• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    This is posted to remind us what can happen if the constant vigil is dropped. I'm sure this is all "common sense"!

Friend of mine recently moved there and applied for a permit so he can keep his guns and use them at the range.
    Was going to scan the page but it contained too much personal information.

Below is what appeared on official "Winslow Township Police Dept" letterhead: (seems to be from the '50's, seriously who uses "drunkard"?)

Here is the list of Questions:
    1. How long have you known applicant?
    2. Marital status of applicant?
    3. Present address of applicant?
    4. Place of employment of applicant?
    5. To your knowledge, did the applicant have a permit before?
    6. Is there any reason, to your knowledge, why they should be denied a permit?
    7. What is the reason for the applicant obtaining a permit to purchase firearm?
    8. Character of applicant?
    9. Does the applicant have a criminal record?
    10. Are you willing to be a character reference for this person to own, possess and / or have custody and control of a firearm?
    11. Does the applicant suffer from any physical defect of sickness that would make it unsafe for them to handle a firearm?
    12. Is the applicant addicted to narcotics, auger of pep pills, etc?
    13. To your knowledge, has the applicant ever been confined to a mental hospital, institution, or sanitarium?
    14. Is the applicant a drunkard?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sounds Orwellean (spl) to me.

1950's? Not hardly.
    Indiana didn't even start requiring a license to carry until the 1970's I believe.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I know a guy's got to do what they gotta do...but at my stage in my career, it would have to be a pretty serious pay raise to get me to move to NJ, NY, MA, etc. (and their gun laws is just an example of why).

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The only sure fire way to get a NJ permit is if it is required for a job and you pass everything they throw at you. Or if you know a judge high up, since the licensing authority is the mid-level NJ courts.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So who fills this out, and who makes the final decision? The questions seem to be directed towards a personal friend of the applicant.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    "Drunkard" is a known, legal term that has been defined in a court of law with references to back the definition. This is why it is used. Had they said alcoholic or other terms they would be opened to things like a reformed alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in 30 years which would have to be disclosed and then appealed.

A Drunkard is one who has a current drinking problem.

I must agree though, there is a lot of stuff there and this is just for you as a reference. The actual application must ask some real whoppers.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    So who fills this out, and who makes the final decision? The questions seem to be directed towards a personal friend of the applicant.

People that live in NJ that has known the applicant for a period of time, I think 5 years. At least 2 references are needed that aren't family members. The final decision is made by a NJ superior court judge.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    This is posted to remind us what can happen if the constant vigil is dropped. I'm sure this is all "common sense"!

Friend of mine recently moved there and applied for a permit so he can keep his guns and use them at the range.
    Was going to scan the page but it contained too much personal information.

Below is what appeared on official "Winslow Township Police Dept" letterhead: (seems to be from the '50's, seriously who uses "drunkard"?)

Here is the list of Questions:
    1. How long have you known applicant?
    2. Marital status of applicant?
    3. Present address of applicant?
    4. Place of employment of applicant?
    5. To your knowledge, did the applicant have a permit before?
    6. Is there any reason, to your knowledge, why they should be denied a permit?
    7. What is the reason for the applicant obtaining a permit to purchase firearm?
    8. Character of applicant?
    9. Does the applicant have a criminal record?
    10. Are you willing to be a character reference for this person to own, possess and / or have custody and control of a firearm?
    11. Does the applicant suffer from any physical defect of sickness that would make it unsafe for them to handle a firearm?
    12. Is the applicant addicted to narcotics, auger of pep pills, etc?
    13. To your knowledge, has the applicant ever been confined to a mental hospital, institution, or sanitarium?
    14. Is the applicant a drunkard?

About a year ago, my employer had me in NJ for several weeks, and one weekend I decided to find a range, and maybe do a little shooting. I found a range that also had a huge handgun display case, and seeing a couple of used guns I had an interest in, ask to see them. To my surprise, the sales clerk ask to see my "Firearms Purchaser Identification Card" to which I said I was from out of state, and just wanted to look at the gun. You would have thought I had just told the guy I was holding up the place, his eyes got big, and he told me in no uncertain terms, that it was illegal for him to allow me to even touch a gun with out having a valid FPID card. When I mentioned the reason I was there was to see about renting a gun to shoot on their range, he said that was entirely out of the question without the FPID card.

New Jersey State Police - FAQ's - Frequently Asked Questions

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    [Don't feel bad, around 1980 I got the same treatment asking to see a pellet rifle in a NJ shop, illegal without a FOID.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Who fills this out? I do.

Buddy moved out there to be with fiancé/get married. Delaware and Pennsylvania are close and will likely move to one of those states after his intended's children are thru with their New Jersey subsidized college.

He isn't applying for a CARRY permit, only a "Right to Purchase" permit. so he can legally bring his guns to NJ and use them at the range.

For question 7: "What is the reason for the applicant obtaining a permit for purchasing firearm?"
    I was tempted to answer: WTF? The better question would be why he would need to apply at all? Second amendment much?

Also wanted to mention: We live in "flyover" country. You know the area that you buzz thru on your way to Chicago or other major hell holes. The kind of place where if your vehicle breaks down, we would actually help you and get you on your way, rather than rob and pillage you."

But I refrained. Kept on point.

It is just pathetic.

Top Bottom