• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Less blast, better lighting...............outdoors is nice.
    I like space between me and the next shooter.

I've done more outdoor than I have indoor. Yes, I can see how places like Roby's, etc. try to fit as many lanes as possible which puts you closer to the guy/gal next to you.

Elwood CC or Winamac is where I shoot. Lots farther drive, but I like making a day of it.

If you've never been there and it's not too far of a drive, you might check out Hillside in Roanoke. $12 up to an hour or $15 all day (outdoor...not sure about indoor pricing). They've got 3 pistol bays, shotgun, and several rifle bays. The handgun bays have steel targets and places for you to staple/tape/stick your own targets. Really enjoy that place over the couple other places I've shot.

NEVER liked the idea of running to a range to shoot for 30 mins and run back to something else.
    I enjoy shooting, but find it more enjoyable when I have plenty of time, just relax.
    grew up shooting, spent a lot of time at some clubs............fish, shoot guns, bows.............spend the whole day out there.
    Maybe I'm just being nostalgic.............but I prefer to shoot now that same way.

Most definitely! I'm coming to enjoy shooting more and more each time I go out. So, I can understand where you're coming from.

Yes. Been a member for several years. If you ever want to visit and be a guest at the range, please let me know. I will host you and let you check it out.

Snoop, that would be fantastic! It'll probably be a few weeks, but I'll definitely be in touch. I looked at there website and saw the $65 fees. Is that the fees there are? Is there a per use fee or anything to shoot there?

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Snoop said:
    The $65 fee is the annual fee for one year of membership and includes range access. It also includes bringing your spouse or kids to the range. Members Do NOT have to pay a "per use fee" for each visit to the range. I usually renew in-person at the Autumn Tipton, IN Gun Show.

There is a $5 fee for each guest that you bring, (up to three). The guests have to stay with the member at all times while using the range. Members cannot be shooting separate from where the guest is shooting. (i.e. guest is on the 10 yard range and the sponsoring member is on the 50 yard range.)

Gun Collector

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2016
    Shelby County
    I'm always fascinated by posts that talk about gun shop experiences. How folks can have such different experiences is always interesting and quite common.

My In-Laws live up in rural Grant County/Marion and I stopped in In Laws & Out Laws 3-4 times on my way up. I've always been treated fairly and on one occasion, found the owner to be especially helpful. I did check out the range, looks good. But like Hookeye, I don't like indoor ranges. Quite frankly, I don't trust strangers I've never met and don't trust their ability to handle firearms. So I prefer to shoot outside with close friends.

McDonalds is one of my favorite gun shops. Owner is a straight shooter and I've found him to be honest and fair. I've purchased several firearms from him. Wish there were more like him around.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    since this thread has been revived i'll go ahead and throw in my experiences. My brother bought an AR at in laws & outlaws and they totally screwed him over. wrong parts, not assembled right and pretty much a beginners i don't know wtf i'm doing build. I called in to buy primers when i got there to pick them up he tried to pass magnum rifle primers as large pistol primers and then argued with me, the old man gave me the right primers and apologized, this happened twice. I went to buy either a 2" .38spl or full size 9mm and he tried to sell me everything except the guns i asked to see and pretty much refused to let me see the guns i asked for because they were "junk" despite coming from a company well known for making good guns. he refused to let my brother shoot his duty glock on the range because my brother wouldn't let him inspect it because "cops cant take care of guns" and because he brought federal ammo which is the only ammo my brother can fire though his glock per policy. i would shop elsewhere.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I've spent money there. The guy is cocky and arrogant. I know for a fact that he has flat out lied to my face. I use to shop there almost weekly for powder, when powder was scarce. It was the only place I could find 2400, and his once fired brass is a decent price. Now that reloading components are mostly back and I have plenty of brass, I stay away. Besides, I don't like to be "punished" for using a credit card or debit card...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Customers..............I think today's avg gunshop customer tends to be a whiny little b*tch.

Don't need somebody to run up and hold my hand within 15 seconds of entering a gunshop.

Fine with being left alone to look around.
    I pee standing up, can ask to see an item if it interests me. Or heaven forbid, if I don't see it, verbally inquire about he possible whereabouts.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shopping is shopping, don't care about an "experience".

I pretty much ignore stuff, but when somebody is being an ass, wrong or dishonest.............I take note.

Good items at good prices...........usually those with that are good people too, so the establishment then offering a bit more socially.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Customers..............I think today's avg gunshop customer tends to be a whiny little b*tch.

Don't need somebody to run up and hold my hand within 15 seconds of entering a gunshop.

Fine with being left alone to look around.
    I pee standing up, can ask to see an item if it interests me. Or heaven forbid, if I don't see it, verbally inquire about he possible whereabouts.

