new handgun....strip and lube before first shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I strip them down, clean everything with brake cleaner, then run them. Having that metal on metal shortens the break in period.

On a more sincere note I do at least a field strip so I can look at everything and make sure I'm not missing anything or I didn't get anything "extra" that I didn't pay for. Like other's have said, I want to see what's inside before I start blazing away. I do add some lube, but I'm not unlike M67 that after that I will run them until they malfunction. I do this at least once or twice to check the limits of the firearm.

However in reality, I usually end up cleaning it before I have a malfunction just because I get tired of that black ooze getting all over me and everything else.

My autoloader shotgun was really the only firearm that I shot until a malfunction (the bolt would fail to lock open). That was when I was shooting 6-7 rounds of Trap every week. Usually took about 3 weeks before I had to clean it.

About where I'm at too. Plus I just like to tinker and take things apart to put them together again.

Depends on the mfr tho. Hi-point you probably could because they don't expect the users to know how to clean them (that's what the LT warrantee's for, right?)

And of course, what's the harm in doing so.

Basically, is there a reason not to... no, so do it, is how I look at it.

It's an easy practice that removes a variable if there is an issue.

Kind of like checking the oil immediately after an oil change (if you were not the one who changed it and had not already done it as part of that process). Should I HAVE to do that? No. Do I do it? Yes.

Having worked in a shop several years, nobody else touches my cars

and even then I check the oil again afterward. Kinda like checking the chamber... one more check doesn't cost anything but not checking and missing something sure rains on your parade.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Having worked in a shop several years, nobody else touches my cars

and even then I check the oil again afterward. Kinda like checking the chamber... one more check doesn't cost anything but not checking and missing something sure rains on your parade.

Agreed, and I do similar at least on my vehicle (double check even after I have changed it myself). Now for some other vehicles in the family it is just much easier to have a shop deal with it, as I can't get under them as easily.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I always clean and lube it before going to the range. Can’t think of a reason not to honestly. I would rather have peace of mind knowing it’s lubed how I want than worry it doesn’t have any or minimal lubricant on spots I want. Besides, you get to tinker with a new gun, that’s one of the best parts of buying a new firearm.

Welcome to INGO.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Well, as a newb (13 months) it never occured to me that a manufacturer would sell a gun that wasn't ready to shoot.
    I have since read where that can be hazardous based on the type of input you are getting here.
    I have bought only 4 new guns:
    Ruger GP100 .22
    SW MP Compact 22
    Bersa Thunder 22
    SW MP Shield 22

I went to the range and shot them.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always cleaned and lubed new firearms. The only real exception was with Glocks and that was because of the copper paste that they put in them. It seemed to me that the presence of the copper paste was an indication of them expecting the guns to be shot right out of the box. But, even in those cases, I tend to error on the side of safety and and do a bit of lube before shooting even if the paste is left in place.

For many guns, the oil they ship in is not really a lube as much as it is a preservative oil. Dan Wesson's and CZs tend to come with a massive amount of oil dripping from them and on those guns, I clean and then relube them as needed.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    My profound apologies if you found that, somehow, offensive.

My apologies to you. I did not find your comment offensive at all....sorry if I came across that way.

I agree with you that we should not "have" to.

When I buy new underwear, my wife always asks me if I want to wash them first. I should not "have" to....and with that example, I don't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My apologies to you. I did not find your comment offensive at all....sorry if I came across that way.

I agree with you that we should not "have" to.

When I buy new underwear, my wife always asks me if I want to wash them first. I should not "have" to....and with that example, I don't.

My spouse never asks. They get washed. Period.
    I might wear the pants around here but she buys and maintains them.....:):

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I look forward to taking my new goodies apart and getting a feel for them. I tend to be even happier when I put them back together with some lube of my choosing and enjoying how smooth everything becomes. My son gives me strange looks when I hand him a freshly cleaned/lubed new pistol, tell him to work the slide and enjoy the sensation, but he still does it. He's either placating me or starting to feel the difference, I'm not sure. :):

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's rare that I buy something brand new. But if I do, it gets field stripped, cleaned, and lubricated. Note that I didn't say "re-lubricated".

For you Glock buyers/owners/shooters: That copper-colored stuff in the slide rails? That's not an operational lubricant. It's an anti-seize product. I've read where just leave it in place - and I've also read to remove it. I figure that if it's in there, then real lubricant isn't in those spots. Personally, I'd rather have lubricant in those spots.

If I buy a used gun, no matter the gun, I'll break it down, clean, and lubricate as I deem prudent. Unless I buy a gun from a trusted source and know the person's regimen.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glock recommends that the copper anti seize stay in place initially. I just picked up a new Gen5 Glock, did not clean it but did add some light oil prior to the first range trip. I will drive it a bit before cleaning.

Some manufacturers like Wilson Combat recommend 300-500 rounds right out of the bag before cleaning. The grit helps the parts fit together supposedly.

Every gun is different. Some are packed with a heavy grease to prevent rust during its ocean potage and need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to firing.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This. You shouldn't "HAVE" to do it.....but why risk it?

I've found pretty large burrs and machining junk (metal dust and slivers). I personally like to make sure that crap is cleaned out of the gun before cycling it and possibly doing damage to anything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen some weird stuff inside brand new guns. No, it should not have been in there. But is was. Would the gun have ran....probably. Did I possibly catch something and prevent an issue....possibly.

Pull it down. Look around. Clean and lube it up. Take 15 minutes. Or don't.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Well, as a newb (13 months) it never occured to me that a manufacturer would sell a gun that wasn't ready to shoot.
    I have since read where that can be hazardous based on the type of input you are getting here.
    I have bought only 4 new guns:
    Ruger GP100 .22
    SW MP Compact 22
    Bersa Thunder 22
    SW MP Shield 22

I went to the range and shot them.

What's the chance QC missed something hazardous?

very unlikely to be hazardous unless you're buying eastern bloc surplus packed in cosmoline. That stuff can lead to slam fires, no-fires, obstructed barrels, possibly full auto, and so on. most stuff sold new is intended to leave the factory capable of shooting safely, even if less than ideally, or they'd be up to their armpits in lawsuits for selling an unsafe product.

When it really comes down to it, READ THE MANUAL. The mfr knows how the gun was supposed to leave their possession and will tell you what they want you to do.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Glock recommends that the copper anti seize stay in place initially. I just picked up a new Gen5 Glock, did not clean it but did add some light oil prior to the first range trip. I will drive it a bit before cleaning.

Some manufacturers like Wilson Combat recommend 300-500 rounds right out of the bag before cleaning. The grit helps the parts fit together supposedly.

Every gun is different. Some are packed with a heavy grease to prevent rust during its ocean potage and need to be thoroughly cleaned prior to firing.

I believe the glock manual has changed and now suggest cleaning before shooting. I may be wrong and thinking of another brand, but thought I recalled seeing that in the gen 5 manual.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I believe the glock manual has changed and now suggest cleaning before shooting. I may be wrong and thinking of another brand, but thought I recalled seeing that in the gen 5 manual.

I can not comment on the manual. I assume that is one of those paper items taking up room in the already small, black case? I am simply passing on what I was told be a representative from Glock. Leave the copper anti seize in place until it wears off. Like I said I checked the gun and gave it a dab of Hoppes oil but did not “clean” it. The old Hoppees in the orange bottle and remoil are both very thin.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Anyone that's ever bought a CZ 1911A1 fresh out of the box knows all about shipping preservative. When they built those at DW for CZ, the dipped them into a bucket of preservative. Then they wrapped the guns in wax paper and squirted more preservative oil on top. Then, before shipping, they dipped the whole pistol case in oil and held it under until the air bubbles stopped. Right before it left the factory, they squirted the shipping container with a bunch of oil and if you fill the warranty card out, they'll send someone to your house to give it one last squirt of preservative oil.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    As with many of the others on here....... I usually field strip, clean, and lube as needed.
    Some guns need oil, some need very light oil, and some need oil and grease.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I don't clean a new gun (I've not bought a new gun that was dirty) and even with new to me (used) I don't really clean them unless they have just really been neglected.
    All I do is slap some fresh lube on them and go shoot them. Then if I shoot them a lot I'll clean it. I'm not opposed to cleaning but I think a lot of the time it's not needed and comes down to personal preference. My only issue could maybe be over lubing a new gun. Very rarely does it seem to me a gun won't work because it's dirty but rather lack of lube, at least to start.

Top Bottom