• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestBAL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    What would be a good and durable pocket knife to get my man? I know nothing about knives and would appreciate any help. Thanks! :)

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    What's your budget, and what kind of guy is he? Hunter, mechanical, law enforcement, ninja, etc....

This.

We could recommend anything from a $30 to $40 Kershaw that will do well for cutting string and packing tape, and opening clamshell packages, or a Brian Tighe or William Henry custom that will cost a few thousand dollars and be the nicest folding knife he'll ever have in his hand, or a Zero Tolerance, Strider or Crusader Forge or Chris Reeve or a few other makers whose knives will cost a few hundred dollars but he could beat the **** out of them and they'll hold up.

INGO needs more information in order to properly process your request.

And welcome to INGO!

Last edited:

PriestBAL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Trying to keep it under $100... He keeps it in his pocket and uses it for EVERYTHING! Nothing too small nor too big (indescrete), but needs to be indestructible! He is a hunter too.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    "Indestructible" is going to generally cost a bit more than $100.

But the folding knives I've got experience with that were less than $100, that were good knives for the money, would be the Benchmade Griptilian, CRKT M16, Cold Steel Recon 1, Kershaw Shallot, and the Kershaw knockout. I've got a few other Kershaws as well, but they are either no longer made, like the Speed Bump and the Spec Bump, or a little less than "indestructible", like the Leek and the Chive. But any of these should hold up to the tasks *most* people would want a folding knife to do.

A friend of mine has a Spyderco Police that is a nice folder, too.

CRKT makes a wide variety of folding knives that will probably do well for the money.

I would personally be a happy guy if my wife gave me ANY of those knives.

When it comes to hunting, speaking just for me - I wouldn't use a folding knife for skinning or cleaning game or anything like that. Blood and tissues will inevitably get into the lock mechanism and be really hard to clean out. I would only EVER use a fixed blade for that.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I hate to say it but when you say indestructible I'm going to suggest you up your budget a couple 20 dollars and get him a zero tolerance 0350. IMO it's one of the best blades around.

they are made in the USA, come with a amazing warranty, not to big but big enough to handle most any chores, reversible pocket clip, s30v blade, g10 handle.

Brad's knives here can probably hook you up with a killer price on it. brad also stocks the benchmade griptillian linked above.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I agree with Grunt on the Zero Tolerance 0350. It is just above your $100 price range but is a heck of a knife for an extra $20 or so. If you must stay at $100 or below look for the Kershaw Blur in S30V under $100. The Spyderco Endura 4 is also another good option under $100.

ARdysfunction

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    Indy West Side
    Plus one on the Zero Tolerance 0350. I bought one for my brother (he is not a "knife guy") and he loves it.

If you have to keep it under $100 you might try the Spyderco Manix 2.
    Great knife for the money. I own knives that cost 5 times as much and I still like to cary it.

Ramiel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    East side of Indy
    The Kershaw Blur is such an easy recommendation.
    Go for the S30V version or the current run of CPM154 limited edition models (which may or may not be in stock anymore)
    Either way you can't go wrong with the Blur.

Top Bottom