• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    I've been looking around a lot and reading a lot of forums and discussions on guns and as you can imagine I've seen glock sig and beretta being brought up a lot. I've been leaning towards the sig p226. However I have a few questions about it. I've shot a gun before many times so I have experience. If you could please answer these questions for me it'd be much help! 1) is a sig a good gun to buy if I wanna have it for 50+ years if kept in good condition. 2) is it worth it to but it brand new or better to save money and get it used? 3) If better purchase new, how do I go about getting one from the sig factory new? 4) any other guns you might suggest instead?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sig Sauer makes a fine weapon, and will certainly last you 50+ years if you do your part. But that's true with the majority of modern firearms, really.

ANY gun, regardless of price, is subject to breakage, just like automobiles. I'm sure you've seen expensive cars on a tow truck, too.

IF you shoot enough rounds through it, SOMETHING is gonna break or wear out. Despite the rhetoric, these are NOT 'anvils' or 'hammers' (which can ALSO break, BTW).

They're precision machines utilizing small parts. ANY metal part has the potential for metal fatigue or a manufacturing flaw. I do my best to avoid these problems by basic maintenance (cleaning and oiling, etc.) AND by going through the gun with some regularity and looking for potential signs of wear, etc. ANYTHING 'suspicious'.

If there's ANY doubt, even an 'inkling' I get from that inspection, or ANY indication my gunsmith buddy gives me, I change the part, period. ESPECIALLY for any gun I carry for self-defense purposes. IMO, it's cheap 'security'.

You didn't mention which P226 you wanted. I believe Sig has about 25 models listed on their site, just for the P226.

IMO, buy new whenever possible. No need to buy from Sig directly, and you usually can't do so anyway. For personal use, need to go to your favorite FFL dealer (online or local) to make a purchase.

I prefer buying from a local gun shop (LGS) whenever possible. For one thing, I can put my hands on the weapon in which I'm interested. Second, if I like it, I want THAT gun, not another one just like it. I look at the serial number when I'm handling it, and that's the serial number I'm buying. Just a personal thing with me.

For other guns, man you have choices! In no particular order: Sig, Glock, Colt, FN, S&W, Kimber, Kahr, Springfield Arms, Kel-Tec, H&K, Ruger, and MORE!

You'll have those who's personal bias will say "You MUST buy 'this' 'cause it's great, don't buy 'that' 'cause it sucks". But the TRUTH of the matter is there's so many great choices out there today that it's almost impossible to buy a 'crappy' gun (though they are out there).

Find something YOU like, that seems to 'sit' well in YOUR hand, the operates easily for you (safeties, mag ejector button, etc.), and (IMO MOST important) has 'pointability' - just seems to 'automatically' sit dead-on target when you line up the sights.

The Sig is a great handgun. If that's what you like, you're most certainly making a fine choice.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Any P226 will treat you right if you treat it right. I've bought new ones and used ones...they are all fantastic firearms.

Since you are new at this, I'd recommend going to your local gun store and getting a new one, with a warranty, etc. The hot item in the 226 world nowadays is the MK25 version. I have one and would recommend it to anyone.

Kozzmo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2013
    Thank you for your responses guys i really appreciate it! I would like to feel how it sits in my hand before buying it, but aren't most guns at LGS already used? I thought that you would have to talk to the owner and get them to order one from the manufacturer. But then again I haven't gone to look yet, kinda wanted an idea before I did go there. But yeah they do make a lot of different models of the sig p226, I thought the stainless one looked nice. But the mk25 is nice too? What about these different models make them nice? I just thought the stainless would be nice because it's all stainless and not aluminum. I'm more a fan of a flat black gun, nothing flashy.

