• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    I just inherited a rifle. It was from my great, great grandfather.

Its a US Springfield, 1884, trapdoor, 45-70. Its in rough shape but everything still works as it should and just needs a lot of TLC.

Anyone know where I can find info on these antiques? I can't wait to tear into it and start cleaning but I want to do my homework first.

Can I just email Springfield with serial numbers and markings and them give me the history on this fine weapon?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The Springfield Armory in Massachusetts was closed by the US Government in the 1960's. No way to get any info from them. The current Springfield Armory is a non-government, commercial entity in Illinois.

I had one of those rifles once. I took care to only shoot black powder loads out of it. It was a lot of fun to shoot.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    If it's all original don't do anything to it makes them worth more. Not that you would sell a great peice of your family history anyway. Great gun congrats

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    The "trapdoor" is the weakest action out of all of the 45-70 guns, not a bad thing though just make sure you stick to black powder loads. They are a blast to shoot.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    So I've been looking online and can't find some parts I'm looking for. Anyone know where I can get 45-70 +P+ ammo? Also looking into a nice rail to mount my Surefire / laser.
    Just spray painted the stock all black and put a red dot on it too.

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement! I'm kinda on the fence about whether or not to even shoot this thing. I would love to be the first one to pull the trigger on this puppy in 100 years.

Anyways, I'm waiting on a book I purchased to tell me more of the history on the gun. Then depending on how valuable it ends up being, I'll have a gunsmith check it out to make sure its safe before I shoot it.

Top Bottom