Not open for further replies.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Good morning and hello all!

My fiance and I just relocated to IN from PA, purchased some property in Ossian, and are starting a new chapter of our lives here.

I'm brand new to this area, this state, and even this forum. Are there any "must do" activities or sights to see in the state? I'm excited to learn more!

Thank you everyone in advance!

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Good Morning & Welcome from "Down South"
    All Kinds of Fun things to do in the Hoosier State.
    JMO: Prob should put the Indy 500 toward the Top of your list.(as long as you don't mind Crowds & even if you go only Once)
    The "Greatest Spectacle in Motor Racing"
    Might try to take in a FB Game in South Bend, if that's your thing.
    The Colts pretty much Suck, so I'd Save my $ for them. Again-JMO
    As far as Places to Shoot in your area, I'll leave that in the Capable hands of other INGO'rs up your way.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Depends what you are interested in....
    There are spa's like west Baden Springs.
    Tourist spots...Madison, on the Ohio.
    Re-enactments, like Misisinawa 1812
    The Dunes on Lake Michigan
    The sand hill cranes migration
    Mounds state park
    Flea Mkts, in Shipshewana and Brookville
    Portland hosts a gas engine/antique show as well as a military vehicle show.
    One of my favorites is the Black Powder shoot hosted by the NMLRA in Friendship
    Get a copy of the Indiana festival guide

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Welcome from NWI. Well wishes to you and your fiancé for a happy prosperous new chapter and congratulations for choosing to set down roots here in the great Hoosier State. Glad to have you both.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Welcome. Shipshewana is the official Amish tourist mecca. There are nice hotels, if you want to stay up there. Some great places to eat in that area also. Buggy rides, baked goods, bulk food store... just a lot to do. On flea market days during the summer, if you drive out in the country a lot of the Amish have stuff for sale, to try to get money from the tourists.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Thank you everyone for the hospitality and suggestions!

We came from the southeast side of Pennsylvania (Lancaster County) so we are used to a lot of the Amish attractions. Apparently I hadn't done enough research and didn't expect to see the Amish out here. We stayed about the first month in an apartment in the Woodburn area and saw them almost daily.

The great lakes are absolutely on our list, as is visiting Indianapolis as a whole. I'm not particularly fond of living in the city, but it's nice to visit every once and a while!

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    Haven’t had a chance to read through everyone else’s responses but finding some events at the IMS is a must. On top of that I love hiking Turkey Run, especially when it’s cold and the water features freeze (frozen waterfalls and rock formations everywhere). Enjoy tailgating up at Notre Dame, explore Bloomington and Brown County area (food, arts, hiking, etc). Downtown Indy has some impressive museums and exhibits.

Now if you want to talk go to restaurants, let me know. I travel for work and there’s tons of hidden gems around IN

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom