• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    Next year there will be a box to check if you are a direct descendant of Adam and Eve, or from an Ape? I have always wanted to check the box, Native American, after all I was born in this country, why not. Just more dumb questions made up by dumb politicians.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I went on a whole debate with someone about this and how stupid the race selection on any form is stupid. It doesn't help ID certain people and really being "Asian" is not a race, neither is black or white

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I was told by someone that Mexicans hate being called Hispanic or Latino. That Mexicans are from Mexico, Latino's are from Latin America, and Hispanics are Spain. In terms of their heritage.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was told by someone that Mexicans hate being called Hispanic or Latino. That Mexicans are from Mexico, Latino's are from Latin America, and Hispanics are Spain. In terms of their heritage.

True, do NOT call a Latino a Mexican! Those are fighting words to them. Of course, if you confuse a Puerto Rican with a Cuban all hell will break loose as well.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Parially correct.

Hispanic is a made up "USA" word that 1st generation spanish speaking people do not care for or use. Note the word "His" "Panic" in hispanic. As in the WHITE MAN's panic (ie. white man = .gov worker who came up with this term) that people of spanish tounge are coming to the USA in big numbers.

Latinos is another "USA" made work to group everyone that speaks spanish in the americas. It's not as bad as Hispanic but also not used much OUTSIDE the USA.

People from Mexico = Mexicans
    People from Spain (the motherland of all spanish speaking people in the americas) = Spaniards
    People from central & some parts of south america who speak spanish = latinos per USA terms but if you go to any of the countries sourth of Mexico they don't use this term.

Peru = Peruzians
    Chile = Chilenos
    etc..

The people id themselevs with their country not the lanaguage they speak.

This whole concept falls apart on 2nd and 3rd generation spanish speaking people born in the US to 1st generation immigrants.

by 3rd generation most have been "americanize" and use the hispanic/latino terms on themseleves and others without an issue.
    they don't understand the histroy behind the terms.

Tauler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011

Yeah, well, I don't like being referred to as "Caucasian" (which is technically inaccurate, every bit as much as what is discussed involving Mexicans/Spaniards/etc), when I'm German/Irish/English (which Caucasian does not encompass), but thems the breaks sometimes, who cares ultimately, terms to box people up, whatever, that's people, that's life.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    This is probably a stupid assumption, but I thought "Latino" refered to the language structure
    of American style spanish. Latin-America is where this form of Spanish is spoken...

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    This is probably a stupid assumption, but I thought "Latino" refered to the language structure
    of American style spanish. Latin-America is where this form of Spanish is spoken...

Latino is an American term for anyone south of the American border. It can refer to indigenous peoples, brazilians and descendants of slaves. Hispanics are people of Spanish descent.

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    It seems like these questions are on every form you fill out anymore. Am i the only one who answers them randomly? My mother was adopted and never knew her birth parents or her true background, so any answer i give is technically a guess. So i like to have fun with it!

Besides, the way i see it, it's really nobody's business.

Top Bottom