• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I could no longer resist the appeal of an inexpensive piece of history-INGO is very much to blame:D Bite the Bullet(thanks, Mark) sold me a nice Mosin 91/30 , numbers matching,1938 Tula manufactured rifle complete with bayonet and all the goodies.Stock wood was not real dark-nice looking grain. Now the quest for ammo begins...and some time to shoot. Any specials on ammo around Indy or southern IN.?

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I'm still a little confused about how to tell if ammo is corrosive or not. I'm guessing cheap Russian ammo that AIM carries IS corrosive?Some websites claim anything after WWII is :dunno:not corrosive.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    I'm still a little confused about how to tell if ammo is corrosive or not. I'm guessing cheap Russian ammo that AIM carries IS corrosive?Some websites claim anything after WWII is :dunno:not corrosive.

And they (probably CTD) would be lying, I have yet to see any Military surplus 7.62x54r ammo that isn,t corrosive. However shooting surplus corrosive is no big deal, clean it when done and you will be fine.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    What he said ^

And they (probably CTD) would be lying, I have yet to see any Military surplus 7.62x54r ammo that isn,t corrosive. However shooting surplus corrosive is no big deal, clean it when done and you will be fine.

I agree, never found surplus 7.62x54r that isnt corrosive. From AIM its under $3.50/20rds if you buy 2 cans, or tulammo can be found on sale for $10/20rds.

Just clean it afterwards and you're good to go. Make sure your first cleaning is very thorough, eouldnt want to leave any cosmoline behind. If you end up having a sticky bolt, go ahead and be a little rough with it. 9 times out of 10, it'll open right up with a little convincing.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    After getting the cosmo out, Windex is your friend for the corrosive ammo! Scrub and clean the barrel w/ flannel patches, and use a bore light to see the rifling! Oil everything and get ammo can ready for next outing. Take an extra sweatshirt and or install a slip on recoil pad, and have a blast. Bought mine a few years ago and never looked back.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    After getting the cosmo out, Windex is your friend for the corrosive ammo! Scrub and clean the barrel w/ flannel patches, and use a bore light to see the rifling! Oil everything and get ammo can ready for next outing. Take an extra sweatshirt and or install a slip on recoil pad, and have a blast. Bought mine a few years ago and never looked back.

Windex isn't any better or worse than anything else at cleaning out the salts left by corrosive ammo. Water works fine.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

DO NOT USE WINDEX!

Where do people get this crap. Windex will pit your bore if you don't get it cleaned out.
    Simply swab the bore and barrel with hot soapy water, rinse, and dry. You're done.

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    IIRC most modern gun solvents are formulated to also clean corrosive ammo, I know Hoppes #9 is. I never really worry about it just clean it good, the Russians been using the same cartridge since the late 19th century and most bores that I've seen been pretty good. As for ammunition, I do a web search, there's a site called gun deals . com also has ammo deals listed that'll give you a ballparkish place to start.....I like sportsmans guide because shipping is what will peel ya, and also check out places with flat rate shipping, some ammo isnt covered by that. Good luck! Oh and ENJOY!

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I was pleasantly surprised to see almost all the cosmoline had been cleaned from the gun I bought. I have been shopping for the last couple weeks for a Mosin...was not too impressed with prices or looks of selection at most Indy area gun shops.Couldn't find any in Bloomington . I was about ready to order from J&G and pay the transfer fee until I found mine at Bite the Bullet. Lesson learned-------Shop close to home first:)

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I was shooting my 91/30 shoulder bumper this weekend. I bought it at MC Sports in Bloomington. An amazing piece of history that even I can shoot well. For $79.95, it's some of the best money I've ever spent!!

Garrett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indianapolis
    They are a lot of fun to shoot. My uncle has a really nice one. I plan on picking one up, I'm just sure what exactly I should be looking at to make sure I get a good one or decent one I should say.

Top Bottom