• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Almost 5 oz heavier than a G42 (4.74 oz), and 0.55 oz heavier than a G43 (9mm).

Would think it may be good for folks who are especially recoil sensitive.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    Check out post #32 my guy! Sheesh!

That makes a little more sense, but it would have had more impact if it were contained in that post rather than a stand-alone post. Post #32 was definitely contributing......but #38 as a stand-alone (and there was plenty of contribution between 32 and 38, in fact 32 was no longer on the screen) just didn't work from this vantage point. I retract my 39th statement then.

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I wonder how the reception for the LCP II May have impacted the addition of the grip safety. I have seen many on the lcp forum indicating that they won’t ever carry one due to the possibility of an accidental discharge compared to the longer pull of the original LCP. I know we are talking about different companies and what I would assume a few years of product development but I’m still wondering.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Seems to be overkill with the model with grip safety AND thumb safety.

Like every 1911, ever? :dunno:

Walther scaled up/adapted their P22 into the PK380, and now it appears S&W is doing something similar with their M&P22C. It's a move most of us won't understand, because we (gun people) aren't the target market. I predict S&W is going to sell a crap-ton of them.

Last edited:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Like every 1911, ever? :dunno:

Walther scaled up/adapted their P22 into the PK380, and now it appears S&W is doing something similar with their M&P22C. It's a move most of us won't understand, because we (gun people) aren't the target market. I predict S&W is going to sell a crap-ton of them.

Does this shield have a 3lb SA trigger? So yeah, having both of those safties is probably a little overkill

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I love seeing guns like this come out. These are the gateway drug of guns. They are not designed for anyone that would frequent INGO but instead for those that are not into guns but have accepted the notion that it's better to be armed. After they've owned this one a bit, a lot of them will move up to more standard carry guns. But, for a lot of them, this is as far as they'll go and they will carry these things while becoming yet another voice in the crowd that demands respect for the 2nd Amendment.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I agree with everyone on the grip safety. Seems to be overkill with the model with grip safety AND thumb safety.

If both safetys make someone feel safe enough to carry it with one in the chamber, I'm all for it.

This is basiclly a beginners gun, kinda like a bike with training wheels.

It will sell good I predict.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I love seeing guns like this come out. These are the gateway drug of guns. They are not designed for anyone that would frequent INGO but instead for those that are not into guns but have accepted the notion that it's better to be armed. After they've owned this one a bit, a lot of them will move up to more standard carry guns. But, for a lot of them, this is as far as they'll go and they will carry these things while becoming yet another voice in the crowd that demands respect for the 2nd Amendment.

If both safetys make someone feel safe enough to carry it with one in the chamber, I'm all for it.

This is basiclly a beginners gun, kinda like a bike with training wheels.

It will sell good I predict.

So does this mean if folks wait a few months they'll be finding these for sub-$250 in the classifieds?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Julie has a teaser video up for the gun now. Says there will be a live video broadcast tonight at 7:00pm with more info.

[video=youtube;cZ-a9Opzofs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ-a9Opzofs[/video]

It does have a few features I like, one of them being the slight wings on the back of the slide. The slide looks as easy to work as the CCP, which my mother bought because it was the only one in the shop she could manipulate. They were both pretty upset when they were recalled. They haven't sent it in for the work yet, but she doesn't carry it anymore either. I'm sure we'll end up looking at one if these, but I'm also going to suggest she hold off to see if there are any problems and to let them get the bugs worked out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I did read about the "wings" on the back of the slide. I should help. Also the button on the side of the magazine, like a Ruger MK series .22 pistols seems to be a good idea also.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I think the extra inch of barrel is a good idea. Get a little bit of extra velocity on a low powered round. (Notice I didn't say under powered.) Large grips are harder to conceal than longer barrels, for me anyway.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    All these people complaining about the thumb safety and the grip safety... Yet so many people like and carry the 1911 platform...

This is, essentially, a 1911-esque .380 dressed up in Shield guise.

This isn't the standard M&P action with an added grip safety. This is a completely different animal.

This gun is aimed at (See what I did there?) those who cannot handle the 9mm Shield for whatever the reason. My dad would probably enjoy this vs. the .38 Special J-frame that he thinks he wants.

I hope it sells well for them. And I hope that it puts another means of personal protection into the hands of those who otherwise can't operate a pistol.

Exactly. I think this would be a great option for those who can't manipulate the slide on duty caliber guns, or feel the recoil is too much for them. I would much rather see them go to something like this (if reliable) than a .38 snub or a .22.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. I have to laugh reading this and applying it to myself.
    2. I sold everything in 1990 and kept only a Colt 380 and a little NAA 22 magnum.
    3. When I got back into guns I wanted a revolver for CC and a 22LR range gun.
    4. Then decided I also needed a 9mm. Then a 45. Then a 1911 style 22 (now looking for the "perfect 1911 9mm: I don't know which to buy, and only willing to spend less than a normal person :dunno: ).
    5. And, I"m still looking! I didn't have the money when younger, but even then I had a "bevy" of all the cheap .22s :laugh:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Exactly. I think this would be a great option for those who can't manipulate the slide on duty caliber guns, or feel the recoil is too much for them. I would much rather see them go to something like this (if reliable) than a .38 snub or a .22.

Agreed 100% on that front, and glad to see S&W being innovative and responding to needs that they see going unmet in the market.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Video won't embed.
    https://www.facebook.com/JulieGolob/videos/10156159951326983/

Okay, got me convinced. Will probably pick one up and try it out. I'm betting that my mother will like it better than the CCP in 9mm. She's in her early 70's and can work the CCP fairly well, but the 9mm still takes it's toll on her wrists and shooting sessions are pretty short. She likes our full size M&P 22's to play with so this may fit the bill after all. She didn't seem too opposed to the grip safety, as long as it doesn't "jam itself into my palm every shot". Pretty sure it won't, but in the video it doesn't look like it depresses flush.

At the very least, I think it will make a nice replacement for the Bersa 380 as a plinking gun. Never been a fan of traditional DA/SA. This will have a more consistent and familiar trigger pull. Who knows, maybe the wife will like it as well.

Shield 9mm 2.0 comes first though.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This is promising:

"[FONT=&amp]With a 4½-pound trigger pull and short reset, this pistol is quick and very accurate. At the time of this writing, Guns & Ammo is still testing the performance of this model for an upcoming print issue. That said, the M&P 380 Shield appears capable of holding sub-2¼ inch groups from 25 yards making it one of the most accurate .380s G&A has ever tested.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Read more: FIRST LOOK: Easy-To-Rack S&W M&P 380 Shield[/FONT]

This is the most I've seen with any detail.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I like a lot of small to medium pistols in smaller calibers. Makarov, CZ-82 & 83, Sig P230, Beretta 80 series. I honestly will likely pick one of these up at least to play with for a while. Heck, I think the longer barrel and slide design would be cool on a Shield 9mm. Only thing for me is I wish they had kept the semi-staggered design of the mag.. Capacity would likely have been 10 rounds then.

Top Bottom