• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I know at first the "Future Location of the Sherrif's Office" was talking about having a public shooting range. Has anybody heard anything about it since? I know it has been a couple years and its still doesn't seem to be anywhere near finished

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    A friend on the Sheriff's Reserve told me the Range will be open to the public. When, he does not know. The Range is at the corner of Paulding and Adams Ctr Rd's. The Department has been using it for a couple years.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That would be nice, seeing how it's 2 minutes from my house. Sure beats the 30 minute commute to Roush. One could only hope.

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    yeah I was told that it was going to be open to the pubic, then it wasn't going to or something. and Yeah that is about 10 minutes from my house. I'm off Reed and State.

T-DOGG I'm sure you heard about the robbery at Shooters Guns then Huh? along with all the other robberies going on around town.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I sure hope it opens soon. I'm up on Tillman so maybe 5 min away. Anyone know the longest distance you can shoot there? Hillside Shooting Sports is too far away, but necessary to shoot any kind of distance.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    yeah I was told that it was going to be open to the pubic, then it wasn't going to or something. and Yeah that is about 10 minutes from my house. I'm off Reed and State.

T-DOGG I'm sure you heard about the robbery at Shooters Guns then Huh? along with all the other robberies going on around town.

Yeah I know all about it. I went in to see the owner a few days after it happened and bought a gun from him to show my support. I also met the customer who was beaten too. Poor guy looked like hell. Here's the link to that discussion: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/245989-gun_shop_robbery_shooting_in_new_haven.html

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm taking my mom to go shooting next week sometime. Depending on the weather we may end up going to Freedom's indoor range. I bought her a Bersa .380 for home defense. She hasn't been shooting in like 15 years or so. My neighborhood has really went to crap and with my dad passing away I really worry about her safety. There's been way too many robberies and home invasions. It took some persuasion from me to warm her up to having her own gun, but she eventually saw my side of things and understood. On the plus side I get to spend some time with my mom for a change.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I'm taking my mom to go shooting next week sometime. Depending on the weather we may end up going to Freedom's indoor range. I bought her a Bersa .380 for home defense. She hasn't been shooting in like 15 years or so. My neighborhood has really went to crap and with my dad passing away I really worry about her safety. There's been way too many robberies and home invasions. It took some persuasion from me to warm her up to having her own gun, but she eventually saw my side of things and understood. On the plus side I get to spend some time with my mom for a change.
    Now that's some really good Mother, Son bonding time right there. :yesway:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    On behalf of our community I have sent the following email to the ACSD. I hope we get a response back soon.

This is the email I sent:

Allen County Sheriffs Department
    ref: Adams Center Road Training Facility

My name is Travis Smith and would like to inquire about the training facility on Adams Center Road. I am an active member of a very large online Firearms community, ingunowners.com, that is interested in the training facility being open to the public, specifically the shooting range. Originally your department stated that the facility would in fact be open to the public, does this still hold true? We would like to hear any updates as to when this may happen. The reason behind this email is that many local residents are having to drive upwards of thirty minutes or more to practice using their firearms in a legal, safe, and controlled environment. It would be a huge asset to the community to have such a shooting range available right here in town. As you well know robberies along with homicides are an everyday occurrence in Allen County and the amount of citizens procuring a License To Carry Handgun is drastically on the rise. We, as law abiding members of the community, would greatly appreciate a local range to safely practice with our firearms. This ability to practice will greatly increase our chances of better defending ourselves against dangerous criminals threatening our very existence. Thank you for your time. We would appreciate a prompt response from your department.

Travis Smith
    Fort Wayne Resident

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yeah I know all about it. I went in to see the owner a few days after it happened and bought a gun from him to show my support. I also met the customer who was beaten too. Poor guy looked like hell. Here's the link to that discussion: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...9-gun_shop_robbery_shooting_in_new_haven.html

T-DOGG...a lot of people have woken up as a result of the incident at Shooter's! I'm sure Jerry appreciate's the support! Nice of you to take your mom out and teach her as well...it shows you care! My dad has gotten out his .45 after having it packed away for a looooooooooooooooong time!!!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    On behalf of our community I have sent the following email to the ACSD. I hope we get a response back soon.

This is the email I sent:

Allen County Sheriffs Department
    ref: Adams Center Road Training Facility

My name is Travis Smith and would like to inquire about the training facility on Adams Center Road. I am an active member of a very large online Firearms community, ingunowners.com, that is interested in the training facility being open to the public, specifically the shooting range. Originally your department stated that the facility would in fact be open to the public, does this still hold true? We would like to hear any updates as to when this may happen. The reason behind this email is that many local residents are having to drive upwards of thirty minutes or more to practice using their firearms in a legal, safe, and controlled environment. It would be a huge asset to the community to have such a shooting range available right here in town. As you well know robberies along with homicides are an everyday occurrence in Allen County and the amount of citizens procuring a License To Carry Handgun is drastically on the rise. We, as law abiding members of the community, would greatly appreciate a local range to safely practice with our firearms. This ability to practice will greatly increase our chances of better defending ourselves against dangerous criminals threatening our very existence. Thank you for your time. We would appreciate a prompt response from your department.

Travis Smith
    Fort Wayne Resident

Thanks for the inquiry...we never know until we ask!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Since the range opened for LEO use, there have been a couple of reports of rounds leaving the range. As you know, that is why the old range on Lima Road was shutdown.

I seriously doubt that the Sheriff will allow the general public to come out and just use his range. But I think you asking for an answer is a good thing. Many folks have asked the same question without a good response.

Even the Allen County Practical Defense League has been unable to secure one Saturday a month for Practical Pistol on the new range. The League was always welcome at the old range and the Sheriff and his wife still attend the January, ACPDL Awards Banquet.

For those that don't know, the ACPDL has been around since Clint Smith helped form it in the 1970's before he went on to fame and fortune in the firearms trainer business.

Top Bottom