MG77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    If this is your first gun purchase, 1 suggestion for what it is worth, I would fit several different guns and dry fire/fire and see which one feels the best. I was talked into a Springfield on my first handgun purchase 4 or 5 years ago by reading up on them probably only handled 3 guns total and jumped into the purchase. If I had it to do again I would have grabbed a hold of- Sig, Glock, Colt, FN, S&W, Kimber, Kahr, Kel-Tec, H&K, Ruger, and MORE! And maybe poked around and gave each one a dry run. I like the Springfield and shoot it well for me but like the S and W better and it feels at home in my hand.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    IMHO, even though Sigs are still good guns, I will disagree with the buy new part. And that stands true for MANY different brands of guns.

Quality of parts has been slowly decreasing for many years now. These days you must buy from a premium, custom manufacturer to get a firearms that truly has a ton of attention to detail. This level of service used to be standard for many manufacturers. It isn't anymore.

Regarding Sig specifically. Somewhere around the early 2000's they started drastically cutting costs in order to more effectively compete with the likes of Glock and other polymer framed handguns. They rode on their reputation for quite a while, and they still are somewhat. Although I think they've figured out that it's bad practice to put out bad products and use your customers as the quality control department, its still happening occasionally. In the early-mid 2000's it was happening a lot. It wasn't uncommon to see many, many threads on online forums about how people were having to send back guns straight out of the factory to get them fixed to the point they should have been when they left the factory.

This all leads into the point I'm trying to make. There are 3 distinct "levels" of Sig handgun out there. Premium, cream-of-the-crop Sigs are the Sig Sauers made in Germany (and even more prized are the ones made in W Germany before the wall fell). The 2nd tier would be USA made Sigs prior to the early 2000's when QC fell off drastically. Then the lower tier would be anything made from early 2000's to present.

Some models have always been made in the USA. In that case it's best to seek out a pre-2000's model. However, the P226 has been made for a long time and there are even some W. German ones out there. Inspect for abnormal wear and barring that, you should be good. At most you may need to replace some springs. The benefit of buying used is that ideally somebody has already made sure there is nothing wrong with it and if there is, it's been sent back to Sig to be corrected.

That beings said, there is nothing wrong with new Sigs. You just may have to deal with some head-aches if you get a lemon. Sig has HORRIBLE customer service, as a matter of fact, I wouldn't call it "service" at all. Sig is notorious for not selling replacement parts to the customer, for some parts they make you send it to them. In one particular instance with me they claimed that a grip was not a user-servicable part and that I needed to send the gun in to get it replaced. :n00b:

FWIW, I'm not biased. I happen to like Sigs, and own 3 Sig handguns and 2 Sig rifles. I try at all cost to cherry pick the time-frames when they have the least QC problems because I know how bad they are about putting out poor product and how horrible their CS is when you do get poor product. If anybody recalls the Sig 556 introduction it was a fiasco. I waited until they got their stuff straightened out and ended up with a very nice rifle as a result.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some of the guns are used. Some are new. Usually marked on the tag. Most Lgs will have one area/wall for new, and one for used.

reddiesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been looking around a lot and reading a lot of forums and discussions on guns and as you can imagine I've seen glock sig and beretta being brought up a lot. I've been leaning towards the sig p226. However I have a few questions about it. I've shot a gun before many times so I have experience. If you could please answer these questions for me it'd be much help! 1) is a sig a good gun to buy if I wanna have it for 50+ years if kept in good condition. 2) is it worth it to but it brand new or better to save money and get it used? 3) If better purchase new, how do I go about getting one from the sig factory new? 4) any other guns you might suggest instead?

Good lord, what a can of worms have you opened? just do not about g****s!:ar15:

Good luck with your first purchase.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County

Just so we are clear, we all had to learn somewhere and somehow, but I'm guessing from you questions that you have fired guns but not had specific defensive handgun training. If that is the case, I would recommend that you find and instructor, or someone willing to teach you, and ask them to assist you with the purchase to match the weapon with the way you intend to train and use it. Just my :twocents:

Now for your questions:

1) Yes, if you don't shoot 20,000rounds a year through it and take care of basic maintenance
    2) Depends on the gun, I've seen new ones with issues and used ones that were perfect. Take someone who knows what they are looking at with you.
    3)Get an FFL01, :):
    4)Can't answer without some more info: Get something smaller for CC and get a shotgun for a bedroom gun. May want to look at a revolver if it's something your going to throw in the nightstand. Get a Glock if you're going to compete with it. Get a tricked out 1911 if you want to look cool OCing.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have never shot a sig, so that's all I know about sigs.

