• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Just found out this week I have a new place to hunt deer. About 60 acres Problem I have is I have never been on this property, any advice on best way to hunt a unknown area. I really don't want to go and walk through the woods at this point and scare any deer out so I am really at a a loss

RandallX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2012
    hamilton county
    find a topographical map of the area. go to different spots on the exterior of the property and find good vantage points that you can see a good distance, either a hill or a tall tree. make sure you have a nice set of binos and compare what you see to the map. you can also take this time to set up probable stand locations based on what you observe and what the map reflects.hope this sheds some light on the issue.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Are you hunting early archery or gun? The nice thing about hunting early is the deer really don't change their pattern much from their food source to their bedding area.

Find the food source, locate said trail and get between the bedding area and the food source.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Once the rut comes in the game totally changes. Anything that you learn this week is almost useless come first week of Nov. Find the trails, creeks, streams and you will see deer when it comes hunting season. Find the narrow choke points that join cover. The thick stuff is where they are at night. Catch them on there way to that an hour before sundown. Game totalls changes when there has been a full moon out that allows the deer to eat til they are blue in the face at night...all night long.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I have always done the google earth or bing maps and made my best guess. Took a climber and made it a bow hunting/scouting hunt. Did more glassing than anything always looking for a better set up.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    tooleman, I'm FORTUNATE to be in the same situation. 40 acres of land just opened up for me; other than potential trespassers, I'll be the only one hunting this property this season. About 15 acres farmed up front with soybean & some corn (most harvested now) and about 25 acres wooded.

Haven't been able to scout the land other than one quiet afternoon trip in & out of one section. Moved about sloth-slow. Saw a few good trails (red) in between swampy areas (black) with fresh scat, two fresh rubs and two scrapes. Pretty promising. Went back in for an hour during lunch break to set up a natural ground blind (orange) 10-25+ yds from the trails for early bow & a place to stay hidden to observe the goings on.

Good luck to you!
    newland2.jpg

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Once the rut comes in the game totally changes. Anything that you learn this week is almost useless come first week of Nov. Find the trails, creeks, streams and you will see deer when it comes hunting season. Find the narrow choke points that join cover. The thick stuff is where they are at night. Catch them on there way to that an hour before sundown. Game totalls changes when there has been a full moon out that allows the deer to eat til they are blue in the face at night...all night long.

^THIS. Also, find the does and the bucks will be there eventually. If you are hunting gun season only, you could still get in one scouting trip without screwing it up, if you are careful with your scent.

tooleman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I hope to be able to hunt both bow and firearms with that new package. I will probably go with a hybrid method of togo maps and google earth. I did think that using a climber and possible my iPhone try to use it as a gps and map out some areas.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    dont worry about scaring them out. walk through the place until you see the one you want jump up. look for a stand site and leave. he will be back. works every time.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Topo map google earth maybe slip in some scout cams all that high tech helps, but if it is a new place just ask the guys showing up to hunt it on opening day where they usually kill the dear :)

Top Bottom