New Morakniv....A lot of woods knife for $20...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I bought two from Orscheln's Farm supply last week. They were about $12.oo apiece after the 15% off and $5.00 off for joining Orscheln's buyer club. One for my car and one for my wifes. I was disappointed though. I had heard how freaking sharp they were new but these, while sharp, weren't razor sharp. I used one on a rotisserie chicken from Krogers and it cut but not well.

I bought a couple of the 2 packs a couple of months ago when they were on sale for $20. I carry one when I'm out in the yard and threw a couple in the silverware drawer. A bit thicker than I prefer for kitchen duty but at least I know where they are if I need one when in the house. May pick up a couple of the 2 packs and put one in each vehicle. Already had a Light My Fire in our get home/bobs and often carry a small pukko with me when I go to town.
    Think I may have to give the mustard and vinegar trick a try and give them a little character!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Wanted to comment on the Morakniv. I bought a stainless for $30 and I'm really impressed with it. The plastic molded sheath doesn't have any retention so a leather one with a snap is needed. Got my eye on a leather holster for my CZ 75B and they also make sheaths.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I really do like Mora knives, and currently own 2. When I do a scouting party for Deer Season, I always carry a strongside CCW, and weakside, spare mag and a Mora. I use the "clip on sheath" and my companion is green and black color. My recent woods carry was a couple of miles from a gravel parking lot, heavy trails and of course Indiana Woodlands.
    After a mile or so, I did a pat on my left and my knife was gone. Did a quick recon and walked back towards the gravel area. Luck was on me this trip! My Mora was in the gravel easily seen. If the knife had fallen off in the woods.... Somebody would be enjoying a new found blade! I took a suggestion and wrapped some orange ducttape around the sheath, and a small loop of orange paracord around the handle in a loop to secure it. My leather 1 3/4 belt must not have clipped the sheath in place, so also decided to use a 1 1/2 in nylon BDU style belt. My other Mora got a sand down and fluroescent orange paint job on the handle(#2 had red handle). It is carried on a paracord (orange) lanyard in a leather sheath bought to fit perfect. (Cody Lundin style, Dual Survivor). I realize its a $20 knife, but it is mine! Good luck. Hint: Probably will buy an Orange sheath model in future. Easily carry a spare in backpack, as a camp knife or loaner to a lost one like above.

Last edited:

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    orange MoraKnivs

The two Moras I bought recently were both orange sheath/orange butt. I misplaced a knife in the leaves while field dressing a deer so it changed my way of thinking. These will be used as car knives along w/ blankets, water filter/ jugs and fire starting equipment. They may never be used but they will be available for use if necessary. I'll still carry my Spyderco for EDC and my Buck 110 for deer hunting.

Last edited:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Mustard on for an hour...Rinse then wrapped a paper towel soaked with red vinegar around the blade for an hour or so....

Thanks for this idea. I tried it on one last night. It came out decent. Are you able to repeat the process when/if it fades? Also, I didn't rinse between the mustard and the red vinegar phase, instead I just wiped it clean? Will that effect it in any way?

Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm sending a Mora to SWMBO's brother for Christmas. Instead of just the knife in the plastic bag, I'm going to customize a bit. I'm not going to blue the blade, but I am going to add some one inch Gorilla Tape and some #20 twisted bank line to the sheath, plus a small ferro rod and a shock cord loop for retention. I'm debating whether to file the spine to nice 90 deg corners for him, but I don't want it to look "used."

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Thanks for this idea. I tried it on one last night. It came out decent. Are you able to repeat the process when/if it fades? Also, I didn't rinse between the mustard and the red vinegar phase, instead I just wiped it clean? Will that effect it in any way?

Thanks!

It won't fade just get darker through use.....I didn't rinse either I just wiped it down....Post a pic if you don't mind...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's no surprise that people love the Garberg. MoraKniv has an excellent track record and the Garberg is at least in part a result of customer requests for specific features. They did a great job with that knife, especially when they made it thick enough to be strong, but thin enough to still cut things other than wood very well (spine thickness is about 1/8"). I don't have one (yet) because I have a few others that fill the same role, but someday I probably will.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I found that regular use darkens the blade a lot;i sliced tomatoes with mine when quite new, wiped it on my pants and put it in the sheath- a day pr 2 later, it looked nicely aged

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The daughter got a Eldris.I thought it was a funny little blade,but she said it is perfect.Says the blade is firmer for striking the fire stick.Had Mora's laying around for years.Figured out how sharpen the Mora ice auger blades ,and still on my first set.Good blades for the money.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The daughter got a Eldris.I thought it was a funny little blade,but she said it is perfect.Says the blade is firmer for striking the fire stick.Had Mora's laying around for years.Figured out how sharpen the Mora ice auger blades ,and still on my first set.Good blades for the money.

The Eldris is super handy for anything that doesn't absolutely require a longer blade. The short blade and full grip make it really easy to control.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I bought myself for Christmas the Craftline Robust. A 3.6 inch blade with a 1/8 inch thickness. I believe one could hollow out a canoe with this knife.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I bought myself for Christmas the Craftline Robust. A 3.6 inch blade with a 1/4 inch thickness. I believe one could hollow out a canoe with this knife.

1/4 inch thick? Sounds like a Mora built by Busse! I think you meant 1/8 inch thick.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I had kitchen duty at the in laws over the holidays. Needless to say all their knives sucked (I own sharper butter knives). Went out to the truck and grabbed my orange Mora. Was able to cut and chop all weekend. Not an ideal kitchen knife but at least I had a sharp knife.

Liked hearing the comments on the Eldris. On my short list, but want to hold one in my hand before buying.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom