can, you will find it more comfortable in your hand every time you shoot it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    It is a 19! I figured why not get something that could eventually become a carry weapon.

Thanks for the welcome.

:+1:

I bought a 19 a few weeks ago, had buyers remorse and sold it. I had convinced myself that it was too big and I was too small to carry it. Regretted selling it and couldn't find another one and ended up with an XD-9. I love the XD, but Glocks are just awesome. I'm sure it will quickly become your EDC weapon.

Brandon812

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Paoli
    How much did you pay for it? If you dont care to share. Seems as thought lots of people get either 17 or 19 for their first gun. Which is what I think I might get after I get my LTCH. They seems to be harder to find lately.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    19's are the schnitzel welcome to the dark side!

Glock 19 a piece of baby cow? Lol

On topic, I always clean my guns before I shoot them, Glock or not, just to make sure they are good to go and actually lubricated. There's only one gun I have that won't be cleaned by me before I shoot it and that's because I know who the previous owner is and I cam smell the gun oil on it from where it has been cleaned.

When I clean mine I use a rag to take off all the big stuff and then use Hoppes and Q-tips for the most part to get the small things. Then I use automotive wheel bearing grease to lubricate afterwards.

If you are thinking about carrying the G19 in the future, I can definitely say that's a good idea. I carry one, myself, in a N82 Tactical IWB holster and love it. Light, compact, and a very easy shooter. I only use mine for self defense purposes and don't do any long range or "bullseye" target shooting and have switched my sights to the XS Big Dots. They are what I recommend if you ever get tired of the garbage factory sights.

Top Bottom