• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I went to 5-6 shops trying on several different brands. I picked the one that fit the best and was comfortable. It was an Arai brand $$$ It's one thing to put a price on your head, but this helmet provided a larger field of view. Something you want when riding on the roads today. Because you want to see everything possible coming at you! Did I want to spend that kind of dough on a helmet? No, but nothing else fit right or blocked my view. In the end, a helmet on your head is better than the one sitting at home because its not comfortable.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I went to 5-6 shops trying on several different brands. I picked the one that fit the best and was comfortable. It was an Arai brand $$$ It's one thing to put a price on your head, but this helmet provided a larger field of view. Something you want when riding on the roads today. Because you want to see everything possible coming at you! Did I want to spend that kind of dough on a helmet? No, but nothing else fit right or blocked my view. In the end, a helmet on your head is better than the one sitting at home because its not comfortable.
    Kinda like a gun.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I can't recommend AGV enough. Best Helmet I've ever worn, The AX-8 Dual Evo is what I have (I removed the peak) but they now offer the naked version sold without the peak. Don't let the MRPR price shock you, they can be found much cheaper at Revzilla, etc.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Never buy one on line, saving $50 means nothing if it does not fit right.

No matter how impressive the certification test, a comfortable helmet that you will wear is far more effective than an uncomfortable one strapped to the back of the seat. I would buy a $600 helmet if it was the one that fit. Once BELL quit making the USA Magnum Helmet, the Full face HJC became my go to brand. I would have paid twice the money without a single reservation, but I could not find a comfortable fit.

As I got older weight became an issue, not so much around town, but on distance rides. I rode 1050 mile days 7 times the last summer at Seminary. From Texas to my kid's house, saving motel costs. An extra couple of pounds beating your neck for 15 hours is a big difference. For example, the Pennsylvania turnpike is all concrete slabs that weather has shifted, and they are a helmet state. Hours and hours of pounding. My neck hurt so bad I checked into hotel to rest and came home the next day via Maryland/West Virginia to avoid the beating.

It is commonly recommended to replace a helmet every couple years. I store mine in a bag kept indoors, rather than baking in the sun, I think that makes a difference. Even kept clean, the interior starts to wear in about 4 years, So I would buy a new one then.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The real men around here go with a do rag and no muffler. The louder, the better. Seriously though, congrats on making the decision to wear a helmet. If you ride a lot, the light weight, good ventilation and sound dampening will make a difference. If like me (when I rode), I only used my bike as a commuter to and from work, so crash protection was my only concern.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The real men around here go with a do rag and no muffler. The louder, the better. Seriously though, congrats on making the decision to wear a helmet. If you ride a lot, the light weight, good ventilation and sound dampening will make a difference. If like me (when I rode), I only used my bike as a commuter to and from work, so crash protection was my only concern.
    I made an agreement with the wife to always wear a helmet when I bought the motorcycle.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As stated numerous times above, a lot matters on your head shape. I have a long oval head and am a bit harder to fit. My street helmets were Arai Signets before they were discontinued. I loved how comfortable they were, but the build quality was terrible on the three that I had (well, two of mine and one of my wife's).

Now I wear Scorpion helmets and like them. I bought this one last year and it is a really nice helmet for DS riding...

View attachment 53326

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-exo-at950-helmet

Just come on to this thread. I just ordered one of these from 'Zilla. Glad to see confirmation of good research.

scorpion_exoat950_neocon_helmet_silver_detail.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've kinda thought that I'd "upgrade" my communicator to the Sena 10C with this helmet, but I think that's more money than I choose to spend at this time. For now, I'll pull the Sena 20S from the older bucket.

Top Bottom