Franklin Township

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    The tops does look pretty awesome.

Not that i am a knife guru, but have handled the benchmade and didnt like the way it felt. To me if you are going to use it for its intended purpose you dont want the blade to kick off the side easily and thats exactly what the benchmade felt like it would do.

Keep in mind, this is worth pretty close to what you paid for it, because i am far from a knife guy.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Tops

tops-grim-ripper-tpgr01.jpg

benchmade

benchmade-175bk-cbk-backup.jpg

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    yeah, I agree about the benchmade's grip, but some reviews I read said that it felt better than it looked. I'm leaning toward the tops.....I am open to other brands as well

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I suggested the TOPS because I am a fan of TOPS but either would be fine. Also please ignore the Blade HQ webiste I already know who he will buy from. :D

Last edited:

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Falls City Firearms had a used Benchmade. I LOVED THAT THING! It was a great push knife and fit my hand perfectly. It was #1 on my list of things to get but someone bought it before I could. :noway: But I would LOVE to have one.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    If I liked the grip equally, I would have to go with the benchmade. I think the double edge would be more usefull in a defensive sitituation.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I personally own and carry the Grim Ripper as an EDC fixed blade. I can assure you its much more substantial and impressive in person! I gaurantee it will out cut, out penetrate, and all around out preform any other knife in its class. It is fairly heavy but I carry it hoizontal on my weak side and hardly notice it.

Go for the TOPS and dont look back. Youll be glad you did.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I have the benchmade that i carry on my duty belt everyday. I dont have any bad things to say about the grip. Seems to work just fine with me. And its dark so it blends in with the uniform so ppl are less likely to see it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Wouldn't the Benchmade be easier to sharpen?

Unless your an uber bad ass, I highly doubt that your push dagger will see enough use that you should be worried about sharpening it :laugh:. It's got one purpose: stab.

If I liked the grip equally, I would have to go with the benchmade. I think the double edge would be more usefull in a defensive sitituation.

I totally agree. Plus it's stainless steel instead of high carbon, so it's going to be lower maintenance (especially if you wear it on the boot). I'm a little biased though, since I'm a big fan of Benchmade.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have the benchmade that i carry on my duty belt everyday. I dont have any bad things to say about the grip. Seems to work just fine with me. And its dark so it blends in with the uniform so ppl are less likely to see it.

this is a big factor right here. I have a mini TDI that I have on my belt at one location that disappears unless you really look hard. I don't think I could hide the TOPS very well. I wonder what the TOPS handle looks like without the scales.....

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    this is a big factor right here. I have a mini TDI that I have on my belt at one location that disappears unless you really look hard. I don't think I could hide the TOPS very well. I wonder what the TOPS handle looks like without the scales.....

I normally carry my Grim Ripper appendix style more towards my weak side (left). So front left, hoizontal for right hand draw. I normally wear my undershirt tucked with an over shirt, and unless I show you im carrying it or if Im drawing it or storing it you would have no idea i had it. Take into account Im not exactly a small guy. Im 5'11" 220+ lbs. So my gut and loose clothes help.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have no idea what the Reaper looks like with out handles but if the color of the handles bother you then dye them black. It is not hard to do but if that is too much work then it sounds like you are moving towards the Benchmade. The rubber grip on the Benchmade might be a little better than the micarta handle but I think the micarta handle will last longer.

Top Bottom