New leather holster... super tight. Will it stretch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    gosport area
    my grand pa used to strech new boots by filling them with water and puten em in the freezer overnite.after they thawed out he would pour the water out,and wear em till they wer dry.he said they fit like a glove and felt like he was wearing socks.but grand pa was 82 and did a lot of strange things.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    my grand pa used to strech new boots by filling them with water and puten em in the freezer overnite.after they thawed out he would pour the water out,and wear em till they wer dry.he said they fit like a glove and felt like he was wearing socks.but grand pa was 82 and did a lot of strange things.
    Boot leather and holster leather are 2 different things though. My boots don't need to have retention, my holster does. People do all sorts of crazy things to a baseball mitt that I would never do to a holster.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Galco Product Information Guide:

UNLOAD YOUR HANDGUN.
    1. Place the unloaded firearm in a plastic freezer bag, or cover it in 2-3 layers of plastic kitchen wrap. Do not cover the grip.
    2. Insert the wrapped firearm slowly into the holster, gently twisting it side to side to minimze tearing of the bag or wrap.
    3. Once the firearm is completely seated in the hoslter, twist it about 1/16" in both directions 6-12 times.
    4. Allow the bagged/wrapped firearm to sit in the holster for at least 15 minutes.
    5. Remove the firearm from the holster and remove the bag or wrap.
    6. Insert the unloaded firearm into the holster, which should now be snug but not loose. If it is still too tight, repeat the above steps until the holster is broken in to your satisfaction.

If Your Holster Has A Retention Strap:
    1. Place your unloaded firearm into the holster.
    2. Hold the firearm grip in your right hand and the retention strap in your left.
    3. Prepare the strap for stretching by grasping the snap and pulling the strap taut (remove the slack)
    4. Twist the strap 90 degrees back and forth in a clockwise and counterclockwise rotation 10-12 times while keeping it taut.
    5. Firmly push the firearm away from you while pulling on the strap and continue rotating the strap.
    6. Release the tension for a moment and repeat two or three times.
    7. Pull the strap over the back of the firearm without releasing the tension.
    8. While maintaining the strong tension attempt to snap the retention strap closed.
    9. Repeat step 5 and 6 as needed.

It is common for the inside of a leather holster to scratch from a single holstering (called etching). A smooth leather lined holster will be even more subject to this normal occurrence. After this initial etching, the holster will custom fit your handgun.

Try Galco Draw-Ez applied to the inside of your leather holster to shorten the break-in period and provide a slicker draw.
    Draw-Ez only treats the interior surface of the leather and will not be absorbed by the leather or harm the finish of your firearm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've been able to repurpose a Galco Fletch by soaking it, putting the new gun into it with the gun in a bag, and them reshaping the holster to fit the new gun. I was able to get a stock Galco Fletch for a 1911 to fit a railed Sig 1911 that way. But, my goal was to give me a carry option while my custom holster was being made, so it was only expected to work for about 3 months. That was 2 years ago and the holster still works with the Sig just fine.

Glocksmith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Lafayette
    It'll loosen up. Wear it around the house and holster, draw, holster, draw, holster, draw while you're watching TV or something. Last one I broke in took about 2 weeks of wearing it and playing with it. Fits very nicely now.

sonofd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I would NOT use any oils that would soften the leather. Leather holsters need to be rather ridged and retain their shape to stay out of the trigger guard.

Remember this guy:

5547242684_47c99bdae4_m.jpg

5547242760_c73a55d78a_m.jpg

I'm sorry, but this was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. That holster didn't get like that overnight. So that means, each and every morning this guy strapped on this gun, and saw what poor condition the holster was in. He had to have seen the holster coming in contact with the trigger every day, and thought to himself "Oh sure. That won't be a problem at all". It just saddens me......

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have never used the sock method, but wrapped the gun several times with wax paper before inserting it into the holster.
    That's my method also. I wrap it with a piece folded over twice and force the gun in. I let it sit overnight then double the waxed paper the next night. After that it's a perfect fit. (You will probably have to have the paper long enough to slip over the muzzle so it doesn't slide when you try to cram it into the holster. I usually have to place the gun and holster muzzle up and lay the back of the slide on a wooden table and really push.)

Top Bottom