Funny that you mention that. I have not observed that type of customer behavior at McDonald's in Marion, Bare Arms in Westfield or Roby's Bullseye Outdoors in Kokomo. Of course all three proprietors are polite yet firm straight shooters, (pardon the pun), when it comes to customer service. All three are serious gun shops with broad selections of guns, ammo and accessories, along with years of experience. None of the three put off the boutique vibe, unlike some of the newer shops. It all really comes down to what you are looking for and if the owner is an douche or not.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Personally, I'd rather a sales person not talk to me, than offer up some fake arsed greeting.
    I understand how business is done, but that "autopilot" fake stuff just isn't cool.
    Most customers probably love it.
    I'm old school.
    Don't need my freakin' hand held, or some BS dialogue.

A nod, a "hi" or "watcha need?" is good enough.

And if I don't get those, that's cool too. I pee standing up, can ask for stuff.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I shop for guns/gun stuff. Not friends.
    Don't care if some sales staff is incorrect on details or major stuff.
    Not my problem.
    Don't care if they are of a personality or type that I don't care for.
    Doesn't matter.

My problem comes about when somebody is a jerk, or dishonest.

Been to lots of shops over the years, wide range of personalities. Some great, some OK, some not so good.

No problems except once.

Now problems with the customers at said shops? That's way more common.

That's why I'm sympathetic to staff. The amount of A holes they have to deal with is amazing.
    That's just doing business with Joe Pubic.

But Joe Public and guns often are a bad combo. Ignore safety rules, loaded guns etc.

Have said it before...............want to ruin a hobby? Make it a profession.

I am glad I no longer work with the public, or at a gunshop. Society has gotten more stoopid.
    The chances of a sales clerk getting shot by a dumb*ss have probably gone up exponentially.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Being in the back working on stuff is fun.
    Manning the phone, or being behind the counter............ really tests your patience.
    The avg person is rude and or stupid.

It's a game.

How much of that sheite can you take to pocket their money.

Good people/customers are a joy. Unfortunately there's not enough of them to keep a legit smile plastered across my face.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I have been to In & O 2 times, the last time solidified me going elsewhere. First time, last summer, I was a looky-loo to check the place out. Seemed nice, the guy behind the counter seemed nice enough. Briefly talked to him and left.
    Second time I had $$ in my pocket to buy bulk ammo and ask some questions..... did not even get an acknowledgement from the staff, not even a "Hey, be right with you." Granted 2 were with customers and the gal was looking over some papers, but still at the counter. One ZZ Top looking dude was jack-jawing about nothing in particular to a guy who wasn't buying, just jack-jawing. ZZ looked over at me a couple of times, and had his facial expression was one of indifference/disdain. As a former LEO, I know the look - after 10-15 minutes of looking around I grabbed some ammo and put it on the counter... still NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I was there (There were 3 staff in the store). Waited a few minutes and walked out. I wrote to them via FB and online - no response.
    Screw them!
    Plenty of other places to take my $$.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    I have been to In & O 2 times, the last time solidified me going elsewhere. First time, last summer, I was a looky-loo to check the place out. Seemed nice, the guy behind the counter seemed nice enough. Briefly talked to him and left.
    Second time I had $$ in my pocket to buy bulk ammo and ask some questions..... did not even get an acknowledgement from the staff, not even a "Hey, be right with you." Granted 2 were with customers and the gal was looking over some papers, but still at the counter. One ZZ Top looking dude was jack-jawing about nothing in particular to a guy who wasn't buying, just jack-jawing. ZZ looked over at me a couple of times, and had his facial expression was one of indifference/disdain. As a former LEO, I know the look - after 10-15 minutes of looking around I grabbed some ammo and put it on the counter... still NO ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I was there (There were 3 staff in the store). Waited a few minutes and walked out. I wrote to them via FB and online - no response.
    Screw them!
    Plenty of other places to take my $$.

If you're in the area, McDonald's Guns on 600 E are super friendly. It's a small shop, but lots of great stuff. I'm not sure how much ammo they have on hand for a bulk buy, but I'd recommend giving them a look.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    If you're in the area, McDonald's Guns on 600 E are super friendly. It's a small shop, but lots of great stuff. I'm not sure how much ammo they have on hand for a bulk buy, but I'd recommend giving them a look.

I'll second McDonalds, great shop and Jeff us a great guy.

SnoopLoggyDog

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

McDonald's has at least a couple dozen cases of assorted bulk ammo in the shop. It is on the floor, under the long gun racks. He is an honest dealer and did not raise his in-stock ammo prices after Sandyhook.

Top Bottom