• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    Well I picked up a VZ 24 today for 100 bucks, couldn't pass up that deal. It was made in 1937 and considering its 75 years old, I think its in pretty good shape. I'm in the process of cleaning it so after I finish cleaning it I will post up some pics.

I'm new to mausers this is my first one actually, is there anything I need to look out for such as checking the head space before I take it to the range so it doesn't blow up on me. And is there any type of ammo (8mm) to stay away from? I looked locally for ammo and no one carries it so I'll be ordering some shortly. Is there a specific way to get the bolt out of this gun because I cant seem to get it out.

Thanks for all the help.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is always wise to check the headspace on a rifle of this type. If a case separates though, you are well protected with the Mauser design.

On the left side of the rear receiver, there is a rectangular piece. Pull out on the front of it and it will release the bolt from the receiver.

As far asI know, any remaining mil-surp ammo is corrosive. I don't know of any ammo to stay away from.

You got a good deal at $100.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Pull the bolt back and pull this lever to the side.

vz24bolt.jpg

My vz24 hasn't had an issue with any ammo. I didn't have the head space checked, I just loaded it with a light load that I had and gave the trigger a squeeze. I've shot commercial out of it mostly but have quite a bit of surplus.

There are some pretty good videos on Youtube about breaking the gun down (it is pretty easy, when I broke my first down including the bolt...I just used some very short and basic write up on a surplus gun board). I can't find the board that I got the info from, seems as if it has changed the url and the re-route isn't working.

$100 is a nice price on a Mauser.

trigger_happy57

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    indy
    the guy at wannamaker guns told me to stay away from turkish surplus ammo bc apparently they liked to load em a little too hot and could possibly damage the gun

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    I have been running into a lot of Argentine ammo for much cheaper than 8mm lately. A bonus is that most Argy ammo is non-corrosive. Just have to hit the gun shows a keep a sharp eye out.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have been running into a lot of Argentine ammo for much cheaper than 8mm lately. A bonus is that most Argy ammo is non-corrosive. Just have to hit the gun shows a keep a sharp eye out.
    I bought some Prvi Partisan online for around 15 bucks for 20 rounds. I'll have to keep my eye open at the 1500 coming up.

corriedewilde

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    I do not know the history of the k88 and k98 in 8mm. But I do know that there are two different 8mm rounds. The older 7.92 x 57J had a 0.318 in. bore and bullet with a round nose. The later 7.92 x 57JS had a 0.323 in. bore and bullet (spitzer)

I would let a gunsmith slug the barrel and determine which ammo you should use.

This is a great rifle for hunting medium African game.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom