• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    Not a gun that appeals to me, but I think some ladies and older people might consider it an ideal pistol to carry.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    All M&Ps will be going to these grip safeties per S&W employee

I wont buy a S&W with a grip safety, but that's not why I won't buy a springfield.

Lord I hope not. I just started carrying an M&P 2.0 Compact over my Glock 19. I'll go back to my Glocks if the grip safety will be in all future releases of M&P's. I'll have to do some reading on this, but I certainly hope that was just bad info and won't be applicable to the striker fired pistols (this new model looks to be a hammer fired and based a lot on the M&P 22 LR model).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    All these people complaining about the thumb safety and the grip safety... Yet so many people like and carry the 1911 platform...

This is, essentially, a 1911-esque .380 dressed up in Shield guise.

This isn't the standard M&P action with an added grip safety. This is a completely different animal.

This gun is aimed at (See what I did there?) those who cannot handle the 9mm Shield for whatever the reason. My dad would probably enjoy this vs. the .38 Special J-frame that he thinks he wants.

I hope it sells well for them. And I hope that it puts another means of personal protection into the hands of those who otherwise can't operate a pistol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    All these people complaining about the thumb safety and the grip safety... Yet so many people like and carry the 1911 platform...

This isn't the standard M&P action with an added grip safety. This is a completely different animal.

This gun is aimed at (See what I did there?) those who cannot handle the 9mm Shield for whatever the reason. My dad would probably enjoy this vs. the .38 Special J-frame that he thinks he wants.

I hope it sells well for them. And I hope that it puts another means of personal protection into the hands of those who otherwise can't operate a pistol.

Agreed, my comment was in the vein of someone posting about grip safeties coming on all M&P models (rumor at this point until confirmed).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    The gun has no appeal TO ME...I showed it to my wife (who had two carpal tunnel surgeries and arthritis) who immediately expressed interest. Not sure it would replace the P239/938's but it has appeal. The bigger size should soak up some recoil and add the the shoot-ability of it.

It is hammer fired so I'm hoping for a trigger vastily above the bodyguard.

It might be a niche gun but niches need filled...

This is promising:

"[FONT=&quot]With a 4½-pound trigger pull and short reset, this pistol is quick and very accurate. At the time of this writing, Guns & Ammo is still testing the performance of this model for an upcoming print issue. That said, the M&P 380 Shield appears capable of holding sub-2¼ inch groups from 25 yards making it one of the most accurate .380s G&A has ever tested.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Read more: FIRST LOOK: Easy-To-Rack S&W M&P 380 Shield[/FONT]

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Maybe the grip safety because no hinged trigger 'safety'?
    I dunno, that's a trade off I'll consider as I've occasionally not had my finger positioned to activate the safety completely and it caught quite noticeably. I've never had a problem with vertically split trigger.

Are you a little old lady that is recoil sensitive? You don't "get it" because it is not intended for you.

Seriously, this is perfect for some people. The only pistol my wife LIKES is her Sig P250 in .380. Medium sized gun, not a compact, easy to rack slide, 15 rounds and shoots like a .22.

you describe my wife to a T. much prefers her chiappa MC14 (beretta 84 copy: large-ish .380) to anything else.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I think its interesting! Gun manufacturers dont make guns for gun people. This will sell well. I dont need one but i often carry a 1911 .380. It also has a grip and thumb safety. Me likey. One complaint, can we stop with the stupid word play. Call it "shield .380" or even "easy shield". The EZ reminds me of AOL instant messenger when I was in elementary school. DUMB.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    You guys are jumping all over this like it is personal. It has a target group apparently and if you aren't in that group why bash it ? I think it's great they made a pistol that will allow some to be able to carry for their personal protection. I'm not in that target group by I know people that are and want to shoot and carry. I've helped them try several handguns in hopes one would fit, this might be the ticket for them.

Take a breath guys.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

Give people half a reason and they'll complain about anything. It is almost forum etiquette to honor a new product with a liberal amount of complaining.

On a serious note, nobody seems to be talking about this being a hammer-fried gun. I believe that it makes perfect sense to have a grip safety on a hammer-fired handgun a the primary drop safety... It can't go BANG unless somebody is holding it.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Are you a little old lady that is recoil sensitive? You don't "get it" because it is not intended for you.

Seriously, this is perfect for some people. The only pistol my wife LIKES is her Sig P250 in .380. Medium sized gun, not a compact, easy to rack slide, 15 rounds and shoots like a .22.

MY wife is the same way. The only gun she likes carrying is her PK380, which is also mid-sized. She enjoys shooting full-sized 9s and govt model 1911s, but doesn't carry them due to size. The PK380 is easy to rack and recoils like a 22, that's why she likes it and uses it. She is the target market for this new Shield (and I'm sure there are MANY women out there like her).

EDIT: I reread this post and realized I made it sound like this is a firearm for women only, but there are plenty of men out there with arthritis or have had hand injuries or surgeries that give them reduced hand strength and having an easy to rack firearm is very appealing to them too. I also turned my father on the the PK380 because of reduced hand strength and he loves the handgun. Some people are just plain recoil sensitive, so having a mid-sized 380 (like this, the PK380, LC380, P250, G42, 1911-380, etc) that has very light recoil is also appealing. I will put my hands on one of these and see how it compares to the others.

Last edited:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Not for me, but i live the idea. Everyone will hate on it because it not up to their specs. Now the women that carry 22lr because it's all they can handle. Or the potential gun owner who is scared of guns but needs one, or is borderline due to "safety" this is a huge market that also reserves tgeir 2a right. Haters gonna hate but this isn't for them. Who knows maybe someday,these folks will be as cool as the rest of us tier 1 operators running our preferred fanboy gun. Might buy one for my mother, she might finally be able to better protect herself when dads at work.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    ShIElD thReE EiGhtY EzzZz sLIde

Do you have anything relevant to contribute? If you are going to mock the firearm, at least point out where you disagree with the manufacturer. However, I'm sure many of those perceived grievances can be countered with the fact that you are probably not the target market for this particular firearm.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Do you have anything relevant to contribute? If you are going to mock the firearm, at least point out where you disagree with the manufacturer. However, I'm sure many of those perceived grievances can be countered with the fact that you are probably not the target market for this particular firearm.

Check out post #32 my guy! Sheesh!

Top Bottom