• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I'm about to move into a new neighborhood and I'd like to start on the right foot with my new neighbors. I'm thinking about handing out something like a business card with my phone number and email and letting them know I'm new to the neighborhood feel free to keep in touch with me should something arise. My only question is should I go door to door or put something in the mailbox? I don't want to seem like a creep or get too personal if some people don't like that but I would definitely like to have an open line of communication. It seems like a fairly open neighborhood and I've already had smiles and waves just looking at the house so I'm actually looking forward to it.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    I let THEM, come to me ..... I have never been bothered .....

The neighbors, are DIFFERENT, today, than 20-30 years ago ..... jmho .....
    :+1:

Don't touch mailboxes, it's a pet peeve for many and if they really wanted to push the issue I'm pretty sure it's only legal for the mail carrier and the residents to use the mailbox.

Wave, chances are any friendly neighbors will stop and say Hello as you are moving in. You can always use networking to your advantage, if one stops, ask them about the neighborhood and if they know other neighbors. It will give you a really good idea of the friendliness of each neighbor. If everything rolls swimmingly, invite some over for a bonfire/weenie roast and cold beer OUTSIDE. I for one don't like other people who are not family or close friends inside my home.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Get a kegerator. Put it in the garage. Sit out in a lawnchair in front of your garage a few evenings with the garage door open and you will have every man in the neighborhood stop by for a chat and a beer.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I say small cookout. They will probably decline but at least you will by then have introduced yourself, and if they don't decline you will have a better chance to learn more about them. But I will add caution, don't become great friends with your neighbors because if things go bad this can become awkward. Not to mention they will always be wanting to borrowing stuff like tools, sugar and your wife, things like that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    :+1: Get a bunch of ppl from here to OC on your lawn! No pistols though, only Daniel Boone style 5ft or longer rifles! A midget with a cannon wouldn't hurt either!
    Well, now that you've brought midgets into the equation, Skulldaddy should be along any minute now... :):

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I have a neighbor across the road who I haven't spoken to in 3 years. I've lived here about 3 1/2 years. I think I've actually seen him once or twice this year. I have no problem with him and as far as I know, he has no problem with me. If he needs something, he knows where I live. He stays over there, and I stay over here.

I like it that way.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Keep your fing dog off my lawn , don,t wast my time . If you have a real problem I will help, otherwise leave me alone . I do not live here for your entertainment . I am not your kid,s baby sitter . I don,t drink . Yes I am a great neighbor , if you love your privacy . If we have much in common ,we can spend time together ,but know your boundary,s . I like to keep my loved ones close, and real friends . Neighbor,s can be such a pain in the a$$ , scope them out before you get to close ,there will be some good ones , and lots of a$$ bags. Good luck.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I met my neighbors when I was mowing the yard. One came to me asking if I mind if they picked fruit off the trees on the property. I wouldn't give my personal info out until you know if they are good people or not.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would let them come over to my house. If you're outside working in your yard or something, I'm sure some would stop by.

If you put some midget strippers out in your yard, that'll probably cut down on visitors. These neighbors don't know how to party.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    "He was kind-of a 'quiet guy', kept pretty much to himself..."

Yeah, better to be the 'quiet guy' in the neighborhood... :laugh:

Most folks prefer openess, and personal contact. And folks LOVE to talk about themselves. And they're 'suspicious' of anyone they can't 'peg' right off the bat. Just human nature.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    Just let them come to you. Running around handing out business cards? Creeper stuff IMO. People will visit once they've had their own time to check you out. Or, they'll check you out and decide not to visit. Either way, you'll know where you stand. Take care of your place and you'll be fine.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    On a serious note, I think it's tacky to hand out a business card on your first neighborly introduction. My neighbor did that to me-first conversation and he wanted to be my realtor to sell my old house. It's one thing to exchange pleasantries about what you do, but just don't come off as a salesman the first time you speak to one another.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    We know our next door neighbors well, even have a key for their place for emergencies and to watch their dog when they go on vacations. We met them on move in and have talked ever since. One of them isn't in good health and she has us on speed dial should something arise like she's fallen and can't get up since we're nearly always home. We've talked to them and hung out since we moved in. Each year as it gets close to the fourth we show them the stash and let them know when to see the show.

Everyone else, I've said hi to, and that's the extent of it. I like my little island of isolation, and if they need something, they know how to find me. Otherwise, keep off my lawn and pick up your dogs poop. I've got enough of mine to clean up as is.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My only question is should I go door to door or put something in the mailbox?

Neither IMO.
    For one, putting something in someone's mailbox is actually illegal. As far as the introductions, I'd let them occur naturally. I for one am not a fan of an uninvited or unexpected knock at the door. Even my close friends and family know to call first. Now if I'm out working in the yard and a neighbor happens to be out as well, that's a different story.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everytime we get a new neighbor they try and become best friends overnight and want to come hang out every time they see us in the back yard. No thanks. I see you, I acknowledge you and your kids tore up my swing set....stay the hell over there an just wave hello.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom