New hot weather boot; 5.11 XPRT or TR Kiowa?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    After a blisteringly hot weekend of camping in my old Navy issue Hot Weather boots :tumbleweed:, I realized it would behoove me to invest :spend: in some of these newfangled light weight boots that seem to be everywhere. LA Police Gear has some good deals boots and I have come down to trying to decide between these two pairs of boots:
    The 5.11 XPRT 8" Patrol in Coyote
    12204.gif

and the Tactical Research (Belleville) Kiowa in Multicam
    kiowa_mc.jpg

They each have their advantages, 5.11 has the kick toe, plain Coyote will attract less attention, knife pocket on upper, sand/water vents, while the Kiowa area bit lighter than the 5.11's (5.11 are still 1lb lighter than my Bates), quieter out sole, darker suede to stain less, and just plain look bad ass with Multicam nylon :pimp:.
    I don't know of any store in IN that stocks either of these types of boots, so can't really try them on, so to the Interwebs I go. If anyone has any experience with either of these boots or their manufactures, please lend me some advice.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    I know that US Uniform and Supply in Indy stocks 5.11 boots if you need to try them on

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    If the 5.11 desert boot is built anything like their black patrol boot, they do not last.

I received a pair of the boots as replacements from 5.11 after I had three pairs of their HRTs fail. The eyelets on the XPRT boots I received started breaking within a month and I now have 4 or 5 eyelets on each boot broke after a year. Once the plastic eyelets break the laces rely on the thin pla-leather to support the laces. They can not be resoled and soles wear quickly.

The boots are comfortable and feel broke in the first time you wear them. The waterproofing they use works well and they breath well. If you can get them cheap and don't expect a lot of life from them, go for it.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    @1546 thanks, I will check them out next time I'm in Indy.
    @MK18, how much did you wear them, as I only expect to wear them for 2-3 days a week 5 hours at a time, except for camping / training cycles.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    @1546 thanks, I will check them out next time I'm in Indy.
    @MK18, how much did you wear them, as I only expect to wear them for 2-3 days a week 5 hours at a time, except for camping / training cycles.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I can't speak for the Kiowa, but if the 5.11 wear as fast as it sounds, for the money I would pick up these. I wore them on concrete floor and bar grating 12hrs a day, 16 days a month for about of year at work before I retired them to my personal stock. They still have tread, and the side zip is the best.... they were still pretty comfy, with some life left in the cushioning.
    Men's Converse Waterproof Size - Zip Desert Tactical Boots, Desert Tan, Men's Footwear, Converse at Sportsman's Guide

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I really dig the oakley desert boots. I'm used to wearing the big heavy danners, but when i switched to these, i haven't had a back problem in months.

B_si_boot_desert.jpg
    If you're military or LEO you can get them at a discount from usstanardissue.com

junglerogue

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    SAV, ELP, DFW, SBN,
    For what I can only attribute to tread design, all the Oakley's I've had all squeak when the sole is wet. Don't know if that makes a difference to you, just an fyi. Other than that they're real comfy.

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I will consider the Converse, although I am not crazy about the side zip, and the Oakley's are a bit out of my price range, but I am heading to Indy tomorrow and hopefully they will have some XPRT's there to try on. Anyone tried any boots from the Tactical Research line?

Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    Have you contacted 5.11 about the eyelets, I e-mailed them and they said if that happens they will send me a replacement from the later batch that doesn't have the eyelet problem. BTW, did the eyelets break while tying them, or while wearing them?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have heard really good things about the kiowas and if I didn't have a pair of boots already I would pick those up. that said spend a little more and pick up a pair of LOWA desert zephyr boots. I have the gore-tex version. they are more comfortable than my athletic shoes and have zero break in time. on hard surfaces they are 100% silent(which is good for scaring your wife)

LOWA Boots USA / Show Zephyr Desert GTX® Boot

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Have you contacted 5.11 about the eyelets, I e-mailed them and they said if that happens they will send me a replacement from the later batch that doesn't have the eyelet problem. BTW, did the eyelets break while tying them, or while wearing them?

The breakage occurred during wear. I have not contacted them as I was waiting to get a different pair of boots. 5.11 requires that the boots be sent to them before they will replace them and it typically takes 2 weeks to receive your replacement boots.

I have retired my 5.11s to training boots and now wear Matterhorns for work.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I have heard really good things about the kiowas and if I didn't have a pair of boots already I would pick those up. that said spend a little more and pick up a pair of LOWA desert zephyr boots. I have the gore-tex version. they are more comfortable than my athletic shoes and have zero break in time. on hard surfaces they are 100% silent(which is good for scaring your wife)

LOWA Boots USA / Show Zephyr Desert GTX® Boot

I've been looking at these. Do you feel they are very hot to wear in summer? I have a pair of Keen boots with eVent; for winter they're great. Not so much in the summer. The Keen boots did not break-in and wear like I thought they would, which is why I'm looking for some different ones.

Thanks.

cowboy23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    lafayette
    i would just go to camp auterbury n go to the blackhawk store n get a pair of those all my buddies got them when we were in iraq. i would stay away from the converse boots junk. i had a pair n they were junk within 3 months

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i would just go to camp auterbury n go to the blackhawk store n get a pair of those all my buddies got them when we were in iraq. i would stay away from the converse boots junk. i had a pair n they were junk within 3 months
    I just got a flyer from Blackhawk, and some of their side zip boots are like 50% off.... just an fyi

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I would also check out the Air-Tac brand. I buy mine from Galls. The only thing is, that they are black leather only. They where my duty boots, while in the Coast Guard. Now they are my winter boots. They are light, comfortable, and can take a serious beating. They are also steal toed, are zippered, and have air soles. They have three different heights. I think it's 9", 8" and 6" if I'm not mistaken.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I've been looking at these. Do you feel they are very hot to wear in summer? I have a pair of Keen boots with eVent; for winter they're great. Not so much in the summer. The Keen boots did not break-in and wear like I thought they would, which is why I'm looking for some different ones.

Thanks.

the gore-tex will make it breath less but for me the waterproofness is worth it. they also make the same ones without gore-tex. I have a friend with those and he hiked 75 miles in africa with no complaints. these have zero break in time, and fit like a glove from the get go.

Top Bottom