• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    Hey guys just found this forum tonight and it's nice to be able to talk to people close to me I'm in central Indiana. Any ways I want to buy my first 1911 I have been researching all the brands out there. I thought I wanted a sig traditional model but I figured I would look at colt since they are the originals and really like the rail gun in two tone. For as much money as I'm going to spend on one of these 1911s I want a tack driver with match barrel the works and I want something reliable I don't wanna doubt it at all. So what do you think? Which would you go with or what else would you guys recommend? I realize I'm not buying a custom gun but for around the 1000 dollar mark I want the best I can get.

f'nstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    I'm a Springfield guy myself. You could get a loaded Springfield in your price range, and the customer service is seond to none in my opinion. Others will chime in this is just my:twocents:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Welcome to INGO! :yesway:

I'm sure you've already been there, but check out the 1911 Show and Tell thread over in Handguns...lots of nice pics, descriptions, and 1911 talk there.

At your price point you have plenty of choices. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 1911 offerings from the major makers. Heck, you can even spend, say, $700-800 and find yourself a 1911 with the features you want AND complete the package with a holster, extra mags, and ammo. It's a great time to be a 1911 fan!

As for myself, my first handgun was a Colt 1991A1 in the brushed stainless finish. I made all of my "mistakes" learning how to take down and re-assemble that Colt (I put a real nice idiot scratch on it learning how to properly install the slide stop, but so what; it's mine!) It's a great shooting, reliable 1911 and I'll always keep it.

My second 1911 is a parkerized Rock Island Compact. I got on the RIA bandwagon early and got a great price on it. It too has proven to be a great shooting, realiable 1911...so much so that it's one of my carry guns.

For my third 1911 :D I'm probably going to splurge and get myself a high dollar Government model, in blue since I don't have one yet...

Unless I cave and pick up one of those excellent $500-800 models! ;)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a railed Sig and I give it a thumbs up as a nice 1911. It's smooth and has functioned flawlessly.
    Also I would agree with a prior post that Springfield, Colt, Kimber and pretty much any major name brand, if you can find them in the price range would be good choices.

It might be easier to ask "which ones should I avoid" :)

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd stay away from Sig and Kimber. Sig because they are all Series 80 and they don't quite do the external extractor right. I've worked on Sig 1911s. What a PITA. Kimber because of the quality control issues.

Springfield and Colt are good as others have said. If you have the money, look into Wilson.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    Speaking from personal experience, I would definetly look into Springfield. I don't own one but I have heard good things about their new Range Officer Model. Match Grade barrel and target sights. It would be a great platform to start with, especially for under $800. Just my :twocents:.

Footfighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Muncie, IN
    Welcome to Ingo man!

I actually bought my first 1911 Springfield loaded just a month ago and it is a great gun. I don't have much experience with other 1911's since this was my first but I love it. Shoots great and has great accuracy. I paid to have it shipped to my gun dealer here in Muncie and it was just a total of $900.00.
    What ever you pick I'm sure you will be glad with your purchase, you just can't really beat a 1911.

oucme69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    indianapolis
    I got my first 1911 a few months ago and got the spring field loaded and I love it my step dad has a kimber pro carry 2 I love shooting them both

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I have a Springfield lighweight and a Sig Scorpion. Paid in the neighborhood for $850 for both. Very happy with both. The Sig is a little heavy but I don't carry it. I had a Springer loaded parkerized and on a whim sold it. Realized my mistake that led me to the lightweight Springfield.

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    I own a few Kimbers, Springfields and have had past experience with a few Colts. In my opion, all are good guns. While I defintely have my favorites, I don't think you can go wrong with a Springfield. The Range Officer is great gun under a grand, look for one with NM by the serial (National Match). If you want to dump a bit more money, the TRP is one of my favorites (Tactical Response Pistol). My dad is a dealer and just purchased a couple of RIAs for personal use because they were very inexpensive, initial impression is that they are good shooting guns and he's pleased with the purchase. Good luck, there's a lot to choose from when looking at the 1911 platform.

Top Bottom