• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Need some help deciding what to do about a situation that occurred last night. I recently (within the last 2 months) got new neighbors. they rent the house next door, and it sits on probably .5 acre lot next to my property. This morning i woke up with tire tracks going through the snow into my field. I went and checked and sure enough the tire tracks go from their driveway to my field for probably about 75 yards, turn around and go right back to their driveway where a hummer sits. My lawn wasnt tore up but i cant help but be upset that people ive never met before drove onto my lawn and used it as a personal turn around. Im not really sure what to do. :dunno:. Want to have a clear head before i contact them. Am i blowing this out of proportion? should i call the actual property owners or the renters? should i wait until it happens again and pull a gran torino? Figured my fellow hoosiers could help me out. :ingo:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    New neighbors two months ago and you've not gone to introduce yourself? Go over and meet them and if it happens again, you can then talk to them about it. You don't want to start a relationship from a negative.

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I would start the conversation the next time by segwaying in by casually asking about his Hummer and how it does in snow. Then casually bring up the fact you have a property line and things in your field he can not possible know are there. Finish with a compliment and state you would appreciate it if he did not do it again.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think Que has it right. It's always a good idea to know who your neighbors are. If it were me I would just talk to them about it. "Hey I noticed there were some tire tracks in my field coming from your driveway. Did you guys have a problem or something? Is there anything I can do to help?" You may very well know that they're just being inconsiderate but I find it always works better to act concerned than having the attitude that you're on the offensive. Try to catch flies with the honey first. Only if that doesn't work should you break out the fly swatter. :)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Build a snowman holding a sign that says "Achtung Minen" right in the middle of the tracks where they enter your field. Assemble other snowmen in various poses of having been blown up scattered throughout the field.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good advice here already. I really think you should mossy over and have a chat with them. Sometimes folks do not understand "Property" lines. If you are civil with them it should be OK. If they go A$$ hat on you, call the property owner.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yeah, don't go all postal on them to start, but do meet them, somewhere in the conversation tell them you couldn't help notice the tracks, and please don't do that again.

Man, I could do with a couple new neighbors myself, but we've been at it for years. The ones to the south and across the street are great, the ones out back are stupid but harmless, the one to the north needs to be kicked in the crotch every second for a thousand years, and the other ones across the street are either criminals or have many friends on the PD. One of our Carmel PD guys might know who I mean.

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Build a snowman holding a sign that says "Achtung Minen" right in the middle of the tracks where they enter your field. Assemble other snowmen in various poses of having been blown up scattered throughout the field.

lol... I've been laughing for the last 5 mins! :laugh:

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Go introduce yourself. Talk to them and say something like there is alot of sharp things under the grass and you are concerned they may tear a tire up. Make them think you are thinking in their best intrust.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Que is right, of course, but RH has me wondering. Nah, go with Que, hold RHs idea in reserve.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    I am a straight forward kinda guy. Wouldn't be rude, in fact I would be nice, but they would know after our conversation about driving on my lawn.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I havent talked with them but the husband came over and talked with a family member while i wasnt home when they first moved in. From what i heard he asked about some of the vehicles we had in the driveway which i thought was a little odd. Add the fact that the only lights in the house come on after midnight. It just seems suspicious. In fact when i was putting up christmas lights one night i looked over and saw someone standing in their yard looking my direction but it was dark and was only able to see the cherry of their cigarette lighting up, no lights were on in the house at all. I hate to say it but i just havent gotten a good vibe which is why i havent went over. Its too late tonight, but ill try to get over and talk with them tomorrow. i do like the land mine sign idea though.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Go over and introudce yourself as SSG, or 1st Lt. 20 some odd years, Ret. ORD. Disposal..... and YOU practice in your back field ..... THAT should make them WONDER !!!!! :twocents: :laugh:

chris46131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Franklin
    If you go over and introduce yourself, you may not have to bring it up at all. If you show up at the door this soon after the tracks show up in your yard he MAY be smart enough to put it together himself and realize "hey my neighbor pays attention, I should probably watch where I drive".

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Just call the police. After an incident I had with my somewhat new neighbors recently I will call the police and have them here for everything from now on. I tried to be nice and civil but that turned out to be the wrong thing to do so according to to Johnny Law and the agreement I made with him when they came out, any issues I have from there on out, I involve them.

IndianaRob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Well, I have dealt with this for some 8 years with an old neighbor. I even went as far as to plant trees to stop the driving through the yard. He just makes a new path. My advise would be to make a visit to their door, be polite, monitor the situation for reoccurance. If it continues just involve the Law and the property owner. Be as peacful as possible and hope they just made a mistake.

Top Bottom