• Status
    Not open for further replies.

UglyAmerican

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Fishers
    So I would be able to deny police services to anyone that was of a religion I don't practice, support, or agree with? Would police departments be broken down into religious sub-sets instead of districts in order to provide services to the community they cover? Will dispatchers ask for religious affiliation when taking calls for service so that they send the "proper" officer?
    Police departments are public entities, not private ones. Public entities are obligated not to pick and choose whom they serve within their jurisdictions, especially since they're typically the only game in town for whatever service they provide. Private businesses should be allowed to serve whomever they damn well please, but they also shouldn't be allowed to engage in cartel behavior.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I think everyone should be able to come onto my property and sing kumbaya at any time. After all, I receive tax breaks from the government.

If your "property" is operated as a business that offers services for people to come onto your property and sing kumbaya, and you have received tax breaks for such, then yes....

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If your "property" is operated as a business that offers services for people to come onto your property and sing kumbaya, and you have received tax breaks for such, then yes....

I run a business out of my home. So I should be forced to allow anyone on my property? No thanks.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I run a business out of my home. So I should be forced to allow anyone on my property? No thanks.

If your business is such as that the public must come to your house to do business with you, and you receive tax breaks for such business, then yes, or don't take the tax breaks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    (Devil's advocate here) I have issue that this ONLY addresses sexual orientation. If the bill authors want to free business, free them from ALL discrimination. Why not allow them to refuse service to ethnic groups, genders, religious affiliations, etc? That would be real freedom. I sense pandering on a hot topic.

That's pretty short sighted. See post #2. Besides, it's a common refrain that we can't legislate morality anyway. So why not let private property owners alone and let the markets pick the winners and losers rather than the .gov?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    If your business is such as that the public must come to your house to do business with you, and you receive tax breaks for such business, then yes, or don't take the tax breaks.

So all I have to do is not accept the $100 tax break and I can tell you to leave? Yes!!! Freedom!!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lets get a bit more conventional. I'm a Protestant. So is my opposite sex fiancee'. We both think the local Catholic cathedral is da bomb. Its GORGEOUS.

So does that mean we should be able force the Catholic priest to perform a Methodist service in their church even though they do not agree with our beliefs? After all it is a "public" place.

Food for thought...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That is correct... as long as your business is such as that the public must come to your house to do business with you.

That's pretty darned subjective. What if I subscribe to cable/internet service whose infrastructure was subsidized by some level of government? What if my driveway attaches to a public road?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So I would be able to deny police services to anyone that was of a religion I don't practice, support, or agree with? Would police departments be broken down into religious sub-sets instead of districts in order to provide services to the community they cover? Will dispatchers ask for religious affiliation when taking calls for service so that they send the "proper" officer?

You, as a public servant, should be allowed as much discretion as any other public servant when it comes to picking and choosing with whom you'll discharge your duty(ies). Let your conscience be your guide; stand up for what you believe in; and be willing to accept the consequences.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If anyone can illustrate to me how this thread is not in direct violation of Rule 5 (via PM) I will consider reopening it.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom