• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    I am a new Kimber owner (ultra raptor ll). Took the weapon as a partial trade for something else. This is my first .45 caliber handgun, own several Glock 9mm's, very familiar with them. Bought several hundred 230 gr. FMJ rounds to practice with and Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. rounds for defense. Got a nice Don Hume holster and am soon to purchase a magazine carrier. Any insight into owing/firing/care of this weapon would be appreciated.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Congrats on the 1911. Kimbers are mighty fine pistols, I've got an Eclipse Target II. Like anything else just get comfortable with it. Main thing I would advise is to avoid the dummy scratch upon disassembly.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I am a new Kimber owner (ultra raptor ll). Took the weapon as a partial trade for something else. This is my first .45 caliber handgun, own several Glock 9mm's, very familiar with them. Bought several hundred 230 gr. FMJ rounds to practice with and Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. rounds for defense. Got a nice Don Hume holster and am soon to purchase a magazine carrier. Any insight into owing/firing/care of this weapon would be appreciated.

Take it down and clean it everywhere. Check the trigger track for burrs if you have a scratchy trigger pull. Kimbers tend to work better the more they are fired and love FMJ's. The only thing I hated on mine was the plastic MSH and changed it. Shoot away and clean it after each range trip.

*edit: If you get around JetGirl, be careful, she might try to add your Kimber to her collection.*

Last edited:

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Bmrdude, congrats. I have had an Ultra CDP II for about 2400 rounds now and really like it. However, I have found some hollow points are unwelcome in it! I have some Remington that my SIG C3 will eat all day, but the Kimber will not. I can only trust the Kimber with Federal Hydro Shok.

Once I figured that out, well let's just say that the Kimber is more accurate than I am and you'll find it at my side more than any other weapon I am blessed to own.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Bmrdude, congrats. I have had an Ultra CDP II for about 2400 rounds now and really like it. However, I have found some hollow points are unwelcome in it! I have some Remington that my SIG C3 will eat all day, but the Kimber will not. I can only trust the Kimber with Federal Hydro Shok.

Once I figured that out, well let's just say that the Kimber is more accurate than I am and you'll find it at my side more than any other weapon I am blessed to own.

Aluminum frame 1911 do not like HP's.

OP's is aluminum too if he doesn't already know it.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    Thx jet girl. The only Hp it won't eat is the Remington's and it doesn't care what magazine I use. It has no issues with the federals so i just use them.

brg1966

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Muncie
    I have a Kimber CDP II full size and love it. One thing I have found is that my Colt mags do not work in the Kimber. I have had several Colt mags and shooting ball nose target rounds I would get a jam. Upon closer inspection the Colt mag doesn't have the same feed ramp angle as the Kimber mags. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    As previously stated, find the ammo that it likes and use it. Wilson mags generally make any 1911 run a little smoother. The "ultra" size pistols can be a little picky. The short slide tends to magnify any timing issues but I've owned a couple in the past that ran very well.
    If you are in the Indy area and want to stop by USDS I'll be happy to meet you there and go over it with you.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer
    NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Alloy frame Para (I know, I know, somehow it's disqualified from being a 1911) has eaten everything I've fed it. I do want to try out some of those Lehigh maximum expansion ones.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The wife just picked up a Raptor Ultra II last year. We have both ran a few hundred through it and it has been flawless so far. I reload Berry's plated bullets round nose and have shot some speer gold dots without issue. Great little gun, but I don't get to shoot or carry it very often. Have been considering one of my own.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I got a new raptor 4 months ago. 300 rounds and it ran great. Then the problems started! Failure to go into battery. Failure to eject. Failure to feed. After several thousand rounds it seemed to smooth out. Now after 8,000 it seems to be great. Very tight chamber in mine cause a lot of problems. I have to load ammo on the short side or it will not fit. Shoot the **** out of it. Clean the **** out of it. Oil the **** out of it. Get rid of the series 80 fining pin saftey crap. That will help a ton.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Buy some Wilson Combat mags and enjoy. My Kimber's like the 47D in particular, but I'm looking forward to tying out some of the new HD/+P ETMs in them.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Fired a couple boxes of FMJ 230gr. through it this weekend. Much more recoil than the G26, 19 & 17 I've been shooting, but like it a lot. Picked up a nice Don Hume holster for it at the 1500 as well.

Top Bottom