I have bought a few non sigs and I always buy used when I can and new when I have to.

I have found that most people who buy guns, just buy them, not shoot them. If you keep your eyes open and are patient, you can find some really good deals on barely used guns, even now.

If you have your heart set on a particular gun, you might as well go out and buy it. If you buy something else instead now, you'll end up buying the one you really wanted sooner or later anyway. Might as well get it over with. To get exactly what you want in a reasonable time frame, you might have to buy it new and pay the premium. There are worse things in life.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just 1 thing to add: check your reach to the trigger, and whether you like the trigger 'pull'. Other than that he said it all.:yesway:
    Sig Sauer makes a fine weapon, and will certainly last you 50+ years if you do your part. But that's true with the majority of modern firearms, really.

ANY gun, regardless of price, is subject to breakage, just like automobiles. I'm sure you've seen expensive cars on a tow truck, too.

IF you shoot enough rounds through it, SOMETHING is gonna break or wear out. Despite the rhetoric, these are NOT 'anvils' or 'hammers' (which can ALSO break, BTW).

They're precision machines utilizing small parts. ANY metal part has the potential for metal fatigue or a manufacturing flaw. I do my best to avoid these problems by basic maintenance (cleaning and oiling, etc.) AND by going through the gun with some regularity and looking for potential signs of wear, etc. ANYTHING 'suspicious'.

If there's ANY doubt, even an 'inkling' I get from that inspection, or ANY indication my gunsmith buddy gives me, I change the part, period. ESPECIALLY for any gun I carry for self-defense purposes. IMO, it's cheap 'security'.

You didn't mention which P226 you wanted. I believe Sig has about 25 models listed on their site, just for the P226.

IMO, buy new whenever possible. No need to buy from Sig directly, and you usually can't do so anyway. For personal use, need to go to your favorite FFL dealer (online or local) to make a purchase.

I prefer buying from a local gun shop (LGS) whenever possible. For one thing, I can put my hands on the weapon in which I'm interested. Second, if I like it, I want THAT gun, not another one just like it. I look at the serial number when I'm handling it, and that's the serial number I'm buying. Just a personal thing with me.

For other guns, man you have choices! In no particular order: Sig, Glock, Colt, FN, S&W, Kimber, Kahr, Springfield Arms, Kel-Tec, H&K, Ruger, and MORE!

You'll have those who's personal bias will say "You MUST buy 'this' 'cause it's great, don't buy 'that' 'cause it sucks". But the TRUTH of the matter is there's so many great choices out there today that it's almost impossible to buy a 'crappy' gun (though they are out there).

Find something YOU like, that seems to 'sit' well in YOUR hand, the operates easily for you (safeties, mag ejector button, etc.), and (IMO MOST important) has 'pointability' - just seems to 'automatically' sit dead-on target when you line up the sights.

The Sig is a great handgun. If that's what you like, you're most certainly making a fine choice.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you want a beretta, get one ... but shoot one first. Shot a 92FS and the trigger, imho, is terrible.

I've shot a lot of makes/models of gun, sigs, glocks, kimbers, springfields, S&W, they all have their pros and cons. Depending on what fits your and and what you like, will help determine which way to go.

d012

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Like most have stated, proper maintenance will make a firearm last a very long time. The fit is one of the key points also for any firearm. It helped me in my decision taking NRA classes and going with friends to the range.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    Some very good advice here.

However, I do not understand how this tool is meant to be used, what is your desired end result. Also, once you have one be warned, they will like to multiply!

Identify the nitch your piece will fill. Once you know what this tool will be used to accomplish then you can start narrowing down your search.

I use a 1911 (old rusty looking piece) as it fits my hand well and has stopping power. I also use a .38 as it is easier to conceal and has enough power to stop.

As far as new/used question. A well cared for used gun is no different than a new one except for price! You can save some hard earned money buying used.

Why semi-auto? There are good reasons for one, but remember a revolver is a simpler tool in construction and use. It is much less prone to malfunction. Six .38 rounds in a revolver versus five plus one or six plus one in .380 is a bit nicer firepower. A .357 can also shoot .38. Many people find the recoil in a revolver to be less than in a semi-auto owing to the action of the slide. Others disagree. larger frames will generally equal less kick. Few will disagree about the number of rounds required. If you require more than three you are in trouble to begin with as you are outnumbered!

What type of round do you wish to shoot?

IMHO Glock is not for a new gun owner! Experienced only. That is my opinion and it is centered around the safety or lack there-of, however you see it. I like them, FWIW.

Why are you centered on the three brands? Nothing specifically wrong with them but something else might fit your hand and needs better. It might be a Ruger, Smith, or something else will better suit you.

Learn proper maintenance. Spend some time at the range, go to the NRA courses, join the NRA (or at least Indiana rifle and pistol club).

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

I don't own a Sig, but have looked them over and really think they are a darn good firearm. As to life of a firearm, I have many (I collect firearms) that are over a Hundred years old and still shoot great.

50 years in normal use and with normal care and storage should not be any problem for any quality metal weapon. I still have reservations about the Glock and similar polymer frame firearms. I am a retired Engineer and worked extensively with plastics for many years. I have never seen a plastic part that did not degrade in 30 - 40 years when exposed to sunlight. This includes ALL plastics including many expensive industrial types.

For example look at all Automobiles - the interior plastic parts crack, discolor and become brittle! A Stainless steel firearm requires less care to keep it looking and functioning well than a blued steel - but does weigh more and costs more. This does not mean a blued steel will not last well, many of mine over 100 years old still look good!

I have purchased several new guns, and many used. If I were buying a primary EDC firearm, I would lean toward a new gun, mainly as today's market is such that there is little cost differential and you do have a warranty.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I don't own a Sig, but have looked them over and really think they are a darn good firearm. As to life of a firearm, I have many (I collect firearms) that are over a Hundred years old and still shoot great.

50 years in normal use and with normal care and storage should not be any problem for any quality metal weapon. I still have reservations about the Glock and similar polymer frame firearms. I am a retired Engineer and worked extensively with plastics for many years. I have never seen a plastic part that did not degrade in 30 - 40 years when exposed to sunlight. This includes ALL plastics including many expensive industrial types.

For example look at all Automobiles - the interior plastic parts crack, discolor and become brittle! A Stainless steel firearm requires less care to keep it looking and functioning well than a blued steel - but does weigh more and costs more. This does not mean a blued steel will not last well, many of mine over 100 years old still look good!

I have purchased several new guns, and many used. If I were buying a primary EDC firearm, I would lean toward a new gun, mainly as today's market is such that there is little cost differential and you do have a warranty.

I understand what you're saying and can appreciate your experience in engineering but I don't think that the automobile plastic analogy holds up. Unless folks regularly toss their plastic framed pistols in parking lots for 8+ hours in 100 degree heat with constant sunlight exposure.
    My point is we treat our personal firearms differently then our vehicles. Based on numerous torture tests conducted I personally have no reservations about owning a modern polymer framed handgun. I feel that polymer technology has come a long way and I'd reckon in 80 years somebody will own a first generation Glock 17 that still functions as it should. Just as today we have vintage 1911s and other antique weapons that do.

Then again I suppose time will tell, in 50 years will my Xdm still function as well as it does today?... I'd bet on it.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    If you want to save a few bucks looks towards the Sig P6.

I'm gonna go off the ledge here and say the evil word that the snobs hate to hear, Hi-Point. If you just want to get out and start putting holes into paper, go get a hi-point. Life time warranty.

What ever you chose, enjoy it, if not go get another one until you find one that fits you.

Top Bottom